Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: I have not a single sound scheme

Thanks

'S me ! - lucky youse, as someone said ...
    Gave up on the first bloke and found another, more expensive but FAR better !
    I now have a C: drive looking like this:

But still some things to sort out: how to GET RID OF BLOODY BITDEFENDER ?????
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I don't use Bitdefender, but it shouldn't be too difficult to uninstall.

Follow the steps outlined below.

1/. Right click on the Windows logo extreme left-bottom of desktop.

2/. Left click on Control Panel.

3/. Left click on Programs and Features.

4/. Locate the Bitdefender entry and right click on it.

5/. Select Uninstall....and all 'should' be well.

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Let us know the outcome.
    Oh, done that this-morning, tristen.
    The Bitdefender 'Agent', however, refuses to be uninstalled: says only that it detects Bitdefender on my laptop and I must uninstall that first. But it ain't there, I promise.

Milan is coming back tomorrow morning to put my downloaded audiobooks back on (the only file that he missed), and I shall put his beak down on the white line leading to Bitdefender Agent. THAT'll fix it.

Thanks

Been away for a while and only just became aware of your latest problem M-R. How's the cat btw?

Many antivirus programs leave bits behind when you uninstall them the usual way via Control Panel>Programs. Usually the biggest obstacle is values left in the registry. You can search for them and delete them after making a registry backup. Win key + R to open the 'Run' GUI, type "regedit.exe" without the quotes, when the regedit window open press 'File' then 'Export' and make a copy somewhere convenient. Then Ctrl key + F to open a search box and search the entire registry for "bitdefender" [no quotes], delete any references found there.

If the above seems a little too adventurous for you, another way to do it is use BitDefender's own tool to clean up but you'll need to know what version you had installed. Then afterwards tidy up completely using the free version of CCleaner to check the registry just in case. Some links:
    Code:
    https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
    Just watch when installing a free version of any software that other things aren't snuck in during the install process. Never use 'express' settings or similar, go for 'custom' or 'advanced' install option and refuse any 'extras' offered. I can't recall if the free version of Ccleaner does that, I've use the Pro version for some time now. The free version can do all you need, make a registry back up for you and remove any leftovers that aren't being used. Use the 'Tools' option first to see if it can detect any remnants of BD such as the Agent component to uninstall before you run the Registry Cleaner scan.

My two bob's worth for any Win8-10 users who doesn't probe in the vile dark bowels of the web: Just use the free built-in Windows Defender, it's virtually set and forget. It'll prompt you to do an occasional scan and/or download new definitions if you aren't getting windows updates regularly and runs quietly in the background otherwise.
    Last edited by Surething; 15-08-17 at 10:29 AM. Reason: fix ccleaner link.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

M-R (15-08-17)

Thanks

Goodonyer, Surething !
    You blokes really must be the best lot this side of the rabbit-proof fence !
    Will report in again after Milan's been and gone; 'cause it's too late for me to start following up on your advice right now (putting on the washing; emptying the dishwasher - my life is jam-packed with excitement !).

Thanks

Wot? Ya'd rather do the washing and empty the dishwasher than mess around with the registry of your shiny new Win 10 installation? Struth! If you own a pub and a big share portfolio too you're maybe my kind of ole fashioned gal.... wanna get hitched?

Your new bestie Milan should be able to sort evicting BD's bits of junk in a twinkle anyway.

BTW, there's absolutely nothing worth having on the other side of the rabbit-proof fence anyway. I'm not even sure there's all that much over the Great Dividing Range.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

M-R (15-08-17)

Thanks

You are an idiot. I have spoken. [grin]
    Yep, everything is now hunky-dory - and I have back all 80mb of my downloaded audiobooks, so I shan't need to do it all again.
    Lui (my very large marmlade tabby) has become used to the fact that I will now tip him off my lap without notice on the part of the laptop. Armchairtop. I have to rest the Dell on the left-hand arm of my big chair; and yes, I do get to know about muscles I didn't know I had. :}
    So, luverly gents, I leaves yer ferever. Until I do something silly, probably ...
    It has been, as Jodi Taylor says, "an honour and a privilege".
    Last edited by M-R; 16-08-17 at 07:08 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to M-R For This Useful Post:

Surething (15-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    You are an idiot. I have spoken. [grin]
    I guess that's a 'no' then. No pub, no big fat share portfolio, no nuttin'. Anyway, i wuz an idiot long before you spoke.

So, luverly gents, I leaves yer ferever. Until I do something silly, probably ...
    It has been, as Jodi Taylor says, "an honour and a privilege".
    To paraphrase someone or other "The honour and privilege, Madam, has been all ours".

Don't forget to set regular restore points and make at least occasion system image backups, then doing silly won't hurt so much.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Don't Leave, we haven't fleeced you of all your worldly goods yet. All of us are actually harmless, (well, 'cept for that Surething bloke). I wandered in some years back, and can't seem to find my way out again.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

M-R (16-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Don't Leave, we haven't fleeced you of all your worldly goods yet. All of us are actually harmless, (well, 'cept for that Surething bloke). I wandered in some years back, and can't seem to find my way out again.
    Leigh, it would seem that Surething is not the sole idiot 'round these parts - and thanks for your input, too, of course ...

My worldly goods, eh ? - I look about me in this delightful little place in which I have everything I need to function contentedly, and reflect upon the fact that I doubt there is anything worth more than $100 - well, not counting my Breville "Dynamic Duo" ... And yet the world goes on and it is good !

• The Following User Says Thank You to M-R For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (16-08-17)

• 18-01-19, 12:24 AM

• Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456