Thread: Paint Laquer

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Default Paint Laquer

OK....my late mother gave me her Holden Barina SB...it's a 2000 model, and only has currently about 85K on the clock.

Because, at my sad excuse for a home the garage represents UstowIT for my kids, our cars have to live outside.

The clrearcoat (or whatever it is) is cracking and peeling off, and consequently the paint is fading in patches on the horizontal surfaces and needs cutting back.

What do I do to remove the rest of the coating? I assumed it was applied when the car was originally shipped from OS. The car is comprised comprised of Opel parts and was assembled in Spain.

Any clue would be appreciated. I guess what I'm REALLY asking is what sort of money would a paint guy ask.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Short answer is you need to sand all the coating off then prepare as for any other respray.
    So it would cost as much as any other respray.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

enf (19-07-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Unfortunately with peeling clear coat, it will need to be sanded with a feather edger,primed and respray, the paint under the clear is what they call a base coat and then clear is applied to bring out the high gloss look, polishing the base coat will achieve nothing sadly, a cheap alternative is to find a real good back yarder that doesnt charge the earth to fix it for you, or if your handy with a sander and spray gun you can have a crack yourself