Thread: Tesla Car Price - USA vs Australia

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Tesla Car Price - USA vs Australia

I had a search for Tesla Cars for sale in AU last night, wow, they are Supercar Prices's!!!!
    Which got me thinking, how does a young kid in America afford to buy, a P100D no less ($268,000 Second Hand in AU), then gut it and street drag it!

Quite easy, when the same car in the US only costs $134,500USD brand new ($169,000 AUD)
    Well, hardly quite easy, it is still super $$$, but Australia has to pay $100,000 more for the same vehicle.

Tesla P100D in AU:

And Telsa's a few years old, say the P70D, P85 or P90 and cheap in the States, $45,000 to $80,000
    Well, cheap when you compare what those cars cost here, they are all mid $100,000 cars here.

That Free Motoring sure comes at a price!

Australian Tesla site here:
    (The range comparison is an interesting thing)

I also find it amusing, a few threads on here talking about how to reduce your home power bill from rising electricity prices.
    And there is a FREE Car Charger point in my town, just sitting there, no one uses it, FREE POWER!
    Maybe we should make Removable Power Walls, pop them in our normal cars and plug them in at the Free Charger Points, then bring them home?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 02-08-17 at 10:56 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (02-08-17),VroomVroom (03-08-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Maybe we should make Removable Power Walls, pop them in our normal cars and plug them in at the Free Charger Points, then bring them home?
    Or just buy a very long extension lead

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (02-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Or just buy a very long extension lead
    With a very available list of Free Recharge points around Australia
    Im surprised some clever cookie, hasn't decked out his Camper Van with 600Amp/hours of Lithium Battery and mated it with a Generic EV socket.
    Pull up, Re-Charge while you have a Toilet break or Look around town, then bugger off with enough energy for 5 days of Free Camping

I just read an interesting prediction the UK will ban Petrol and Diesel Vehicles by 2040.
    Yet have they considered the extra load on the Electricity Sector to cope with such a shift?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 03-08-17 at 09:55 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-08-17)

Thanks

With a very available list of Free Recharge points around Australia
    Im surprised some clever cookie, hasn't decked out his Camper Van with 600Amp/hours of Lithium Battery and mated it with a Generic EV socket.
    Pull up, Re-Charge while you have a Toilet break or Look around town, then bugger off with enough energy for 5 days of Free Camping
    I love it!

Betcha Jayco's working on that one right now

I just an interesting prediction the UK will ban Petrol and Diesel Vehicles by 2040.
    Yet have they considered the extra load on the Electricity Sector to cope with such a shift?
    I'm trying to picture myself heading down to the headwaters of the Murray River at Tom Groggin, or trundling along the Gibb River Road, in my electric 4WD.

Man, that's a bloody difficult image to conjure up......even makes a Land Rover look desirable

Thanks

An interesting take on one aspect of EV's on ZH today:

One reality almost no one seems willing to talk plainly about is the fact that hundreds of thousands of electric cars queuing up to spend 30-45 minutes each at a recharging port is as ludicrous in concept as waiting that long at McDonald’s to get a burger. Especially when there is a Wendy’s across the street that’ll get a burger in your hands and you back on the road in less than 5 minutes.

Just one of the myriad of issues that will need to be resolved between now and 2040.

Whilst 22 years may seem plenty of time to address the purely technical issues outstanding , it is but a blink of the eye in terms of infrastructure development and deployment, and the mass distribution of necessary support and maintenance services.

And we're being told that these things will be driverless as well.

Right.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm trying to picture myself heading down to the headwaters of the Murray River at Tom Groggin, or trundling along the Gibb River Road, in my electric 4WD.

Man, that's a bloody difficult image to conjure up
    It might not be too far away

Thanks

It might not be too far away

Yeah....pity it's just a gleam in an imaginative designers eye (or maybe not so much of a pity).

Final paragraph summed it up pretty well:

It's obviously completely fictional, but the result looks convincing enough.
    If the Model X didn't cost a fortune, we're sure somebody might actually try and do this to the SUV, just for the sake of it.
    You'd have to plan your off-road excursions really carefully and never stray too far from a Supercharger station, but you would be having fun nevertheless.
    And, of course, if one is planning on getting one from Tesla, one would have to be prepared to put down a deposit about five years in advance, put up with the inevitable production delays, and then mortgage the house to make the final payment.

Still,the installation of the off-road charging stations should be interesting.

Lets face it, with the experience the government has gained putting in a world-class NBN, what could possibly go wrong setting up a nation-wide network of EV charging stations

Be interesting to see Teslsas' plans for electric B-Doubles

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-08-17)

Thanks

And furthermore:

Tesla Model 3 is on the way but Australia might not be ready

“Cost is the real reason Australians may not buy it, the cost difference in Australia compared to the US definitely makes a difference sales-wise,” he said.

The number of charging stations has also been a known issue for Tesla in Australia, with just 12 “Supercharger” stations installed – all located in Victoria or New South Wales.
    So not too many charging stations in the Kimberly then.......damn!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-17),Tiny (03-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I am surprised, for my little town of 900 people, i see 3 or 4 Tesla's getting around town.
    Co incidentally, i have seen not one of them down at the Free Charge point.

Thanks

OB,

One of the sites I periodically haunt, Macrobusiness, has posted an item today based on the New Daily article I linked above.

Nothing much new in the article itself, but some fairly interesting stuff in the ensuing comments, if you have an interest in this subject.

Why the Tesla Model 3 will fail in Australia

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-17),Tiny (03-08-17),Uncle Fester (03-08-17)

Banned
    Thanks

So not too many charging stations in the Kimberly then.......damn!
    The same applied to petrol filling stations when the horseless carriage was replacing the horse in the early 1900s.

The problem with electric cars is the time it takes to recharge them - drive a long distance and arrive with depleted batteries and the car is not usable until the batteries are recharged - even a half hour wait is too long.

In addition to innovative design in batteries the charging arrangement also needs work - ideally your electric car has multiples of a common battery - you drive into a "garage" and the system measures your current charge, the system replaces the batteries while you sit in the car and you pay for the difference in charge - however the infrastructure and commonality in batteries needs to be developed - basically a variation of the gas swap and go system.

Garry
    Last edited by garrycol; 03-08-17 at 02:17 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

OB,

One of the sites I periodically haunt, Macrobusiness, has posted an item today based on the New Daily article I linked above.

Nothing much new in the article itself, but some fairly interesting stuff in the ensuing comments, if you have an interest in this subject.

Why the Tesla Model 3 will fail in Australia

Wow, the concessions are amazing
    As if that will EVER happen here, bahahahahaha

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (03-08-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

The reason? One of our great Australian values:
    ....the complete opposite of what a progressive, rich, intelligent nation should be doing in the 21st century.
    Long live the conservatives
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

We've got charging points in Wodonga and Falls Creek. I had to laugh seeing a normal car parked in the charging spot last winter....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-17),Thala Dan (03-08-17)

Thanks

I watched a news report today on BBC World $35k usd ... same as ...

Last edited by kde; 03-08-17 at 08:41 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to kde For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (03-08-17)

Thanks

Tesla do support a quick swap of the battery - at least for the earlier cars. Apparently it can be done in around 7 minutes, but needs a hoist and people + machinery to do the job. A trial of the service proved unpopular. I guess it costs more than a "free" recharge and there's the risk that your low km, carefully maintained battery will be replaced by a clapped out one that's been abused.

Apparently they now have a problem with the super charge stations, in that drivers are using them as free parking while they go shopping:

There's an interesting account of a long road trip in a Tesla. It was actually faster overall to travel at a lower speed. Doing 80-85 mph used more battery to travel a given distance, which meant more time sitting and waiting at the next charging station. Going a bit slower at 75 mph meant faster overall progress, since less time was wasted charging.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-08-17),Thala Dan (03-08-17),Tiny (04-08-17)

Thanks

Another speed hump for Tesla?

Cash Gets More Precious at Tesla

Tesla Inc. shareholders are betting on a profitable future. They would do well to spare a thought for the present.

Thanks

You might be able to afford that Model X or S soon, OB.

Tesla Ignores Q2 Record Cash Burn And Slashes Its Model X And Model S Prices

Apparently this is exactly the strategy that Elon Musk has decided to pursue with his Model X after quietly slashing its price tag from $82,500 to a far more affordable $79,500 last night. Tesla explained the price cut via the following statement:
    Got a feeling that "far more affordable" bit might have been tongue-in-cheek