Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ludlam & Other Pollies Who Can't Recall Their Citizenship

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

This is the problem isn't it....I have no doubt that none of these turkeys set out to indulge in subterfuge, but really....I wonder if we went back how many there have been, and if anyone has actually really checked before.

If politicians can't even get this right, what chance do we have with ANY of them? These mistakes, corruption in every state at federal and state levels, lies (now just open and blatant)....FFS, whats the point?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (14-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Barnaby will be feeling the strain. Perhaps Julia Gillard could call him up as part of her new role as beyondblue chairperson.

"Hi Barnaby. Are you OK?".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

If you are Born in Australia by Foreign Parents you are automatically Australian, unless your parents apply to their Country of origin.
    You are entitled to apply for Citizenship of your parents Country, at a later date, but it is not automatic.

Another example of FAKE REPORTING.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reschs View Post
    If you are Born in Australia by Foreign Parents you are automatically Australian, unless your parents apply to their Country of origin.
    You are entitled to apply for Citizenship of your parents Country, at a later date, but it is not automatic.

Another example of FAKE REPORTING.
    Is this FAKE REPORTING as well?

Get yourself an NZ passport when born overseas

1.What you need to know

If you were born overseas and at least 1 of your parents is a New Zealand citizen by birth or grant, you can register as an NZ citizen by descent and get an NZ passport.

Who can get it

If you were born overseas and at least 1 of your parents is a New Zealand citizen by birth or grant, you ARE an NZ citizen by descent.
    To get yourself an NZ passport, you need to register your citizenship. You can order a passport at the same time by ticking a box on the form.

If you are under 16, you apply for citizenship as a child.

So, reading that non-fake news from the NZ Government website, it would seem that the need to register ones' NZ Citizenship by Descent is only necessary for the purpose of acquiring a NZ passport.

Regardless of registration or not, if born overseas to a NZ parent, one is automatically a NZ Citizen by Descent.

Pretty clear really.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

mtv (15-08-17)

Thanks

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words.

The sheep doesn't look all that happy

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (15-08-17),Mr 672A (15-08-17),mtv (15-08-17),Uncle Fester (15-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Is this FAKE REPORTING as well?

So, reading that non-fake news from the NZ Government website, it would seem that the need to register ones' NZ Citizenship by Descent is only necessary for the purpose of acquiring a NZ passport.

Regardless of registration or not, if born overseas to a NZ parent, one is automatically a NZ Citizen by Descent.

Pretty clear really.
    Interesting. Did not work that way with my cousin.
    He had to apply for his citizenship. His father was NZ and mother AUS.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Jonny Depp must be laughing his arse off.
    Australian Rules ... apply to everybody
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Sounds like we need a new election with ONLY candidates WHO CAN PROVE that they are Dinky Di! Maybe we might just get some pollies who are interested ONLY in OZ.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-08-17)

Thanks

For the bush lawyers in our midst, or those who have too much time on their hands courtesy of the crap Victorian weather, the link below is to a Background Paper prepared by the Parliamentary Research Service, which delves into the history and application of Section s.44(i) of the Australian Constitution.

It's a bit ponderous at 86 pages, but there's some very interesting stuff in it, and it's written in a reasonably comprehensible manner.

Parliamentary
    Research Service

Background Paper Number 29

Dual·Citizenship, Foreign
    Allegiance and s.44(i) of
    the Australian Constitution

Thanks

They should have a full audit of all pollies.....

I am not sure Abbott & Gillard complied.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its pretty clear that given the amount of politicians involved (and the amount of others potentially affected) that the issue be referred to the high court and all current Federal politicians are reviewed as far too much time is being spent on this issue and not enough on important matters.

Turnbull has asked Shorten to pretty much do exactly that and Shorten has refused. Shorten seems to be quite happy to do what he can to destroy the government, including destroying the country at the same time.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Logic might dictate that there were many pollies in previous parliaments that were not "true" Aussie citizens. It might be worthwhile declaring an amnesty at this point and saying, if you are not eligible according to the rules, fix it NOW, or resign. If you fail to do so, you will be sacked, you will have to pay the bill for the by-election and, re-pay ALL of your earnings from the time you were elected. Of course, I doubt that such legislation (I'm sure that is what would be needed) would be acceptable to any of the parties, Greens especially.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (18-08-17)

Thanks

And another one bites the dust.

