Thread: Loosing signal when splitting signal to two outlets

Thanks

Default Loosing signal when splitting signal to two outlets

Hi - we are travelling in a Van and I have a Altech UEC Vast TV and an Altech UEC vast box with 1TB. I have discovered unfortunately I don't seem to be able to connect my dish with a splitter to both outputs. My dish is outside and signal strength/quality is generally over 70%. It then connects to a port on the outside of the van which then comes through to an outlet inside. On the outlet I had a 15cm cord attached to a splitter which I then tried to connect the two outlets to the TV and the pvr. They both work when they are individually connected to the splitter but then when they are both connected I loose signal in either the TV or PVR. I've tried even removing splitter altogether connecting direct to vast box and using out of box to connect to TV in. TV can't get enough signal either. Today I quickly stopped at a store but they said an inline amplifier wouldn't help. Any suggestions??? I hope this all makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Using a splitter is the worst method of connecting two satellite devices.

The best solution is to use a dual output LNB and connect one cable to each device.

This will give them complete separation from each other.

Depending on how your van is configured, you may need to add a second through-the-wall connector.

If it's just a tube that you push the cable through into the inside, then you won't need to change anything.

No, an inline amplifier will not help.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

irritant (17-07-17),Tiny (18-07-17)

Thanks

I can probably do that easy enough as there are two vast connection points in. To get the dual LNB is it a matter of swapping out the single I have for the double?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jules456 View Post
    To get the dual LNB is it a matter of swapping out the single I have for the double?
    Yes, it's that simple.

Skew adjustment is exactly the same process.

Just make sure you get a dual output LNB with a LO of 10700 (which is the same as your single LNB)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

MTV beat me to it

Thanks

Thanks guys. I'll pick one up tomorrow and hopefully will work when we are out at Canarvon Gorge for the next week.

Thanks

So I got a strong dual lnb and tried it for the first time at Canarvon Gorge and couldn't get a decent signal. Is there a trick i need to know? Does it need to be angled differently?

Administrator
    Thanks

Once the dish is aligned correctly, the LNB skew needs to be adjusted for maximum signal quality in exactly the same way as you should be adjusting a dish and single LNB.

Did you make sure you bought a dual output 10700 LO LNB, as I mentioned?

If you're not sure, post a pic of the label.

Thanks

This is the one. I think maybe I wasn't angling it properly.

Administrator
    Thanks

It's the correct type of LNB.

Yes, I suspect your dish/LNB setup isn't quite right.

Out of curiosity, what method are you using to align your dish and LNB skew.... a meter with a signal quality scale, or by watching the signal readings from the VAST tuner/decoder?

Thanks

I've got the "marriage saver" from access antennas. Plug the coaxial into it and give you % on the screen. It "had" been working well.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jules456 View Post
    I've got the "marriage saver" from access antennas. Plug the coaxial into it and give you % on the screen. It "had" been working well.
    Does it display signal quality as a separate scale to signal strength?

My tip to tuning VAST is to use the tuning screen on the TV/decoder to get the dish and skew settings.

Then... set the LNB skew to the approximate recommended setting for location FIRST... then align the dish for maximum signal strength, then make fine (very fine) adjustment of the LNB skew to maximise signal quality.

Most manuals tell you the other way around... align the dish first, but if the LNB skew is out a fair bit to begin with, a lot of meters/tuners won't even register a reading, so getting the skew close to start with, makes it a lot easier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Does it display signal quality as a separate scale to signal strength?

My tip to tuning VAST is to use the tuning screen on the TV/decoder to get the dish and skew settings.

Then... set the LNB skew to the approximate recommended setting for location FIRST... then align the dish for maximum signal strength, then make fine (very fine) adjustment of the LNB skew to maximise signal quality.

Most manuals tell you the other way around... align the dish first, but if the LNB skew is out a fair bit to begin with, a lot of meters/tuners won't even register a reading, so getting the skew close to start with, makes it a lot easier.
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that in the next few days. It does show signal strength and quality seperately but it seemed to be the other way around from what the box said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Unless you have traveled a considerable distance since you last used the system, your dish az/el and LNB skew will be much the same as the last setup.

The skew of your new LNB will be much the same as that of your old LNB.

Since you seem to have set this system up before, I assume you've got some idea as to where to look for the VAST satellite.

Couple of other thoughts:

Which channel is your meter set to?

The meter you're using can only receive DVB-S, consequently there are only a few channels that it can resolve on the VAST satellite system.

Being in gorge country, do you definitely have a clear line-of-sight to the satellite, without any trees or bloody great cliffs in the way?
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 28-07-17 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks

I think my problem started with not setting up the skew properly first. Your way helped with set up of the single LNB I used yesterday. Hopefully in the next week we will be stopping travelling for a few days and I'll have another at the double LNB with the new trick!
    At Canarvon our campsite was up really high on a ridge and appeared to have direct line of site. Just user error, as usual :-)