Thread: how do i eliminate a lithium battery from a permanently powered device?

Thanks

Default how do i eliminate a lithium battery from a permanently powered device?

as the title suggests, i wish to pull a battery from a bluetooth audio device to mount permanently in a car. i only want it to have power when the car is in use and i'm concerned about cheap lipo's sitting in the sun!
    i hope it's as simple as bridging the batt + and - but given the requirements of lipo cells i understand that this may not be the case.

how is this acheived?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

In short, if the LIPO battery is 12 volts I cannot see any problem, providing the lithium battery is removed from the device first.

However, if it is anything other than 12 volts, a suitable method will have to be devised to provide the needed voltage from the vehicle's 12 volt supply.

Posting FULL details of the device concerned, i.e. type of unit, its brand, model number etc. will help members to offer more definitive advice.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

No bridging of the +/- terminals needed. Just disconnecting the battery should be all that's required. As Tristen has suggested, provided it reuns on 12v then you are good. If, of course, it requires 5v then more may need be done. Details of the device will help us be more specific. Does it plug into the cigarette light at present? What is written on the plug?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

this is the device in question:

but i may not necessarily go with this one but something similar.

this one in particular contains a single 3.7V lipo cell and has a micro (b) usb socket. i only ask this because in my experience most of these types of devices won't run on the usb power in without the lipo being connected. i have a suitable 5V regulator that i plan to use between this unit and the car's 12 - 14V supply. the ultimate aim is to decase the unit, mount it in the center console withe the buttons and microphone situated in convenient locations.

thanks for the advice so far!