Thread: NBN micronodes - does ANYONE have service off one yet?

Thanks

Default NBN micronodes - does ANYONE have service off one yet?

Well, it's been 18 months since NBN did the acceptance & commissioning testing of the local micronode that serves our area of the street. I spoke with the tech doing the testing who said it was the aim to get it up & providing service before the last federal election to earn some political brownie points. So much for that idea.

My research has led me to believe that no-one here locally has a service off a micronode. They all appear to be powered up, tested and ready... but not carrying any services. Me thinks NBN have made a major cock up and purchased incompatible micronode equipment?

Can anyone prove me wrong on that... does anyone have a service originating from a micronode?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I think there is a couple of speculations happening out thee with regards to these... I'm in the same boat, there is one sitting at our front gate that I've noticed a couple of tech occasionally come past and open up to look inside - apparently this one had battery issues and they were their to look at that. That aside, there were a few dates floating about for possible activation dates. From what I've read, and as I said it is all speculation, there are possibly a couple of issues with the micro nodes.

1. Apparently Telstra still have ownership and jurisdiction of the physical copper lines - because of this NBN are not allowed to modify the lines. From what I take of this, as the micro nodes are placed at points where pre existing pillars do not reside - for NBN to connect they would have to cut the exisiting feeder cables (the multicore suckers that run down the street) and either build a pillar, or assumable reroute the cable to the micro node - this I assume would be difficult as not everybody is yet willing to sign over to the NBN and doing so would render ADSL and Telstra lines useless

2. As you said the equipment is incompatible - although I find this one a little hard to believe as they are still proceeding to roll out micro nodes near where I am.

3. Changing of minds and technology - I believe there are some places that started of with FTTN via micro nodes that have since planned to be changed to FTTC.

4. Overall, who really knows - unfortunately NBNCo seem to be pretty good at not giving out any valuable information.