Thread: How to cable PIRs into the corner?

Thanks

Default How to cable PIRs into the corner?

I previously worked for a communications company that did some security, they were very new to security but had acquired their security registration. When installing PIRs the guys would normally use a bracket and just come down from the ceiling and I would take care of the programming with the customer (also registered).

I am now in the process of building my own home and want to mount the PIRs properly in the corners at the appropriate height but I'm not sure what the best method is to rough in the cables and how do you retrieve cable after plaster has been fitted. I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Could someone please help? photos would be great!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Its something you learn whilst on the job.. You can either leave some cable loose in the corner you want the PIR and later drill a hole and fish it out, if you cant fish it out remove a tile directly above and push the cable through or my favorite, ask your plasterer to expose them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vnboost View Post
    Its something you learn whilst on the job.. You can either leave some cable loose in the corner you want the PIR and later drill a hole and fish it out, if you cant fish it out remove a tile directly above and push the cable through or my favorite,

ask your plasterer to expose them
    Laughs..... oh the laughs....asking your plasterer to expose them.....

Thanks

More like he hides them

Thanks

If you can get back into the corner later, then leave it to later, talking to your plasterer would be a good start.
    But never trust someone to put the cable into the right spot for you.

Heights of the detectors don't really matter too much (around 8ft/2.1m), unless it is a pet immune detector, then it has to be mounted at the right height as stated by the instructions.

Previous experience with the style of house is the key to getting cables into the correct places, something you neglected to share with us. (single/2 storey), double or single brick, stick fibro, metal framed, tile or tin roof.

Thanks

And you always have them mounted on an inside corner so it's looking at the windows. Also makes cable easier to get at. More room in the roof space.
    Of course you can always mount the PIR at about 500mm above the floor upside down to act like a pet friendly device.
    The best is really just mount some empty bodies on the wall in the appropriate place. Forget the cables.
    Because it can be a bit awkward to fit EOLR's in the detector just put them in the panel.

But Really
    Dont piss off the plasterer or you will never find your cables.....
    Aspire to Inspire Before you Expire!!

Thanks

haha

coming from years of experience in pre wiring new homes, it comes down to the builder, other trades and how good people mark their plans, having just built a house i have cables to the corner where the walls meet and there is cavity, simple have to drill a 16mm hole out and fish the cables out later for the cleanest look, in normal houses under the cornice is perfect, for houses with high ceilings etc they need to be no greater then 2800 AFL or depending on specs of the detector, I've seen it all, plasters squashing cables in corner, bringing the cable out too low or on wrong side. If there is no cavity i drill a hole from the stud and into the corner and leave the cables out and write on it "please pull thru" in hope some trades for the right thing.

Ceiling brackets look ugly but make it easier for retro fits or old houses with fancy cornice that would crumble if drilled into.

Thanks

Motion sensors should not be mounted on an inside corner looking at windows unless it's absolutely unavoidable, EOL resistors are exactly that - End Of Line.
    There is a reason why they belong in the device and not at the panel end, and let's not even get into Aust Standards......

• The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro For This Useful Post:

secure (04-08-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone (except @Poody, lol).

Going to be doing installation this weekend. Last chance before the plasterers get in.

Could people please comment on placement or PIR (Blue) and reeds (Green)?
    I've pretty much put a reed on every door (I'm not going to the extent of windows) and PIRs in main traffic areas.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

lol @Poody

I wasn't trained that way

Thanks

Probably wouldn't bother with a PIR in the Alfresco.

Thanks

Placement of sensors looks ok.
    Be mindful of the garage sensor placement if you have a garage roller/sectional door. May need to be lower or moved out from the corner.
    Use suitable tri-tech PIR's for garage and alfresco.