Thread: Sonnan battery offer

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Sonnen battery offer

This may be of interest to those who already have panels and contemplating battery storage, no one has read the fine print yet, but draw your own conclusions
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

mtv (06-07-17),Tiny (06-07-17)

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

The start of the end of Power Utilities as we know them, if they fail to adapt, they will implode.

This is the beginning of the scenario predicted a couple of years back which I covered here -As more people adopt solar power generation on their roof tops & therefore buy less power from the power companies, the power companies put their prices up to keep their profit level, thus making generating & storing power in batteries more economical to the end user than paying ridiculous costs for Grid power.
    This turns into a repeating cycle of power companies raising prices & consumers generating & storing more of their own.
    The power companies have entered into the spiral of death for themselves if they fail to adapt & become economically competitive with the alternative power sources.

Good on Ostermann & Sonnen for jumping in & providing what looks to be a viable alternative to the current grid connect debacle. I'm sure many more battery suppliers, solar panel suppliers & developers will take Sonnens lead & come up with their own schemes.
    It may be difficult at first to convince people to pay a lump some for their battery storage & so I see finance companies coming in on the plans to make the monthly payment options viable & still economically appealing against paying the current Power companies electricity & network charges.
    I know Tesla have been in the market for awhile now with their power walls, however I feel their pricing for their systems is not yet appealing.
    Fun times ahead.
    Last edited by Tiny; 06-07-17 at 04:15 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (09-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

geez i would love a battery , but our 10 panel system is only 2.5kw. even then im looking at adding 2 extra panels to make it actually put out 2.5kw.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

They looking for new share holders are they
    They have a pretty good list of them, GE, can't get bigger in Wind Power.

I am surprised new homes aren't being designed with Battery Banks in mind these days
    I can see the day shortly when there is a dedicated energy room or external alcove for Batteries and Solar Inverters.
    Amazed the "Im so Green" Shire's haven't made it part of the building code yet, like water tanks.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-07-17 at 09:12 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    They looking for new share holders are they
    They have a pretty good list of them, GE, can't get bigger in Wind Power.

I am surprised new homes aren't being designed with Battery Banks in mind these days
    I can see the day shortly when there is a dedicated energy room or external alcove for Batteries and Solar Inverters.
    Amazed the "Im so Green" Shire's haven't made it part of the building code yet, like water tanks.
    It appears the Sonnen is an internal battery storage unit (5-40c) or warranty void. Wonder how that will go with the new regulations that are being touted?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Internal would be a better option.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    It appears the Sonnen is an internal battery storage unit (5-40c) or warranty void. Wonder how that will go with the new regulations that are being touted?
    Can't see it being a problem as they will likely be SLA with protective circuit breakers & fuses to prevent any accidents.
    There are already regulations in place for the installation & location of in house battery systems, thousands of remote dwellings have them.
    I have 2000Ah of SLA's in my house with all the protection necessary. Have been living with house batteries for 23 years now, the old vented lead acid was a bit woofy some times if they were gassing heavily during cell equalisation, but that's not a problem with SLA's.
    Lithium technology is getting extremely safe now; so I can't see Lithium as a problem in house either.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I don't get the benefit using this Sonnen deal.
    Looking at the small system I have to invest for the cost of 5kW of panels + 8kW/h storage battery out of my pocket.
    Of course, you also need the battery storage, which might cost around $15,000 for an average system.
    I am producing 30kW/h a day, yet only get 20kW/h allowance.
    Why would I pay them to give away my 10kW/h for them to earn in peak demand?

I mentioned a while ago on this forum an electricity supplier that was offering feed in tarifs based on spot prices which could be quite high in peak periods.
    The idea was to charge the battery in the day and dump it into the grid in a hour or two when these spot prices could be well over a dollar when there is peak demand.
    However when I checked them later on it all seemed somewhat obscure.
    I assume Sonnen is attempting to do exactly that, only they are earning big dumping that extra 10kW/h and not you as the provider(finacially) of the infrastructure.
    That I also have to pay a monthly fee is then like a slap in the face.
    That is how I see it, but please prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-07-17 at 09:32 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...