Thread: TomTom navigation

Thanks

Default TomTom navigation

I have a significant problem with navigating to some roads that are outside towns. The usual mechanism is to select the town and then the address, but that isnt possible with roads that are outside towns. One example is Cox Rd which is East of Hanwood NSW. This shows up in google maps fine, but does not show up in the TomTom under any of the closest towns, Hanwood, Yoogali or Griffith.

When you drive down the road, it is correctly listed on the bottom of the TomTom, so it clearly is included in the map.

TomTom AU basically claims that there is nothing that can be done about it and that there is no way to navigate to that.

The problem appears to be that roads outside towns are not listed against any town and so you cannot navigate to them.

The problem isnt just with that road, there are plenty of other examples with the same problem, and not just in that area either, its easy to find other examples say outside Lismore too like Lincoln Ave which is East of Lismore.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

yeah i have the same problem with a allens lane 10 ks out of ardlethan google shows it it is on the tomtom when i get there just no matter what town i input it does not show big problem i have found with tomtom well not only tomtom i have a garmin and a cheapo gps with igo route 66 and they all have the same problem
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks

Default TomTom navigation

TT's inability to be able to Search by Street first has been a long acknowledged failure of their software. Products, such as Destinator, have always had this ability.

It remains a mystery why TT has not delivered on this functionality as it is important when searching for Streets just outside City boundaries, or when you simply do not know the exact suburb.

Using Destinator, I searched for Cox Rd - found the likely candidate in Riverina?!. Fired up TomTom and searched for Cox Rd Riverina - yep, there it is! Pity Riverina is not a City, but (maybe) Sensis can be blamed for this result.

Had no luck with Lincoln Ave, using either Destinator, Garmin or TT, with Sensis R14 maps. Route 66, with the latest Navteq 2008 (Q3) maps, shows Lincoln Ave in McLeans Ridges, (E of) Lismore. One up for Navteq and Route 66!

Tried Allens Ave, but neither Sensis nor Navteq based solutions offer up a solution near Ardlethan. Is your TomTom map version 720? However, Google Maps shows it as Allens Lane, about 10 km W of Ardlethan. Neither Sensis nor Navteq solutions know about Allens Ave or Lane.

TT, with 700.X maps, shows Allens Ave/Lane as Unnamed - do us a favour by using MapShare to enter the correct name.

In my experience, there are many roads in the country, outside of towns, that are either Unnamed or incorrectly named. Also, there are many missing, misplaced or phantom roads. Maybe with TomTom Mapshare more of these errors will be corrected by users.

Graham M

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post
    Using Destinator, I searched for Cox Rd - found the likely candidate in Riverina?!. Fired up TomTom and searched for Cox Rd Riverina - yep, there it is! Pity Riverina is not a City, but (maybe) Sensis can be blamed for this result.
    Thanks for that, hadn't notice that Riverina is a peudo town, and TT AU were too stupid to suggest that.

Tried Allens Ave, but neither Sensis nor Navteq based solutions offer up a solution near Ardlethan.
    Yeah, most of the other roads around Cox Rd from Google maps dont show up under Riverina either.

Is your TomTom map version 720?
    No, 675.1431

In my experience, there are many roads in the country, outside of towns, that are either Unnamed or incorrectly named. Also, there are many missing, misplaced or phantom roads.
    Yeah, but the main reason I raised Cox Rd is because it does show up correctly on the bottom of the TT screen when you drive down it.

Maybe with TomTom Mapshare more of these errors will be corrected by users.
    Yeah, I'm currently rather pissed off that my 710 got abandoned by TT on that and havent sprung for a 720, tho it would fix the other downside with the 710, its too thick to be convenient in your pocket outside the car in a city etc. I do like the user interface on the whole but hate not being able to search on street when it isnt in a town etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It probably wont make a difference but you are probably better off upgrading to V7. Any improvements that are made are likely to be corrected in updated software and maps.

Thanks

ok that worked named it allens lane it now comes up when i search allens lane ardlethan champion
    have added it to mapshare so if you get a chance se if it now comes up

Thanks

Hi Puca I have a oneXL with map V. 720.1868. I just updated and Allens street or lane as it is on Google map did not show up in street search but it is on the map but not named.
    Is your map upgrade for older version?

To be truthful I don't think I will be travelling there but on many trips down the Newell I have been to Ardelathan for a short stop. Just answering for your interest.

Raldaw

Thanks

hi buddy yeah i am running the same map as you i wonder how long it takes for tomtom to make the updates available for the general public i uploaded it before my post yesterday so knowing tomtom might take a day or 2 when i check mine i put in ardlethan and then allens lane and it now shows where it is