Thread: Connecting devices with old Monitors (d-sub) / VGA

Thanks

Default Connecting devices with old Monitors (d-sub) / VGA

Hello, i'm new to the site that seems amazing and rich of info, have a question might sound dumb for most of people here, as the title says :

I'm trying to connect any of my "digital sat receivers", almost all of them have "Composite, SCART" out, few of them have "HDMI" out, and none have d-sub/VGA out, with the so many monitors from the past having only VGA input.

I've heard there's adapters/converters, where they used to deliver one way video and not another, was confused which of them will serve me most, whether it was SCART > d-sub , or HDMI > d-sub.

Another thing is i noticed having an old "TV tuner box" that requires Antenna in, it has d-sub/VGA out already connected to monitor and working fine, my other question is can i somehow connect it to one of the "digital sat receivers", already tried a cable connected with "DSR's RF out" with "Tuner box Antenna in" and searched the tuner but nothing appears.

Any ideas

Thank you in advance, your posts will be appreciated

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

OK, firstly, I've moved your thread here as it's more about connecting sat boxes than computer networking.

SCART is just the name for a connector type and a SCART connector can carry several different types of audio and video signals, so you first need to know exactly the type of signals are present on your SCART connector.

The most common are Composite video, Component video and RGB video, along with analogue 2 channel audio.

Composite video is standard definition only and also has the poorest picture quality.

Remembering which way a converter works is simple.... From, is from the output of a device... and To, is the input of the other device.

Eg: HDMI to VGA would be converting the output of an HDMI device to the input of a VGA device.

You speak of having monitors having VGA inputs, but do not say if these are CRT or LCD screens.

There can be considerable differences between what both types of screen can display, in particular resolutions and scan types and rates.

Eg: Old screens will probably not be capable of displaying HD resolutions.

As for the 'TV Tuner Box' I assume you mean a DVB-T Set Top Box.

These vary depending on which country you are in, which you didn't mention.

With Austech being an Australian website, we assume posters are in Australia and are referring to Australian standards of equipment unless they tell us otherwise.

You cannot tune satellite frequencies on a terrestrial tuner or terrestrial frequencies on a satellite tuner.

The RF out of the satellite receiver is most likely analogue RF, intended to be tuned with an analogue TV tuner.

Terrestrial set top boxes mostly only have digital tuners in them, so they are unable to tune analogue signals.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the effort and everything, about the location i'm living in middle east, which isn't important as i'm not looking for antenna signal, instead since i'm having a TV tuner box that i could successfully connect to my monitor "LCD monitor" -although i have also a bunch of CRTs too but still didn't try- using a normal VGA cable, i'm trying to give this box a signal from my satellite receiver that is connected to a satellite LNB and supposed to be fully functioning, but the problem is tuning won't work with neither sat receiver.

It's like this :

Sat receiver connected to LNB/playing channels >> RF OUT >> TV BOX Tuner Antenna IN >> VGA OUT >> LCD Monitor.

See the pictures for devices below :

TV Tuner Box

and satellite receivers as this :

Edit : I'm aware of the stupidity dumbing video quality in the middle of this connection, was just interested to see TV channels on Monitors, since i have many monitors and many receivers too that are all outdated, to see if can be used somewhere around the home instead of collecting dust.
    Last edited by Davidson; 21-06-17 at 07:00 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

OK, so you're in the Middle East.... most Middle East countries use DVB-T or DVB-T2 for terrestrial transmissions.... which system does your country use (or name the actual country) and what system does the MTVBox in your pic receive?

I'm not familiar with ether device.

I found the pic of the MTV Box is just a web pic and if that's the model you have, I couldn't find any specs on it.

As I explained, the terrestrial DTV box will only tune digital terrestrial signals.

The RF out of you satellite box will not be outputting a compatible signal.

Eg: the MTV Box is not capable of tuning the RF out signal from the sat receiver.

If you can post the specifications of both boxes or a link to download the specs or operating manuals, I can tell you fer certain, but without them, I am 99.9% certain that is the problem.

