Thread: Dell laptop battery wont charge past 96%

Thanks

Default Dell laptop battery wont charge past 96%

Hi all,

i recently bought a new laptop battery for my Dell XPS15 after the old one would only charge up to 86% and not last very long.

Once I received the new battery, I plugged it in and let it charge over night thinking that it would be 100% by the morning. when I checked the battery level in the morning, it was 92% and the when i hovered the cursor over the battery icon, the message came up saying 92% plugged in and charging.

I then calibrated the battery by creating a new power plan and while on battery, I have nominated Never for turn off the display and to put the computer to sleep.

Thinking this would fix the problem I completely drained the battery then fully charged it. Now it gets to 96% and when hovering the mouse, it says 96% plugged in and charging.

Does anybody know why this may be happening? i am using windows 10. Is there something I should be doing which will allow the battery to charge up to 100%?

Thanks all for your reply.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Not sure it's true of newer batteries, but there was a time that it required a few charge/discharge cycles to allow a battery to achieve its optimum. For that fact, back in the day, NiCd batteries used to remember the charge cycle and would never let you charge beyond a certain point, and also decided that they were flat whenever you would regularly decide to charge.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Did you get the battery directly from Dell or off Ebay?
    I rarely get those Ebay clones to work properly these days.
    Otherwise measure the voltage on your Power supply, that it corresponds with what is written on it.
    Sometimes they have crooked values like 19.5V so you might measure 19.6V which is OK but not 19V.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Is the new battery a genuine Dell battery of the same capacity as the original?

Sometimes generic replacement batts don't use the same charge-sensing as genuine batts.... especially if they are higher capacity than the original.

As mentioned, sometimes new batts can need to be cycled several times before they reach full capacity.

If it's working and holding charge, I wouldn't be overly concerned what the numbers say.

Thanks

I bought it off ebay. It has improved from the first initial charge to the second one so I'll cycle it a few more times and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Maybe the power supply is faulty because if its doing this to your new battery try another one if you can