Thread: Get Off Your Arse Victoria

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Default Get Off Your Arse Victoria

It seems to me that the PC situation in Victoria is reaching crisis point, and regardless of political affiliation you should make a real effort to take back control of the twilight zone....

(probably paywalled)

Children’s Court bid to gag victims of youth thugs
    SHANNON DEERY, Herald Sun
    August 9, 2017 9:00pm
    Subscriber only

VICTIMS of young thugs would be effectively gagged from speaking out about the crimes in a new push to protect juvenile offenders.

Children’s Court president Amanda Chambers this week threatened that journalists could face large fines and even up to two years’ jail for publishing articles that identify victims who want to tell their stories. Her warning letter says it is critical not to “embarrass or stigmatise” young accused.

Longstanding legislation restricts publication of anything that could identify a child who is subject to court proceedings, or a witness in the proceedings.

But Judge Chambers is now warning that once a child is arrested, media coverage that identifies any victims or witnesses could be in breach of the law.

“Some journalists have conducted interviews with victims clearly being identified on camera, or with victims’ faces pixelated or distorted,” she writes.

“Various news reports have published particulars such as the names, ages and occupations of victims. For the purposes of (the Act) a witness may be a victim of an alleged offender.”

Toorak jeweller Tony Fialides, whose store has twice been the subject of terrifying armed robberies, was shocked by the warning.

“I think it’s grossly unfair that we should be gagged,” he said.

And Police Association Victoria secretary Wayne Gatt said: “While we acknowledge and respect the right to anonymity young offenders are afforded due to their age, we also must acknowledge the rights of victims to tell their story.”

“Unless a comment made by a witness or victim identifies a young offender, then innocent people deserve the right, for their own healing and the wider public interest, to talk about their experiences. To gag them from speaking is to inflict a further injustice on them.”

Judge Chambers flagged referring any breaches to the Director of Public Prosecutions.
    Judge Amanda Chambers is now warning that once a child is arrested, media coverage that identifies any victims or witnesses could be in breach of the law.

Her warning, updating one in 2009, is the first of its kind to have been issued since then.

It has prompted several media outlets to challenge it.

Leading media lawyer John-Paul Cashen, of Macpherson Kelley which represents the Herald Sun, said the warning was not supported by the legislation.

“In our view, there is simply no basis for an interpretation … that prevents publication of the identity of eyewitnesses and victims, except in rare cases where that person is also a witness in the proceeding, or when publication is likely to identify a child or other party to the proceeding,” he said.

Mr Cashen said the Act did not refer to “a potential witness in the proceeding” nor to “an eyewitness to an event which is relevant to a proceeding.

“Had parliament intended the provision to have that effect it would have expressed the provision in such terms.”

He said the public should be informed as much as possible about youth crime. “Telling the stories of victims and eyewitnesses is a powerful way to educate the public and bring about social change,” he said.

“Media outlets are always careful not to identify children. However, we must make sure that restrictions do not go beyond what parliament intended,” Mr Cashen said.

Children’s Court of Victoria spokeswoman Ashe Whitaker said the warning was not a “court-imposed gag ... but a reminder to the media about the importance of complying with the law, which prohibits the media publishing information that may identify parties to a case in the Children’s Court.”

“Complying with the law does not prevent the media reporting on the nature and extent of offending or on the impact of offending by children, but prohibits the identification of parties to Children’s Court proceedings,” she said.

The problem of youth crime came to a head during last year’s Moomba riots.

There have since been dozens of carjackings, jewellery store robberies, and violent home invasions.

Data shows fewer young people committing crime but more committing multiple offences, increasing overall youth offending.

Crime Statistics Agency data revealed the City of Melbourne was a hotspot, showing a 20.3 per cent increase in offences committed by people aged 18 and under in the 12 months to September 2016.

The state government has struggled to curb the trend despite introducing new offences and boosting police numbers.
    JEWELLER DEPLORES COURT GAG

YOUNG thugs have terrorised jeweller Tony Fialides, twice staging brazen burglaries of his Toorak store.

In the latest robbery they stole more than $100,000 worth of jewellery prompting Mr Fialides to introduce a range of new security measures.

He says gagging victims of youth crime threatens transparency and threatens public discussion to encourage social change.
    Jeweller Tony Fialides says gagging victims of youth crime threatens transparency. Picture: Alex Coppel.

“It’s absolutely wrong that victims of youth crime aren’t allowed to air their views. It is just another case of hiding what’s really going on,” he said.

“From my point of view. it seems to me, once again, the victims are being ignored as they have been in lots of cases, especially jewellers over the last 10 or 12 months.

“I think it’s grossly unfair that we should be gagged.”

Mr Fialides’ store was robbed twice in three months. In one robbery a store manager had a gun pointed at his head.

“I support protection of the young, but I do believe that victims of crime need even more support,” he said.

“I like transparency as much as possible. Young people deserve a chance, but you can go too far.

“It doesn’t seem a healthy way of doing things for me.”
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-08-17)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

So we have the Victorian judiciary warning that the great unwashed should not be fully informed about juvenile crime.

Meantime, the Victorian Opposition leader is enjoying lobster and champers with members of the adult crime fraternity.

Whilst behind the scenes his party machine devises innovative ways to distribute donations from the same fraternity.

When the missus and I caravanned around Australia for ten years, we used to see thousands of Victorian number-plates with the slogan “Victoria – the place to be”.

We always used to wonder that if Victoria was the place to be, how come they were all up here in Qld and the NT?

I think I now know the answer

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-08-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

I might agree with gag orders until the criminals are found guilty, then, all bets are off....but! If you cannot report the details of a crime how the hell are they going get witnesses to come forth. It's all well and good keeping some details secret, but you may not even realise you've witnessed anything until you hear something that triggers a memory. Victims have rights, too, something that the courts, and legislators, seem to forget.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Many years ago I was in Albury and the slogan all over the place was "Victoria - On The Move". Some ute outside a pub had altered his to "On The Take"...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-08-17),Thala Dan (10-08-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Many years ago I was in Albury and the slogan all over the place was "Victoria - On The Move". Some ute outside a pub had altered his to "On The Take"...
    One of those rare instances where all the States and the Feds are as one

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Children’s Court president Amanda Chambers this week threatened that journalists could face large fines and even up to two years’ jail for publishing articles that identify victims who want to tell their stories. Her warning letter says it is critical not to “embarrass or stigmatise” young accused.
    Had to be a woman making said threats, insanity and rampant PC that seems to be highly contagious to other women

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-08-17),Jma (10-08-17)