Your description is somewhat confusing, as you said in your first post that "i noticed having an old "TV tuner box" that requires Antenna in, it has d-sub/VGA out already connected to monitor and working fine" but now you say " i'm not looking for antenna signal, instead since i'm having a TV tuner box that i could successfully connect to my monitor "LCD monitor".

As I understand it, that MTVBox is terrestrial only and you would need an antenna connected for it to work?

Once again, specs or manuals will help greatly.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The item in your photograph appears to be a MTV Box 1920e.

There are a few video presentations on Youtube that show the box and how it is connected - see and the additional links in the side panel.

Unfortunately, the language used is Russian so I'm unable to understand what is being said.

However, the videos might give you some idea of their intended purpose and how to connect them.

Edit: Further investigation leads me to believe that the unit shown in your post #3 is the same as the one at .

The specifications from that listing indicate that the unit has an analogue television tuner - not digital.

As the RF Out of all the satellite receivers I have seen is analogue, it should be possible to connect the unit as you have described, remembering that you will have to tune the 1920i box (using the Channel Up/Down buttons on the top of the 1920i) to the RF output frequency of the satellite receiver. The actual frequency (channel) is usually user-selectable and available via the relevant menu of the satellite receiver. Some experimentation might be necessary to get the channel/frequency correct.

If you cannot get that to work for some reason, try connecting an appropriate cable from the AV Out (SCART/EuroSCART/Péritel) connector on the rear of the satellite receiver to the AV Input socket on the 1920i box using a suitable cable (plus/and/or necessary adaptors), remembering to select the correct input via the push-button switches on the top of the 1920i (AV/SVideo). The relevant SCART pin connections can be found at .
    There appear to be RCA AV In or Out connectors on the front of the 1920.

This connection on the 1920i looks as if it is a 3.5mm plug with video and left/right stereo audio. Suggested pin configuration at .

Don't you have a manual for the MTV Box 1920i?

I now remember seeing a similar box to the 1920i being used for an identical application (to use a computer monitor for a display instead of a television receiver) many years ago.
    Last edited by tristen; 22-06-17 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks

Well, thank you buys for the helpful info, i made a mistake not linking the exact device since i couldn't easily find it on the internet, the device i finally found :

it's called Premium TV box, exactly as the one in the link.

And the country i'm living in is Jordan, if that helps, but from my previous experience the way i'm connecting devices should work fine, don't know what i'm missing or forget doing, i tried different tuning methods, one was Auto and other was Quick, and both say "VHF-L , VHF-H , UHF" and start searching MHZs without finding the receiver.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Your device is the receiver, it should be looking fro a transmitter. It sounds as though you got it talking to a monitor of some sorts, so now, all you need do is find a transmitter. Are you connected to an aerial or sat dish? Your scanning looks like it's looking for a terrestrial TV signal which means you'll need an aerial. As far as sat stuff is concerned, I have no expertise, so I shall leave you in other capable hands.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Still confused.

The latest device shown, Premium TV box says it is an analogue tuner using NTSC.

Jordan, to the best of my knowledge has never used NTSC, but used the PAL B system for analogue colour transmissions.

This was later replaced in the transition to digital where Jordan now utilises the DVB-T2 digital transmission system.

Basically, that box is not suitable for use in Jordan.

Thanks

Solved.

Finally i solved, connection is the same i was trying : Satellite Dish >> Satellite receiver >> RF out >> Premium TV Box "Antenna input" >> VGA out >> Monitor.

I had to make detailed search with patience that took much time, signal found at around 630.0 MHZ at UHF band which is almost the end of scan

Still having black and white photo, acceptable quality, i need to figure this out later it might be from Sat receiver or Antenna input because TV Box menu is colored

Thank you all so much, keep up the good work, and thanks for such a nice forum

Administrator
    Thanks

The reason you are not getting colour will be because the tuner is NTSC and does not match the output type of the satellite decoder.

If you have the option in the sat box to modulate the RF out in NTSC, that may work.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Hang around davidson, not only might you learn something, your experiences may actually also be a valuable resource to assist others, too.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...