Nationals deputy leader Fiona Nash reveals she has dual citizenship

This is getting beyond a joke.

If these people are incapable of verifying something as straightforward as their citizenship status, how the hell can we trust them to properly research and understand the complex national issues that confront them on a daily basis in their role as legislators?

And bear in mind that, at the time of preselection, they have the resources and facilities of a national Party machine at their disposal......so "mummy didn't tell me" doesn't really cut it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Its pretty clear that given the amount of politicians involved (and the amount of others potentially affected) that the issue be referred to the high court and all current Federal politicians are reviewed as far too much time is being spent on this issue and not enough on important matters.

Turnbull has asked Shorten to pretty much do exactly that and Shorten has refused. Shorten seems to be quite happy to do what he can to destroy the government, including destroying the country at the same time.
    Did you not observe the repeated attempts by the Liberal opposition to destroy the previous Labor government?

That's what Oppositions do......unfortunately.

Frankly, I think that the destruction of this particular emasculated, directionless government would be a blessed relief for the country........and, far from destroying the country, it might actually start making some progress.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Bill Shorten kind of prised open this can of worms....so I see no reason why all politicians in parliament aren't immediately subject to a full examination. In addition, any former politicians who were appointed to official positions post government who were non compliant at their election should also be removed.

I think the whole thing is a rather sad and sordid ALP sideshow perpetuated by those who have nothing substantial whatsoever to offer to the nation. Surely if we are going to go down this path, then ALL politicians should be subjected to a full and complete public muckrake. It won't just be citizenship skeletons that fall out of the closet....AND if we are happy with these tactics as some seem to be, then we can all expect endless years of it to the detriment of the country as a whole.

To me it doesn't bode well....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Could you provide a link to that please.

My understanding is that Turnbull has done everything in his power to frustrate inquiries into the status of members of his party and cabinet.

His Ministers have refused to provide documents pertaining to their status, and Turnbull has allowed them to remain in their cabinet positions.

Doesn't strike me as the actions of one who wants to quickly get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks

Welcome to the Twilight Zone!!

Nick Xenophon checks possible dual citizenship with British Home Office

South Australian senator Nick Xenophon is making inquiries with the British Home Office about his citizenship status.

Senator Xenophon's father Theodoros Xenophou is from Cyprus, which was a British colony until 1960, and records show he travelled to Australia in 1951 as a British citizen.

To think that we have been laughing about Trumps' administration.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 18-08-17 at 12:35 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Did you not observe the repeated attempts by the Liberal opposition to destroy the previous Labor government?

That's what Oppositions do......unfortunately.

Frankly, I think that the destruction of this particular emasculated, directionless government would be a blessed relief for the country........and, far from destroying the country, it might actually start making some progress.
    And up until recently, there was a limit to what oppositions would do. Shorten and Labor have no regard for this country at all.

As to directionless government, how can you do anything when Labor and the Greens block literally every single thing that goes to the senate ? Just for the sake of it.

If you dont like what we have now, I doubt you are going to like King Bill and his republic. There wont be a need for a senate then of course.

Administrator
    Thanks

Could you provide a link to that please.

My understanding is that Turnbull has done everything in his power to frustrate inquiries into the status of members of his party and cabinet.

His Ministers have refused to provide documents pertaining to their status, and Turnbull has allowed them to remain in their cabinet positions.

Doesn't strike me as the actions of one who wants to quickly get to the bottom of the issue.
    I am sure you could find it with a Google. Probably not on the ABC website though.

Turnbull sent Shorten a letter advising that any coalition politicians under a cloud would be referred to the high court to sort it all out and asked Shorten to please do the same from his side.

Shorten refused.

Administrator
    Thanks

Welcome to the Twilight Zone!!

Nick Xenophon checks possible dual citizenship with British Home Office

To think that we have been laughing about Trumps' administration.
    Xenophon is one of many. The Australian had a list of all politicians under a cloud. And there is a lot.

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast