Thread: ISP advice needed for an old lady, please

Thanks

Default ISP advice needed for an old lady, please

My eldest sister will turn 81 tomorrow; and she's even less technically ept than I am. :-\
    She's about to move from Hawthorn to East Kew (renting in both suburbs: the flat she owns is in Paris !), and desperately wants to get away from Telstra. Who doesn't ?!
    Anyway; she's with iiNet (was once Netscape - and yes, I know iiNet is actually TPG) for the Internet, but with Telstra for her landline and mobile. Why, I have no idea: we have never lived anywhere near each other.
    It would be terrific if anyone out there could provide input on ISPs who will give her - oh, ADSL2+ would be good; but also behave like decent human beings, UNlike anyone even remotely associated with TPG. Oh for the good old days when iiNet was how it once was ...
    I believe she's outlived any contracts ...
    Last edited by M-R; 26-07-17 at 12:16 PM.
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Has she (or you) checked if NBN is available at the new address?

Thanks

Not till this time next year, mtv.
    Why aren't you off solving my upgrade problem, pray ? [grin]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    desperately wants to get away from Telstra. Who doesn't ?!
    I would recommend them rather than be trying to get away from them, unless she is on a tight budget.

As she is already with Telstra for her landline and mobile, she could consider a bundle package (you need to scroll down a bit when you click on the link to see the offers).

The $99 bundle is the best deal, and you will rightly think she doesnt need that much data (1000 gb). But its not worth dropping to 500 gig to save $5, when the 1000 gb package also gives you Telstra TV.
    Telstra TV is in fact a box which gives you all the catch up TV (you can watch free to air shows on demand) in a compact and very easy to use receiver.

The above also includes your phone line rental and all local, national and mobile calls. Its pretty hard to beat in my opinion.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (26-07-17),M-R (26-07-17),Tiny (26-07-17)

Thanks

Well, admin (I might consider an 'o' before long [grin]), the fact that she is totally non-technical means that all that fancy Roku box stuff is irrelevant: I doubt very much that she plays DVDs, let alone manages anything of that nature.
    She is VERY FAR INDEED from being on a tight budget (Paris flat ?): that's me, on the age pension ...
    Telstra has managed to completely ***k her landline, so that while she can call out, no-one can call in.
    She trots across the road to the Telstra shop to get advice and they spout incomprehensible (to her) nonsense at her and expect her to remember and apply it.
    No: she needs an ISP comprised of human beings.

Administrator
    Thanks

In that case, she probably needs to pay a local IT/Computer person to deal with any technical issues for her. There is no point stressing about dealing with issues if you can afford to pay someone to deal with them for you. There is probably little point in her going to the Telstra shop if she doesn't understand technology at all, hence the suggestion.

Thanks

Agreed !
    But last time she did that she was ripped off rigid by some bastard ...
    Sighh ...
    I might have to start ringing around, eh ?
    Thanks mate !

Thanks

She should be able to transfer her landline and mobile services to iiNet, as long as she isn't on a long contract with Telstra. A call to iiNet will get her started.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

M-R (26-07-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, it can be hard to find someone good and more than that, someone thats still around a year or 2 later.

This place in East Kew might be worth ringing. If they have been around since 1996, they are not fly by nighters.

Although it says computers, they might deal with just basically technology visits as well and if not, can probably suggest someone.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Sadly, Telstra shops can do very little by way of assisting with technical issues/faults.

All they can do is refer you to the Telstra Customer (lack of) Service Centre in Manila.

She needs to call Faults and report it. Telling someone at the Telstra shop will get her nowhere.

Although not being able to receive incoming calls can be a line issue (Eg: not enough voltage on the line to make the phone ring) it can also be in the premises cabling or equipment).

There is a troubleshooting tool (page) that may help.

Telstra faults number is 13 22 03

It's important to resolve the fault issue before attempting to connect any ADSL service, although I take it the fault is at her present address, not where she is moving to.

As much as I dislike Telstra, I stay with them, because if you do encounter a line fault, going with a reseller means an extra hurdle when you need it fixed, as you can then only report the fault to the reseller, which then in turn has to contact Telstra etc on your behalf.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    In that case, she probably needs to pay a local IT/Computer person to deal with any technical issues for her. There is no point stressing about dealing with issues if you can afford to pay someone to deal with them for you. There is probably little point in her going to the Telstra shop if she doesn't understand technology at all, hence the suggestion.
    THEY'RE LOVELY !!!!
    Thank-you from the heart for that find, admin: a sweet bloke called Chris was amazingly patient while I raved helplessly at him.
    My sister thinks she's on top of all this kind of stuff, and it makes me want to tear my hair. But she's very kind and has a heart of gold, so I really do want to be of some assistance to her.
    If she will only take my advice this once and set herself up as a client of theirs she'll be laughing ...

Administrator
    Thanks

Good to hear.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If you were a little closer, M-R I'd volunteer to come and sort your problems out. Telstra shops are, by and large, manned by snot nosed kids who do not understand simple language. Typically the best way to deal with them in by telephone. As I commented elsewhere, the buck stops with them. If it ain't working, they can't blame anyone but themselves.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

M-R (26-07-17)

Thanks

I have been with iprimus for a long time 79 unlimited internet and free calls even international. I just went with a different isp (called RSP) biw days and haven't missed a bit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to levend For This Useful Post:

M-R (26-07-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    If you were a little closer, M-R I'd volunteer to come and sort your problems out. Telstra shops are, by and large, manned by snot nosed kids who do not understand simple language. Typically the best way to deal with them in by telephone. As I commented elsewhere, the buck stops with them. If it ain't working, they can't blame anyone but themselves.
    Makes sense alright, Leigh ...
    Still, surely Geelong ain't all that far ...?
    I believe I shall try to find someone like you lot down here: GOTTA get this laptop sorted.