Thread: NBN Connection Box - Gateway modem

Thanks

Default NBN Connection Box - Gateway modem

Hello

I live above retail strip in single residence - 3 level apartment

NBN are connecting the NBn Utility Box to front of my apartment on 1st floor from a Telephone post with RG6 cabling.

I have a central Cable Hub towards the rear of my apartment and I fear the NBN Techs will find a reason not to run my cable to this Hub .( It would be a physical challenge)

Within the Cable Hub are located all my Cat6 cables, TV cables, Phone connections from the various rooms ( bedrooms, study, TV , kitchen etc ) feed back to this Hub.

Is it possible to set up the NBN Connection Box and Modem in my study and then connect the modem to the RJ45 wall socket which leads back to my Cable Hub.
    Will this allow all the other rooms to be wired ( via a switch / batch Board ) to the NBN ?
    If I have a phone socket leading back to my Cable Hub, will this allow me to connect my phone ?

Is my NBN connection compromised ( data speed ) if the NBN Techs sets up the NBn Connection Box and Gateway Modem in my study and then I connect the Gateway Modem by a Cat6 cable to the wall socket which cable runs back to the Cable Hub ?

Given that a Utility Box is attached to my front wall on the 1st level are there any suggestions / pit falls that I should be aware off when having NBN techs wire the Utility Box to the Connection Box to the Modem ?

Any wiring configuration that I should avoid or insist upon?

Having tried to engage the NBN is these discussions but they have not been forthcoming with any advice .

Regards

Jack

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Hi Jack,

Firstly, I've moved your thread here, as it's specifically related to the NBN.

Obviously, your NBN being connected on RG6 coax is via the HFC (Foxtel) cable.

The NBN location will most likely be placed where your Foxtel cable enters your apartment.

Other viable options will be discussed with you by the installer on the day.

If you have a Cat6 cable between where the NBN modem is installed, yes, that cable can indeed be used to connect to a router/switch where your data hub is located.

There will be a phone connection on the NBN modem. You can connect that port to your apartment phone cabling.

The NBN modem cannot be moved from the connection location wher it is installed by NBN.

The data and phone connections that extend from the NBN modem can be anywhere in your apartment. Eg: extended via Cat6 cable to your hub.

There will be no reduction of NBN speed connecting things via this method (it's very commonly done this way).

Normal speed limitation will occur, such as traffic levels, number of devices in use and data intensity, your provider limitations, etc... your Ca6 cabling will have no direct impact.

If you have Cat6 cabling in-situ to extend the ports from the NBN modem to your data hub, what you are proposing should work fine.