Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which religion do you follow and why?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I dunno about that Al...it's been a pretty successful scam, so I wouldn't be calling THEM the half wits......
    Good point Enf.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

enf (14-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Jesus will return soon...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (16-08-17),mtv (14-08-17),Onefella (14-08-17),Thala Dan (15-08-17),Tiny (15-08-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (15-08-17),eeprommemory (16-08-17),enf (15-08-17),mandc (15-08-17),Thala Dan (15-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

mandc (14-08-17),mtv (14-08-17),ol' boy (15-08-17),Thala Dan (15-08-17),Uncle Fester (15-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (15-08-17),eeprommemory (16-08-17),enf (15-08-17),Learjet (15-08-17),mtv (15-08-17),ol' boy (15-08-17),Tiny (15-08-17),Uncle Fester (15-08-17)

Thanks

Well that all been very interesting . thank you all for your contributions

I think of this from time to time and it occurred to me that when we loose someone we love we are vulnerable. We want to think of them as still being alive somewhere else being themselves, being happy and doing all the things they loved and would like to be doing. . It makes our hearts and minds warm and more settled to think that might be the case . Therein lies our susceptibility I think . We open ourselves to silly suggestions in our weakest times . Ghosts and monsters in the darkness and lightening bolts from the sky in the day.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

With all due respect, you guys don't have a clue what you are talking about.

The God I know detests religion and everything it represents. I don't know the god of whom you all speak.

Yeah, and then for everyone who claims not to believe in religion - hahahahahahahahahaha I have only a few simple questions for you:

Spoken to your wife recently? Kissed her goodnight yet? Kissed her arse enough yet for one day?

You really do love her, don't you?

Remembered to tell your children about the birds and the bees, did you?

One truly can't live alone your whole life, it just doesn't feel right somehow, does it?

Had to see the bank manager last Friday didn't you? You get that mortgage?

Got a haircut, and took a shave before you saw him? Had to make a good impression, no doubt. Your old school principal would be so proud if he could see you now. He knew you would see it his way one day, eventually.

How about when you spoke to your boss earlier this morning. He likes being called sir, doesn't he?

Look at that body. All those hours in the gym and eating correctly is really paying off. You should live past at least 89 now...

Remembered to put those schedules on your smart phone I hope?

Yeah.

Definitely no religion going on here whatsoever folks...

Yeah, don't believe in God, rather believe in everything other people convince you of... great move. They seem happy, let's do what they all do...

Sofia is officially dead.
    Last edited by irritant; 24-08-17 at 07:42 AM.
    True freedom is the greatest gift a man can possess, yet is the one thing most easily and innocently given away, to crafty curses and binds cleverly disguised as blessings and gifts, in the pursuit of supposed achievement, status and power.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post

I think of this from time to time and it occurred to me that when we loose someone we love we are vulnerable. We want to think of them as still being alive somewhere else being themselves, being happy and doing all the things they loved and would like to be doing. . It makes our hearts and minds warm and more settled to think that might be the case .
    Yeah, i hear you, so do a lot of members here.
    But they do live on and in the safest place possible, in your memories. Where essentially, they can NEVER die!
    That might sound all too cliché, but it is more powerful than you think.
    Took me years to work that out....

They leave an imprint that can not be erased.
    And when you find yourself, in 10, 20 years time taking your son or grandson to a place your Mother, Father, Grandfather used to take you, then you realise the connection and that their influence is not dead.

To me, that is more personal and powerful than anything a "religion" is going to provide.
    Although, i guess to some degree, Religion can tell a similar story and is perhaps why people get so easily fooled.

But really, its for people that need to be told.
    If you are weak and easily lead, then being told is for you.

I see in todays society, worship and religion has changed, today its Football and NRL or F1 or whatever.
    Some people say it is all just about controlling the masses, so we don't all run free.
    I guess to some degree, the shift away from traditional worshiping and into a sport or passion is quite real.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

william10 (24-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

When my parents died, first my father and then mum a few years later, there was a viewing each time. My brother went and my eldest daughter went but I refused. I had all the photos and videos of living breathing people in my head and I was more content with that than anything else.

They were pretty devout Catholics, and out of respect for them I attended church at the funerals even though I am an atheist. I just felt I should to ease other peoples grief, not my own. I remember after my mothers mass, her sister approached me and asked why I didn't attend communion...I looked her in the eye and told her straight that my hypocrisy only went so far. She seemed content with that, if not entirely happy.

OB...I don't think current sport has replaced religion. It's entertainment. To control the masses I'm waiting for Rollerball........
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (24-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tytower View Post
    I think of this from time to time and it occurred to me that when we loose someone we love we are vulnerable. We want to think of them as still being alive somewhere else being themselves,.
    Perhaps the lesson from that, is to give more of your time to those you love that are still alive today, as at one point, they will be in the position you are now.
    Of course, all these things are easier said than done... Like most of us, we generally just get back to doing what we were doing, even if our intentions are good.

So getting back to Religion, on the surface, i see many good things in common religions i've seen.
    Most are based around respect for your fellow man
    Helping when a person is in need
    Living by some type of moral code, whether that is not smoking or drinking or committing adultery, respecting your elders, etc
    So really, there is some good things or lessons in there.
    If that helps someone live their life and feel whole, then great.
    I honestly don't see it as a bad thing and probably more kids today could do with some of these traits.

Its when it crosses the line into fairyland and you will be judged for your sins and God is watching blah blah that it losses the plot.
    I know plenty of religious people that live a normal functional life, they don't judge others or wish to convert you.
    It is simply a life choice for them.

But, if you have just gone through a deeply personal and emotional time losing a loved one, and you are thinking of a religion to help you through.......

Would be my advice
    Last edited by ol' boy; 24-08-17 at 10:51 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (24-08-17),enf (24-08-17)

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345