Thread: How do fix this - Damaged film ribbon type connector

Premium Member

Thanks

Default How do fix this - Damaged film ribbon type connector

Hi all,
    Having a go at repairing a iMac and on opening up the screen (Lifting from the top), I found this ribbon connector and 3 others (with connector blocks), unattached.

I've connected the others but this 'ribbon' has one of its 4 'film connections', damaged. It actually has two - the two on the right of the pics.
    You can see where the connector block is below in one of the pics.
    I'd guess it's been ripped out as any normal person would have lifted the screen 'up'!

Yet there is little play, about 3inches in screen height that it has to be slid into the block.

Any suggestions on how to get this ribbon into the block?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Perhaps you will be able to replace the damaged/missing contact with a piece of shim copper cut to the same size, set in place, and then connected via a short piece of wire-wrap wire further up the ribbon connector.

Edit: Alternatively, try to obtain a replacement cable of similar length, such as that illustrated at .

RS Components and Farnell-Element14 have branches in Eastern Australia.

Check their websites.
    Last edited by tristen; 06-07-17 at 08:44 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

GT250 (07-07-17),xapi (09-07-17)

Thanks

I don't know if this is what you're looking at or not.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tw2005 For This Useful Post:

GT250 (07-07-17)

Thanks

Bit hard to tell from you pictures, but I am assuming the copped has lifted and is not actually broken off?? If so, I've had luck with glueing the copper back down, then carefully using fine grit sand paper, cleaning up the contacts (and removing any stray glue)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gitch For This Useful Post:

GT250 (07-07-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tw2005 View Post
    I don't know if this is what you're looking at or not.

Great find Tw2005!
    Might have to go down that track, just didn't want to remove the whole screen as there are other screen connections to the mobo. Won't be to bad though if I have to go down that track.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post
    Bit hard to tell from you pictures, but I am assuming the copped has lifted and is not actually broken off?? If so, I've had luck with gluing the copper back down, then carefully using fine grit sand paper, cleaning up the contacts (and removing any stray glue)
    Yes Glitch, it has lifted. I wondered if 'sticking them down' would be strong enough to withstand the insert.
    Might have a go first as I can do that this weekend.

Just good old Super Glue?

• The Following User Says Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

xapi (09-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I have repaired a couple of ribbon leads with superglue, but it's a bit hit and miss, especially if the connector doesn't have a release mechanism. Don't know if the ones on the board do, I have never played with Apple stuff. First try and make the contact strip as flat as possible by putting a flat surface under the ribbon contact area and rubbing down the strips with something smooth and round like a metal shaft of some kind. Be very careful not to damage the strip further when doing this. Then using a very thin layer of superglue, glue the strip down and clamp it between 2 flat surfaces. Once dry, use a scapel blade to scrape away any excess glue (again with great care). You may be able to bevel the leading edge of the contact strip a bit with a switch contact file, if you have one, if not, some extremely fine wet and dry (600 to 800 grit). A spray with some good quality contact cleaner, after cleaning away any glue on the contact strips before re-inserting will help when inserting also, as it leaves a very fine lubricant on the strips. Although it's very hard to see from the pics, it looks more like insertion damage rather than extraction damage (crinkle in one of the strips), which is a common problem.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

GT250 (08-07-17),mtv (07-07-17),xapi (09-07-17)

Thanks

I've repair quite a few of these. Are you able to get closer clearer photos of the ribbon and connector ? ... with camera set to macro ?

If it's a straight out flat ribbon you can repair it by shortening.
    Cut the damaged end off square with scissors.
    Mark the length of the ribbon you need exposed. (draw a line across it)
    Lay the ribbon flat on a board and taking your time, scrape the plastic coating off to expose the copper. Be gentle so as to not crinkle the copper.
    Lastly, if it has that blue plastic backing you'll want to replace it. Cut a piece of plastic (the same as you see on a shirt box), and glue it to the back, trim with a sharp knife. That type of plastic is usually the right thickness to engage the connector correctly.
    When gluing it's best to flatten it in a vice until set. Use soft jaws like a couple of thin pieces of wood. I always have strips of masonite handy to use as soft jaws.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 07-07-17 at 02:18 PM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

GT250 (08-07-17),mtv (07-07-17),tristen (07-07-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

Yeah, Bm54,
    I've glued them on (two were lifted), and used 400 paper to clean off any residue.
    I'll do as you suggest and bevel the edge and then use a lubricant electronic spray of which I have.

I have to wait for a bootable usb stick to arrive and then pop a HDD into it, before I risk slipping the connector back in. I'm hoping for a grey screen with a folder with a ? in it flashing. Then I'll know of the connector is ok.

Loopyloo, I can see what you mean, but I think that that procedure will be a last resort (like stuck on the ISS). I'd probably just get the replacement cable and go through the hassle of removing the screen altogether.
    It's also damn difficult to work on it as there's only about 3cm that can protrude out of the chassis and the jaw opening of the chassis to screen is only about 20º.

As it is, I prodded the glued slithers a bit and they seemed to be sturdily in place. I'll do bm54's bevel and lube method as well.

• The Following User Says Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (09-07-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

. (wrong info so deleted)
    Last edited by mandc; 08-07-17 at 05:08 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

xapi (09-07-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

UPDATE:

Used a right angled pair or tweezers and VERY carefully slipped it in... Did the Bevel and Lube trick and it went in. It didn't go as far as I thought, so I was feeling apprehensive over screwing it all up and firing it up.
    Turned on and the screen lit fully , then the usual startup and got the OS in, the screen is all good

So MANY MANY thank you's (Is that a real word?), for all your help and advice. Put a 80gb in it and i'll cross the bridge of opening the screen REAL CAREFULLY to get it out and put a SSD in at a later stage.

Such a shame to have thrown it away. I'll pass it on to someone who can make better use of it than me - I'm a PC man

Once again, thank you to everybody.
    GT250

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (14-07-17),mtv (14-07-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GT250 View Post
    ....Such a shame to have thrown it away. I'll pass it on to someone who can make better use of it than me - I'm a PC man
    ...GT250
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you have it sorted now.

Why don't you keep it and learn how to use OS X.

It's a very robust and stable operating system and there is little that it won't do.

Although I use Windows and have been doing so for many, many years, I find OS X easy to use and virtually trouble-free.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Just an aside... I've always been a PC man too, but recently I was forced to use a Mac for work and as hard as it is to admit... I actually find it very nice and responsive to use.