Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which religion do you follow and why?

Thanks

Default Which religion do you follow and why?

This may or may not be permissible so I respectfully submit it in the hope it can stay for a while and receive some feed back in . -No arguments just free posts. Id like people to pull it apart or reinforce it however they like.
    I am not a religious person . By that I mean i do not follow a religion that is espoused by other people and blindly accepted by their followers who seem to be able to ignore the obvious common sense opinions to the contrary.

Consider this . There are thousands of religions in the world and every one of them declares that they are the only right religion. All the others are misguided and should convert to their religion.

There is not , and there never has been, any tangible proof that any gods or saviors ever existed . It is in every case a collection of stories told by people that were storytellers for a living. They were able to get food, lodgings and sex by entertaining others with those stories . The stories were suitably embellished to those aims. When writing became available they wrote those stories down to pass on to their progeny .Why not ,it worked for them.

Much damage has been done by these religious zealots over the centuries to people and their cultures . The big religions in this world have much to answer for . Billions of lives lost.

Now we have 7 odd billion human souls alive at any one time , multiple billions of other lifeforms and insects and microscopic life. So who gets to heaven? Who to hell ? Who is elegible?

I don't know where the cutoff point lies for what life does not qualify to be considered but clearly they must be crowded places! Consider the average lifespan used to be only 30 or so years for humans ,10 for dogs , days for insects ,seconds for microbes. There are a lot of souls to fit in there somewhere. It just does not seem to gel does it?

And how about the Joyce Meyers and Billy Grahams etc etc . They spoke to God at breakfast and he said.... ,Last night God told me.... Give me a break. Little old ladies send them money.

So my religion is reality.

What I see is real , what i touch is real . What I hear and smell is real.

What I feel inside is sadness for a world exploding itself into oblivion ,locked in the fantasies of a few crazy zealots.

Perhaps this fellow knows
    Last edited by tytower; 03-08-17 at 08:21 PM.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

No imaginary sky fairies for me.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (05-08-17),loanrangiel (09-08-17),VroomVroom (06-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

I like the basic christian tenets that have given me the privilege of growing up and living in a free society. I thank my parents generation for fighting for that.

But as for all the boogaboo and the standard eternal life scam?....forget it.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-08-17)

Banned
    Thanks

Which religion do you follow and why?
    None, because I can.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

My religion has one commandment "Don't be an arsehole"

I don't even need to go to a church/temple/mosque to follow it. Eternal life? No thanks...this one has been good enough.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (05-08-17),mtv (05-08-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

That is a very good question. It should allow us to discuss our reasons for our beliefs without falling into the derogatory remarks that sometimes tend to follow such questions. If we are rational, and intelligent, we should be able to discuss such a topic without resorting to name calling and other unhelpful remarks.

I actually do follow the Christian Tenets. My rationale is that, given the complexity of the universe, there has to be some form of intelligence behind it all. I tend to look at cause and effect, so I do believe what I can see and feel. We have yet to see the intermediary pieces in the evolutionary puzzle as there are may creatures on this planet that have an ability that could not have evolved and that are essential for their lives. (can't recall specifics at this stage, but can look it up). Everything that we rely on in this world has been created and creation has been demonstrated on a daily basis. The only evolutionary processes that have been demonstrated are those at the hand of man (e.g. improvements in design). I also claim that my way is the only way, but, again that is part of my chosen tenet and can cite many reasons why. Without reference to my Holy book I can only contend from my experience - i.e. my testimony, and of those around me. To me, there is substantial anecdotal evidence of a guiding hand on my life, others would call it good, or otherwise, luck. For those who contend that they only live by what they see and feel, please show me "Luck". We do actually rely on many things that we cannot see and feel - we can, however see, or feel, the effects thereof - which is not unlike my faith in God. Whether Buddhists, Taoist, Leprechauns, or Muslims get into paradise, is not for me to say. I choose to live according to my religion because it allows me to be the best I can be.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Religion in a science thread, nice and contradictory.

Because religion originally supposed to explain the 'how' and answer the 'why' of people who 'thought'.
    So science was basically a crime as it questioned what is written in the bible, the only book you should read.
    So much for christian religion promoting a 'free society'.
    Newton was somehow a game changer.

I think a large majority of people can't actually handle 'free'.
    They want to be guided(controlled) because they lack the creativity of making their own decisions.
    Not everbody is manager material, they need a boss. So in their life that role is their god.

Today things have changed.
    Religion has been replaced with the Internet, and God is Google/Apple/Facebook.
    This new God dictates the sheeple/followers what they must buy and how they should behave.

However the raw Internet is also MY religion, where I can mostly find the answers to 'how and why' which help me make my own decisions
    by avoiding all the advertising banners and click-me buttons.
    Google/Apple/Facebook has been burned here on my stake and hosts file

As for eternal life? ....these guys have convinced me decades ago(observe the 'followers'):

Yeaaaaarrrh, when I was younger and there was no Internet, Music was my religion
    ...but science ALWAYS was.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-08-17 at 12:24 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I follow Islam, closely and with a 50BMG at my side, incase one comes too close.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-08-17 at 12:13 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (05-08-17),eeprommemory (05-08-17),enf (04-08-17),mandc (04-08-17),Seymour Butts (04-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Ducati

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

eeprommemory (05-08-17),Tactile (04-08-17),VroomVroom (06-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I dont follow any, but I'll take Christmas and Easter Eggs they can keep the rest.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,526 Posts

Religion is the root of all evil, satan is an angle! I dont and never would follow any of the crap.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (04-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Too many people have died and wars fought over religious views or land.

There is no religion in our space and never will be.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (04-08-17),Rick (04-08-17),Uncle Fester (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Too many people have died and wars fought over religious views or land.
    And where is this so called god when so many good people are being taken too soon? Ive lost so many good friends and family in the last 8 years to cancer, no god there to save or help them, just medial muppets and their experimental treatments that didnt work.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

enf (05-08-17)

Thanks

"I don't know where the cutoff point lies for what life does not qualify to be considered but clearly they must be crowded places! Consider the average lifespan used to be only 30 or so years for humans ,10 for dogs , days for insects ,seconds for microbes. There are a lot of souls to fit in there somewhere. It just does not seem to gel does it?"

You are forgetting about reincarnation!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    <nods in agreeance>

We at the Satanic church do not discriminate against different religions.
    We believe that everybody can go to hell.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (05-08-17),eeprommemory (05-08-17),LeroyPatrol (05-08-17),Uncle Fester (05-08-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Excellent point!

Which is why I've now moved it to General Chat.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

allover (05-08-17),trash (06-08-17),Uncle Fester (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,664 Times in 831 Posts

I too, like you guys, believe in the real and the tangible. But, I also know that you don't know what you don't know, and there can be more "real" out there than we have yet discovered.

But, as for religion, nah.

However, I put this to you guys to consider. If you were to be a victim of the actions of said religious zealot, then, to you, is his/her god real? Bear in mind, he/she acted in belief/faith and has taken/changed your life. You were killed or mamed as a result of their religious beliefs. Is their god real to you?

That becomes a scary thought. Even if you don't believe in something, it can still be "real". You might wholeheartedly believe that a god, called X, may not exist, but because someone else does, X essentially becomes real anyway. People act in belief. Their actions are real. The consequences are real. The effects are real. The rift in history is real.

I mean if the results/repurcussions are real, the damage was done and is real, then, for all intents and purposes, X is pretty much real. Even without really being real!!!

And that's the problem with believing in the real and tangible only. You have your real, but some other d*ckhead has their real and tangible too. And their real intersects your real whether you like it or not. And you cannot just have 50% of reality, you have to live 100% of reality, and their beliefs of what is real has to be considered thus too.

My "religion" is thus learning and experiencing, to generate wisdom in oneself. Learning as much about everything around you as possible, and learning what you didn't even know you had to learn. Prepare for the unexpected sort of thing. Because reality includes what other people think and do too, and like I said, you don't know what you don't know.

Religions have always been to me just words. Talk. Actions govern the world. People DO stuff. And that's as real as it gets. But, they DO what they believe, and they believe what they are told (talk). So, you can't throw away the talk either. You have to understand thus their religions too and try to figure out what the next move will be. Could mean the difference between life and death.

And the answers to all one's questions are often not in words, but right infront of you in the form of images you see every day. I never listen to politicians, preachers, church people, etc. When I want to know something, I test it, and I constantly look around me. The answers are under your nose 99% of the time. Hiding in plain sight. It's the BS people talk that hides it. Religion serves to hide it.

Sometimes you have to think like a stubborn idiot. The truth is often simple. People make it complicated. The interpreter tricks himself. The answers are right there, but you have to look through the right lens.
    Last edited by irritant; 05-08-17 at 08:13 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to irritant For This Useful Post:

william10 (05-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

I was always afraid that if I didn't drink the beer in the glass I had NO CHANCE of seeing a god in the bottom.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Rick (05-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,178 Times in 1,899 Posts

Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (05-08-17),william10 (05-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

What I get annoyed about are the minority religions trying to change the beliefs and celebrations of a mostly christian based society here in oz. I enjoy xmas, easter....even if the bunny isn't real. But we all know santa is real. I don't know why we can't celebrate all this plus more in our schools or work places without feeling guilty or the like. It's not to offend but if people get offended then it's not the country for them. But we all know they won't go because our welfare system is too generous. Wow really kinda getting off topic now but then it's all kinda related.

Leroy

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

irritant (05-08-17)

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast