Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow and why?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozidude View Post

Like many things in life there are gambles. Therefore I'm betting for Christ.

As the old saying goes "you gotta be in it to win it"

Cheers
    ozidude
    oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzee, And here I was thinking that Christians were pure and never gamble, good luck getting your win

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

All atheist, read this (doesnt apply to me as i am a fence sitter, agnostic)
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,240 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    LOL, that says more about the morality (and hypocrisy) of religion than anything else.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (08-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,093 Times in 9,097 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    LOL, that says more about the morality (and hypocrisy) of religion than anything else.
    Says more about the human race in general to me.

anti-atheist studies......bwahahahahahah
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

From the .
    Quote Originally Posted by nature.com
    Entrenched moral suspicion of atheists suggests that religion’s powerful influence on moral judgements persists, even among non-believers in secular societies.
    The study looks well thought out and fairly comprehensive, so I have no reason to disbelieve it.

I'm afraid I'm not all that surprised at the findings. All I can say is, if they had asked me to participate in the study, I would not have thought a morally corrupt person would more likely to be an atheist. In fact in my experience, the few true atheists I have known (not deists, apologist, or agnostic) have been highly intelligent people who have deeply held ethics and moral codes.

It's the difference between wanting to be a good person, and being told to be a good person. I bet I know which option would give a more honest result.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Onefella View Post
    From the .

The study looks well thought out and fairly comprehensive, so I have no reason to disbelieve it.

I'm afraid I'm not all that surprised at the findings. All I can say is, if they had asked me to participate in the study, I would not have thought a morally corrupt person would more likely to be an atheist. In fact in my experience, the few true atheists I have known (not deists, apologist, or agnostic) have been highly intelligent people who have deeply held ethics and moral codes.

It's the difference between wanting to be a good person, and being told to be a good person. I bet I know which option would give a more honest result.
    “With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.”

― Steven Weinberg
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

allover (08-08-17),eeprommemory (08-08-17),Onefella (08-08-17),Thala Dan (10-08-17),Tiny (08-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

So all those Catholic priests I've been reading about lately are actually closet atheists.

Well, bugger me......oops.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

As long as you confess your SINS to the Catholic priest you can do anything you want and GOD will forgive you.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    As long as you confess your SINS to the Catholic priest you can do anything you want and GOD will forgive you.
    Vicious circle that...
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

how to find out if you religion is fake next time you go to church don't give them any money nothing for the rest of your life i am sure you will get the fire and brimstone treatment real fast tho.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

enf (08-08-17),william10 (08-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

An oldie but a goodie...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

mtv (08-08-17),ol' boy (08-08-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Ducati

the only true god, horsepower

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    An oldie but a goodie...

Here's the direct player.

Gotta love George's work.

Thanks

Unfortunately this kind of topic is rarely a discussion and just people bashing other people because they want to point out how their view is right and others are wrong, all the while complaining about people that do it to them.

IMO, drop the term religion and replace it with world view, and then maybe you'll get a better discussion. We all have a world view that is shaped by our experience and beliefs. But that doesn't stop people ridiculing others, which is clearly happening in this thread.

As for a question asked earlier about Jesus being real, Jesus is a well documented historical figure that even atheist scholars typically agree existed. Many agree that he was the Jesus of the Bible and was a 'good' man etc. Where the big difference occurs is whether he was the son of God or not. Which is why the Jewish leaders of the time wanted him dead.

The Bible is a well documented book that has information that has been discredited in the past, but then later identified to have been accurate. My memory isn't the best, but one example was one of the kings that had no historical record, so it was used to discredit the bible, until they uncovered evidence for that king. There is a lot of information in the Bible that assists historians in determining other parts of history, as it is considered a historical book.

Parts of the Bible have been found (Dead sea scrolls) showing how the original text of the Bible has not changed over ~2000 years (note that translations have changed, because it's scholars trying to take a very old text in an ancient language and make it readable to the 'average Joe'. One of the reasons for this, was historically it was a huge deal to replicate the Bible, it had to be done 'perfectly' due to the reverence people had for it.

Too many people discredit information because of their world view and understanding of another.

If you do want to know more, there is plenty information on the net about it.

To answer the OP's original question, I was baptised Catholic, went to Catholic school, despised God cause of the school. Eventually my parents let me change schools. When I was 23 I started researching major religions to see if there is any truth to them.

For the next two years, I researched, attended 3 bible studies per week (one was at a local university, where they had local figure heads of different religions come in to discuss why they believe what they believe, which was great), and went to church at least once per week, sometimes twice per week to various churches.

The only one that made sense once you go below the surface level, in my head, was Christianity. After two years of research, I put my trust into the Christian faith.

I know people that put next to no research in and became Christian. I know scientists that are Christian (my wife has a PhD in bio medicine and works with DNA and RNA) and have had their faith strengthened by science. The amount of 'design' in DNA and RNA is insane, the chance of it just occurring is, (so I've been told by mathematicians) by mathematical/statistical definition, impossible. I don't pretend to understand it all, my brain has nowhere near the capacity to understand all the math and science.

Premium Member
    Thanks

What a load of nonsensical, ambiguous HORSE SHIT.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-08-17),enf (10-08-17),Onefella (10-08-17),Thala Dan (10-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozidude View Post

I am a Christian. If you study history, archeology, philosophy, languages, science and non biblical evidence of Jesus Christ, you will find many reasonable arguments for the Christian faith.
    And you are what type of Christian? Young Earth / universe creationist or do you accept an old Earth / universe?

Statistically about 40% of Americans believe the Earth was created in 7 literal days 6000 years ago along with Noah and a global flood. The percentage of belief drops as education increases beyond college level, especially in Earth sciences. Some 97% of scientists accept evolution.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (10-08-17),enf (10-08-17),Onefella (10-08-17),Tiny (10-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    And you are what type of Christian? Young Earth / universe creationist or do you accept an old Earth / universe?

Statistically about 40% of Americans believe the Earth was created in 7 literal days 6000 years ago along with Noah and a global flood. The percentage of belief drops as education increases beyond college level, especially in Earth sciences. Some 97% of scientists accept evolution.
    Exactly the point I tried to make earlier. Education in the sciences will erode the need for religion in a gradual and non violent way. It will just fade to grey.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Learjet (10-08-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    What a load of nonsensical, ambiguous HORSE SHIT.
    Actually, Al, that does not further the discussion one way or the other. You are just Trolling.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Actually, Al, that does not further the discussion one way or the other. You are just Trolling.
    I'm trolling??

See if you can get that half cell in your head called a brain around these words and rearrange then;

Kettle, Black, Pot.

Chrisgrind got exactly the reply from me that he was trying to elicit, I thought I would accomodate him, wouldn't want him to feel disappointed, you do realise this whole thread is nothing but one big joke don't you, or does that send the half brain cell into overload....
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast