Thread: Samsung TV with distorted sound

Thanks

Default Samsung TV with distorted sound

I was given a TV recently, it was working fine at the other persons house so I didn't bother testing it before going to the trouble of installing wall brackets etc
    I turned it on, at first very muffled sound I thought maybe because it was so close to the wall, then the sound got worse and it was very static sounding to the extent where it's not usable.
    Just wondering if there is a possible easy fix for this or parts/boards might be available if that's the fix. The model number is UA46B6000VF. It's an old non smart TV so it's nothing special but if it's recoverable cheaply then I have nothing to lose.
    The previous owner always had it running to a receiver via digital audio out, I want to use the TV speakers which may never have been used.
    I don't want to have to add extra speakers etc as it's wall mounted on its own without any entertainment unit etc (not my main TVs viewing area).
    Anyway, anyone think it's worth trying to fix?
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Have you installed the latest firmware?

The firmware and instructions how to install it can be found .

Bottom of the page... Upgrade Guide and click on the See More down arrow for the firmware file.

Thanks

Nope haven't tried firmware, I will give that a go although the scratchy sound sounds more like a hardware issue.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

If you don't have an operating manual it can be downloaded from . It's probably also available on the Samsung website.

There appears to be an audio output socket on the unit so connecting this to an external amplifier will help to isolate the problem to the audio output stage and on-board speakers.

Thanks

As I mentioned it was previously always used with an Amp using the digital audio out on the TV so that part does work. The TV speakers have never been used so this problem has only shown itself now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shonkster View Post
    As I mentioned it was previously always used with an Amp using the digital audio out on the TV so that part does work. The TV speakers have never been used so this problem has only shown itself now.
    Have you inspected the speaker surrounds to see if they have fallen apart on the foam edges? May not have been used but some f this stuff decomposes over time anyway. I see a fair bit of it with some panasonics around 2009-10 models

Premium Member
    Thanks

Got a cheap LCD TV here that was run too loud for too long which wrecked the internal speakers, just plugged in some external speakers and all's good again.
    The internal speakers in a lot of flat screens are not very robust at all.

Thanks

So I have done some more troubleshooting....
    Upgraded firmware, no difference.
    When its first turned on the sound is muffled, within a few minute the sounds gets more and more static.
    I have reconfirmed that the sound is perfect coming from the digital audio output to an AMP, but where I'm putting this TV, its the only thing that is going to be on/near the wall, I don't want to have amps or external speakers etc.
    The sound is static from all speakers, so I don't think the speakers are faulty. I have it open at the moment, there are two big round speakers near the top, they connect to one connector on a board. Then there are some slim speakers on the bottom facing down, they also have the static sound... which connect to another connector. So either a problem somewhere on that board, or the other mainboard which is the power supply etc.... everything else works on the TV, still possibly power supply/cap issue maybe that controls the internal speaker sound? There are no electrolytic caps on the board where all the speakers coming from.... since there is some form of sound, not totally dead, more likely some component/s is on its way out? Anyone have experience with this model TV repair?

Thanks