Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lg with backlight Bleeding problem

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Lg with backlight Bleeding problem

We have a new 4K LG and it has a backlight bleeding issue. It only bleed on the bottom right Horizontal side. It looks like it could be about two that are bleeding.
    Question!
    Can they fix it or do they have to replace the Panel itself or replace the TV. The TV is only about 2 weeks old and has replaced the one we had before (about 3 weeks) that had another problem. both tv the TV are the same make and model.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Sounds like a manufacturing defect and replacement is warranted but check the warranty fine print for what 'they' consider a returnable flaw.
    Repairing it probably isn't economical in terms of labour costs.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Sounds like a manufacturing defect and replacement is warranted but check the warranty fine print for what 'they' consider a returnable flaw.
    Repairing it probably isn't economical in terms of labour costs.
    The tv cost just under $14000 and this is the second one we have had that has defects. The panel is good but the bleeding is the only issue. The other TV had other issue. Has anyone fixed backlight bleeding from a LED LCD tv

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    The tv cost just under $14000 ....
    At that price, surely it's an OLED model, which has no backlight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    At that price, surely it's an OLED model, which has no backlight.
    No its a LG 86 SJ957T Super Led LCD

Premium Member
    Thanks

$14 grand :O
    Don't give up till they get one to you that's flawless

Thanks

At that Price you would expect that the tv to be near to perfect but you can see that LG must not have QC. Baclkight bleeding happens a lot on budget TV's but this is not acceptable on a $14,000 TV.

Thanks

So by the look at it now one has heard and TV being repaired with this issue. I have read article about people fixing them 100% but this can only be confirmed by a person that fixed LCD,

Premium Member
    Thanks

Do you have a pic of this 'bleeding'?
    I've converted some edge-lit CCFL monitors to LED strips and there's a 'footlights' type effect at the top and bottom of the screen due to the diffusion being different to the even lighting of the original CCFL tubes. It's noticeable but not too distracting and though I could have experimented with some reflective masking to fix it somewhat, that would be just cosmetics for what was a free monitor. And I know how much work there is in totally dismantling and re-assembling these (highly susceptible to static) things.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

You will be waiting for eternity. All lower edge lit LCD panel suffer from light leakage.
    The obsession with every thinner panels and minimised bezels has brought us to this place (very few direct lit displays nowadays).
    The LCD blocks light as best it can, and the IPS LG panels will leak light around the corners. Expecting an 86" panel to diffuse light evenly across the whole screen is unrealistic in a consumer grade product.
    Watching 2.40:1 scope content (with masking bars) on an LED edge lit LCD TV in a dark room will always reveal light leakage.
    is recommended by SMPTE and a great many other organisations.
    If you want black blacks, then OLED is the only choice.
    LCD TVs suck; plasma was magnificent, but legislated out of existence. Even OLED is a "sample and hold technology" that suffers from the same blur and judder of LCD.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

mtv (27-07-17),Skepticist (27-07-17)

Thanks

Do you have a pic of this 'bleeding'?
    I've converted some edge-lit CCFL monitors to LED strips and there's a 'footlights' type effect at the top and bottom of the screen due to the diffusion being different to the even lighting of the original CCFL tubes. It's noticeable but not too distracting and though I could have experimented with some reflective masking to fix it somewhat, that would be just cosmetics for what was a free monitor. And I know how much work there is in totally dismantling and re-assembling these (highly susceptible to static) things.
    Yes LG got about 10 of them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    You will be waiting for eternity. All lower edge lit LCD panel suffer from light leakage.
    The obsession with every thinner panels and minimised bezels has brought us to this place (very few direct lit displays nowadays).
    The LCD blocks light as best it can, and the IPS LG panels will leak light around the corners. Expecting an 86" panel to diffuse light evenly across the whole screen is unrealistic in a consumer grade product.
    Watching 2.40:1 scope content (with masking bars) on an LED edge lit LCD TV in a dark room will always reveal light leakage.
    is recommended by SMPTE and a great many other organisations.
    If you want black blacks, then OLED is the only choice.
    LCD TVs suck; plasma was magnificent, but legislated out of existence. Even OLED is a "sample and hold technology" that suffers from the same blur and judder of LCD.
    Yes you cannot buy OLED at 85 or 86 inch we have a big TV room and the 86 inch is too small. I had a 100 Inch Hecto before.The LG 77 OLED is $39,000. I have elaborate Biased adjustable LED Lighting behind the TV (goes all around the TV) and thats because the BLACKS on a IPS panel is no good I'm not complaining about that, I'm complaining about two led's that are bleeding. I have the Best Dimmable ceiling LED lighting (put it in last weekend) in the TV room, YES LED light that are 100% dimmable as this is also good for IPS TV whilst watching a Movie. The Problem is sometimes visible during the day whilst watching A movie with the sun coming in the window so by this its just not night.
    This TV is used for Movies only and when I say Movies only I'm talking about UHD HDR Movies that I use with our 4K players, Panasonic DMP UB 900 for HDR 10 and Opppo UDP 203 for Dolby Vision and some HDR 10. and yes I'm up with all the technology today and issue but I'm still wanting the Question answered. Considering the TV is expensive Can backing bleeding be fixed? Its simple Yes or No.
    By the way the First LG 86SJ957T had NO Bleeding issues but suffered another issue and that was returned pronto.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 27-07-17 at 10:48 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    ..Can backing bleeding be fixed? Its simple Yes or No.
    No.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Not as bad as that but still was noticeable. Now I say was Noticeable as its 95% fixed now and the remainder is my brain playing tricks.
    This is what it look like before.

Next time I will take a after shot on the same scene

Thanks

Well I need a Free Hosting and I will put the same scene on before and after and surprise its GONE. I googled this issue and found after 2 hours of googling a guy that ??? well I can say it until warranty is finished. Again when i find another photohosting website ill show the before and after on the same movie and the same scene. The movie was. The Accountant in 4K
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 01-08-17 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks

Try Again
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 01-08-17 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks

Arghhh I forgot. I picked the wrong photo of the 8 sent to LG as the photo above has a white background above the problem bleeding LEd's. It does this (60% of the Time) on any other shot even with grey or black background above the bleeding leds. Now it seems to be ok and will test a new 4K HDR movie tonight. On the Weekend I tested and watched The Fate and the Furious with DV (Dolby Vision) and it was excellant

Thanks

No it gone even with the darkness of room and even with my back lights turned on. Take note of the dates when the TV had backlight bleeding on the bottom right hand side compared to the TV fixed on todays date.

With the Back light on

Thanks

Gone, ZERO, in under 20 second of fixing. Most do not know that this can be done but I'm very surprised LG them self do know how easy it is to do.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast