Thread: Installing new graphics card help!!!

Thanks

Default Installing new graphics card help!!!

Hey guys I have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop computer. I am trying to install a new graphic's card into it and I am only getting a black screen. The card I am trying to install is a Radeon R5 220. Is there something I need to do to make this work? Any help would be great. Thanks Josh

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

What operating system?
    Have you installed the latest driver for the card that supports the operating system?
    If the installation of the correct driver doesn't automatically give you pictures, you may need to plug your video lead into the mother board display output to get pictures while you figure this out.
    Then go to Device Manager, select the new graphics card in Device Manager/Display adapters then Enable or set as default device (depending on OS). Then change the video cable back to the new card & see if it worked.

You can also from there; right click on the Display Adapter Device & select properties, select the events tab & check if it has been installed correctly.
    The General tab will tell if the device is working correctly.

You can also from the Driver Tab select Update Driver, though I have found that Windows doesn't always install or acknowledge that there may be a more appropriate driver, so I go to the Graphics Card manufactures website & install the correct driver using their instructions & that solves the issue.

A pic to show what it looks like when installed correctly.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

That systems is pretty fussy about replacement graphics card's.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

It could be something simple as BIOS setting, does the system have on board video? Sometimes you need to turn on PCI vdeo in BIOS.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I'm running windows 10. I have nothing in the bios to change for the video settings that was the first place I looked. I will try going into the device manager and trying it that way. Thank you guys.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

How can you get into device manager if you've got a black screen? Does it display anything at all during boot up?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Read what Tiny said, plug the video cable back into the Motherboard Graphics port.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Windows 10 (64 bit) only looks at digitally signed drivers, so if your driver isn't digitally signed, it gets ignored.

You may need to turn off the digitally signed setting.

I've been caught with this issue adding/changing a few different components.

The procedure to turn off digital signature is available .

This may or may not be your problem, but worth a look.

Premium Member
    Thanks

is your power supply big enough to power the card

What are you running?

Video card brand and model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Power supply
    Brand
    Model
    Wattage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Windows 10 (64 bit) only looks at digitally signed drivers, so if your driver isn't digitally signed, it gets ignored.

You may need to turn off the digitally signed setting.

I've been caught with this issue adding/changing a few different components.

The procedure to turn off digital signature is available .

This may or may not be your problem, but worth a look.
    I haven't installed a vid card in win10 64 but i have in almost all the other op systems - shouldn't the op system install the closest version and then your able to install a new version and you can easily forget to install the drivers after the card not before and since it's the closest basic drivers the port that you want to use may not be the one that works until the drivers are updated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    I haven't installed a vid card in win10 64 but i have in almost all the other op systems - shouldn't the op system install the closest version and then your able to install a new version and you can easily forget to install the drivers after the card not before and since it's the closest basic drivers the port that you want to use may not be the one that works until the drivers are updated
    It should in theory work that way, but often the driver needs to be installed first, otherwise the card may not be detected at all and if the OS doesn't recognise the driver, then it can't be installed.

I was only saying it 'may' be an issue as it's a common trap with non-digitally signed drivers with WIN10 64.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It should in theory work that way, but often the driver needs to be installed first, otherwise the card may not be detected at all and if the OS doesn't recognise the driver, then it can't be installed.

I was only saying it 'may' be an issue as it's a common trap with non-digitally signed drivers with WIN10 64.
    Good info about the drivers all of that helpfull info helps because of personal experiance and not usualy said in manuals.

I also had the same problem with a video card and that was my solution at that time - i preinstalled a bunch of drivers austomaticaly and turned out one of them was a video driver and when i installed the card all the features wouldn't work "ports" so i had to uninstall and reinstall with the card inside after finding out only the vga port worked without updated drivers