Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow and why?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Religion is the root of all evil, satan is an angle! I dont and never would follow any of the crap.
    I think Kenny says it best!

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

mtv (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

They used religious stories to get sex?

PLEASE share with me how they did this!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post

children.

• The Following User Says Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (06-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

shocking

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I don't follow any religion, and I don't believe religion has any place in politics or schools. Christian tenets giving you the chance to grow up in a free society? Since when did Christians have the monopoly on freedom?

My view on religion is, in the beginning man created god. He needed something to explain or at least blame the un-explainable on. Noises in the night, someone dying with no obvious injuries.... Then man discovered fire to keep the scary stuff away at night. That's when all the sh1t started. He was now at ease enough to be able talk about and start expanding on previous religious beliefs. Then the head bloke took over, claiming religion as his domain, and started using it to further his own means. It's just gotten worse over the years.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (06-08-17),eeprommemory (08-08-17),Keith (07-08-17),mtv (06-08-17),Onefella (07-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,240 Times in 1,921 Posts

Got that right Bob
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

I agree with you Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks

I don't follow any religion, and I don't believe religion has any place in politics or schools. Christian tenets giving you the chance to grow up in a free society? Since when did Christians have the monopoly on freedom?
    You want hear some shocking fact?
    Here in good old Europe A and B was killing C for dishonorable behaviour. A got free because there was no evidence against him and B got 6 Years in Jail (max ~20 Years) just because his Religious and Cultural behaviour.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianR View Post
    Are you thinking of starting your own choir or are you looking to join one?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,105 Times in 9,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post

I dunno if anyone said anything about a monopoly....but in recent times they give you the best chance. AND christian societies are the ones that have produced ours, and have given us the freedom to speak our mind.... I cant think of any that are more open and able to handle criticism. Even yours....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Not only do I not believe in imaginary deities, but I am of the opinion that while religion may have been of some use in the past, it now serves no other function, than to muddy the waters of science and understanding, and to hold humanity back from meaningful progress. Any social benefit from getting people to live 'good' lives according to their particular doctrine, is negated by the theistic distrust and cynicism of science, and the scientific method.

It's got me stuffed how anyone in this day and age can still believe that bronze-age camp-fire stories, are a perfectly true and accurate explanation for the cosmos and the world around them, even when presented with hundreds of years of scientific evidence to the contrary.

#outlawReligion

• The Following User Says Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

william10 (07-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,105 Times in 9,100 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    Not only do I not believe in imaginary deities, but I am of the opinion that while religion may have been of some use in the past, it now serves no other function, than to muddy the waters of science and understanding, and to hold humanity back from meaningful progress. Any social benefit from getting people to live 'good' lives according to their particular doctrine, is negated by the theistic distrust and cynicism of science, and the scientific method.

It's got me stuffed how anyone in this day and age can still believe that bronze-age camp-fire stories, are a perfectly true and accurate explanation for the cosmos and the world around them, even when presented with hundreds of years of scientific evidence to the contrary.

#outlawReligion
    I fully agree. However, any attempt to ban a faith has always failed in the historical past and will fail again....

Scientific education will erode blind faith over time, but instead we teach children namby pamby subjects and coddle them into complacency. No one fails and everybody feels good about themselves. Not NEARLY enough young people study even BASIC science anymore.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    satan is an angle
    Acute or obtuse?
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

What does amaze me, is that people are happy enough to teach their kids about Santa Clause and Easter Bunny whilst they are young but, if they teach them about Jesus, it's called Brain Washing. Either you permit it all and allow your kids to work out the differences for themselves, or you have a society that is governed by a nanny state. FWIW My kids all grew up going to church, and have all decided for themselves if they wish to continue in that or not. Some have, some haven't. I have given them all credit with having enough intelligence to make their own decisions based upon all the facts. By denying instruction about religion, or Easter Bunny, etc, they cannot, reasonably, make an informed decision because they do not have the relevant "facts".
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

David071 (08-08-17),enf (07-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

After last night I'm changing religions from Ducati to Honda

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    After last night I'm changing religions from Ducati to Honda
    Oh no you don't
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (08-08-17)

Thanks

Smile

Hi Rick

You always have to have hope. Even in the face of death (we all die sometime). We have to hope that our life wasn't lived for nothing and that there was a purpose.
    Even some secular scientists such as Michio Kaku are admitting that the universe appears to be intelligently created rather than a random occurrence.

Life is a miracle and scientists have been unable to create life from the elements in a lab, and probably never will.

The universe is delicately fine tuned for life. There are set uniform laws of physics that operate in our universe. however they cannot operate on their own, and there would have to have been a causal agent (we Christians would call a supernatural God)to make these laws exist.
    For example if a billiard ball rolls across a billiard table and falls into a pocket, then it is following the laws of physics. However in order to get the billiard ball into the pocket, it needs a causal agent namely a person, to hit that ball into the pocket.

I am a Christian. If you study history, archeology, philosophy, languages, science and non biblical evidence of Jesus Christ, you will find many reasonable arguments for the Christian faith.

I look at it this way, there is no harm in believing in Christ. To the believer there is a benefit.

Like many things in life there are gambles. Therefore I'm betting for Christ.

As the old saying goes "you gotta be in it to win it"

Cheers
    ozidude

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Bugger, I was just about to go to bed. But this sort of claptrap deserves a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ozidude View Post
    Hi Rick

You always have to have hope. Even in the face of death (we all die sometime). We have to hope that our life wasn't lived for nothing and that there was a purpose.
    No we don't. People live wonderful fulfilling lives without the need for an afterlife belief. The fallacy of a 'grand purpose' is only one of a number of 'comfort lies', told to reinforce faith.

Even some secular scientists such as Michio Kaku are admitting that the universe appears to be intelligently created rather than a random occurrence.
    Yes, and it's a position he has vehemently back-tracked on, since first discussing it. His original musing was that because the mathematics of sub-molecular physics was so 'perfect' that it seemed possible that it had been designed. A rather strange conclusion to leap to, for a scientist. He now admits that his only reason to believe God could be a mathematician, was a personal 'feeling'. Not very scientific at all.

Life is a miracle and scientists have been unable to create life from the elements in a lab, and probably never will.
    So therefore God exists??

The universe is delicately fine tuned for life. There are set uniform laws of physics that operate in our universe. however they cannot operate on their own, and there would have to have been a causal agent (we Christians would call a supernatural God)to make these laws exist.
    Utter rot. For starters, life is 'delicately tuned' for the universe, not the other way around. Of course any life existing in this universe is going to seem like a 'perfect fit', it evolved to suit the universe it arose from. The assertion that there has to be a causal agent is an argument from ignorance.

For example if a billiard ball rolls across a billiard table and falls into a pocket, then it is following the laws of physics. However in order to get the billiard ball into the pocket, it needs a causal agent namely a person, to hit that ball into the pocket.
    Following on from your extremely simplistic analogy, what if there was an earthquake and the ball rolled in to pocket on it's own? Sorry, just because a thing exists, does not mean it has been consciously created.

I am a Christian. If you study history, archeology, philosophy, languages, science and non biblical evidence of Jesus Christ, you will find many reasonable arguments for the Christian faith.
    I would love to hear of this "non biblical evidence of Jesus".

I look at it this way, there is no harm in believing in Christ.
    Yes, there is harm in believing something that claims to have all the answers, but isn't true. It stops you enquiring any further into the true nature of reality and the universe we find ourselves in.

To the believer there is a benefit.
    Yes, and to the drug addict there is a benefit in taking drugs. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good for them.

Like many things in life there are gambles. Therefore I'm betting for Christ.

As the old saying goes "you gotta be in it to win it"

Cheers
    ozidude
    I suppose it comes down to whether you like to believe in things that are true, or things that aren't true. Personally, I prefer the truth.

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Onefella For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (08-08-17),alpha0ne (09-08-17),eeprommemory (08-08-17),Learjet (09-08-17),Rick (08-08-17),tytower (23-08-17),william10 (08-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Are you thinking of starting your own choir or are you looking to join one?
    I'm a bit too old for joining one already, no?
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,240 Times in 1,921 Posts

Pfft, okay, so how was the "intelligence" that created the universe created? And which universe did this so called "intelligence" create anyway?

Michio Kaku: There is a website that quoted me incorrectly. That’s one of the drawbacks of being in a public sphere: sometimes you get quoted incorrectly. And the reference I saw said that I said that you can prove the existence of God. My point of view is different. My own point of view is that you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast