Thread: Hyundai i20 keys

Thanks

Default Hyundai i20 keys

Dont break your ignition lock, Just cost me $652 to fit new Barrel plus program my original keys, it all started when i took my car in to get 4 tyres the guy must have pulled the key out when the ignition was on and stuffed the barrel but the tyre place wouldnt admit it, Hyundai dealer was next door so i towed my car there, they rang me the next day and said it would be $652, when i looked at the bill it said $370 for labour the rest was for the locksmith etc. $370 labour for something that should take 1/2 to 1 hour to fit barrel, i wont be back to any Hyundai dealers any time soon ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HILLVIEW103 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-07-17),irritant (11-07-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

very common on new cars unfortunately , even pussboxes like Daewoos and Astras can cost that sort of money to replace just a key , no barrel!! . European cars can cost way more than that .
    Had a broken key head immobiliser / chip issue on a previous Magna which was going to need a matching second hand ECU / BEM , barrel etc , was going to be hundreds. So did some searching and found a way to bypass the immobiliser for just the cost of a cable and some software

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

admin (14-07-17),eaglem (12-07-17),enf (11-07-17),irritant (11-07-17)

Thanks

yeah should have got some one a carton of beer to hot wire it, would have been cheaper.

Thanks

modern cars cannot be hotwired , the ECU has the immobiliser function built into the ECU , which communicates with a separate key code reciever. If the two codes dont match the engine wont start.
    on the Magna i had to hack into the software and change some codes , which is amazing for someone with my lack of computer talent .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    modern cars cannot be hotwired , the ECU has the immobiliser function built into the ECU , which communicates with a separate key code reciever. If the two codes dont match the engine wont start.
    on the Magna i had to hack into the software and change some codes , which is amazing for someone with my lack of computer talent .

Thats interesting, how is it then that modern cars get stolen every day. !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HILLVIEW103 View Post
    or does it mean they all had the keys in the ignition !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HILLVIEW103 View Post
    usually, crims will break into houses first , get the keys then come back for the car later. Often they are opportunistic , like driving off when owners are filling up at servos etc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    usually, crims will break into houses first , get the keys then come back for the car later. Often they are opportunistic , like driving off when owners are filling up at servos etc
    well done, never thought about that one. but i did see many ways to start the car on the net... but a bit over my head.