Thread: Loop out connector

Thanks

Default Loop out connector

Hi I have just bought a Satking vast box with a loop out connector. Can I use this box as master box and then connect this to a second Altech 4121 decoder to be used in another room ? Or would I be better off getting a duel lnb and running another cable straight from the lnb to the Altech box
    Cheers Andy

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

You should be able to get away with using the single LNB and looping it through because all your VAST transponders (according to ) are on the vertical polarisation.

You will just have to switch one of the boxes' LNB Power to the "OFF" mode to avoid sending a second 13V voltage down the cable. As far as I know, you would leave the first box's LNB Power to "ON", and the second one that is getting it's signal via loop-through to the "OFF" mode. And, I reckon one should do this before connecting the LNB cable, because default setting is "ON". Switch the box on with no signal being input (zero on strength and quality), change the setting, save it, then power down, attach LNB cables, then power boxes back up. Just for safety's sake. I don't think the LNB would enjoy 26V running into it, or disconnecting/connecting it's feed whilst the box is on and powering it. Also, you can sometimes feel it shocking at the F-connector a little in your fingers if you do it that way.

In other words, the first box in the chain controls the LNB polarity. It will select vertical polarity by powering the LNB. Note that in this configuration, you WILL NOT be able to watch any horizontal channels on the second box, as long as the first box is set to a vertical channel. But, since it is only for VAST, you will only use the vertical channels, so it won't matter.

If they were mixed V and H channels (some transponders H and some V), then you would have a problem and would need to install the dual LNB instead, so each box gets its own feed.

If you were forced to use a single LNB, then to watch a horizontal channel on box 2, you would need to tune box 1 to a horizontal channel first. Basically, in this chain setup, both boxes need to be tuned to the same polarity. The first box controls because it is sending the power. The second box is sending zero power so it can only watch channels on the polarity box 1 is watching. Box 2 depends totally on box 1 basically.
    Last edited by irritant; 27-06-17 at 09:55 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

andyk (27-06-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Both ways will work. As Adrian said; all VAST channels are Vertical.

As dual output LNBf's are not expensive I would base my decision on which would be the shorter cable run or the easiest to implement.

One other thing you may run into if using the pass thru loop, is poor signal on the second box depending on whether the pass thru is amplified by the Satking or not. Experimentation will tell you.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

andyk (27-06-17),irritant (27-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    You should be able to get away with using the single LNB and looping it through because all your VAST transponders (according to ) are on the vertical polarisation.

You will just have to switch one of the boxes' LNB Power to the "OFF" mode to avoid sending a second 13V voltage down the cable. As far as I know, you would leave the first box's LNB Power to "ON", and the second one that is getting it's signal via loop-through to the "OFF" mode. And, I reckon one should do this before connecting the LNB cable, because default setting is "ON". Switch the box on with no signal being input (zero on strength and quality), change the setting, save it, then power down, attach LNB cables, then power boxes back up. Just for safety's sake. I don't think the LNB would enjoy 26V running into it, or disconnecting/connecting it's feed whilst the box is on and powering it. Also, you can sometimes feel it shocking at the F-connector a little in your fingers if you do it that way.

In other words, the first box in the chain controls the LNB polarity. It will select vertical polarity by powering the LNB. Note that in this configuration, you WILL NOT be able to watch any horizontal channels on the second box, as long as the first box is set to a vertical channel. But, since it is only for VAST, you will only use the vertical channels, so it won't matter.

If they were mixed V and H channels (some transponders H and some V), then you would have a problem and would need to install the dual LNB instead, so each box gets its own feed.

If you were forced to use a single LNB, then to watch a horizontal channel on box 2, you would need to tune box 1 to a horizontal channel first. Basically, in this chain setup, both boxes need to be tuned to the same polarity. The first box controls because it is sending the power. The second box is sending zero power so it can only watch channels on the polarity box 1 is watching. Box 2 depends totally on box 1 basically.
    Gday AdrianR and thanks . Because I live in a remote location and will power down the set top boxes when not in use then I assume that if I want the view Altech box that the lnb power will turned off on then the master box (Satking) would also have to be powered up at the same time to power the lnb

• The Following User Says Thank You to andyk For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-06-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post
    Gday AdrianR and thanks . Because I live in a remote location and will power down the set top boxes when not in use then I assume that if I want the view Altech box that the lnb power will turned off on then the master box (Satking) would also have to be powered up at the same time to power the lnb

Many thanks to you as well Tiny cheers andy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I would highly recommend using a dual output LNB.

The loop-thru output on the box is intended as a convenience thing to enable connection on another decoder in close proximity to the first box.

It may possibly work, but the dual LNB will be a more reliable method and give you true independent operation of each receiver.

Yes, as you figured, turning off the first box will block power to the LNB via the loop-thru.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

andyk (27-06-17),irritant (27-06-17)

Thanks

Many thanks for your input MTV ,
    I suppose at the end of the day the only extra cost to me is about 4 metres of coaxial cable as I already have the dual lnb anyway ( I shouldnt be such a tight a#*e :-) )
    As I said many thanks to all contributors this is a great forum
    Cheers Andy

• The Following User Says Thank You to andyk For This Useful Post:

irritant (27-06-17)

Thanks

Yeah, I didn't think about this, but seeing as your second box will be in another room all together, one might as well just install the dual LNB.

Loop-through was useful in the past when they used to stack several boxes on top of each other or in close proximity in a multi-box setup, and when they still used things like DiSEqC setups, etc. Like if you had one box with one Conditional Access system, and another with a different CA system, as an example. They use the same signal, but one decoded one set of channels, and the other, a different group. Or if you had one analogue and one digital box, they used to do this too. But all that is now long gone. Dual LNB is the norm I would say, just way more convenient and no signal limitations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyk View Post

Yeah, the primary box will have to be powered on, otherwise box 2 will get no signal.