Thread: Fuel Differences

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Default Fuel Differences

I may be imagining things, but does anyone besides me think there is a significant difference in fuel brands?

I drive an SS VE, and only ever use Premium 98. I have not done any real comparison, but it seems to me that Shell fuel goes further and runs smoother. I reckon on simple estimation that I'm getting about 6-8% better mileage than say Woollies Caltex. I always thought that fuel grades were always basically standard across types.

I could be dreaming I suppose.....anyone had any similar experience?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Interesting, i always think i got further on Caltex, but its always more $$$ around here.
    It was known for a lot of years, not to use Shell PULP in Motorbikes (both dirt and road), too many detergents etc.
    Most would recommend BP or Caltex.

On the Shell website it states, “Although Shell V-Power is compatible with most bikes, there may be a requirement to make slight adjustments to the engine such as changing spark plugs and reducing the size of carburettor jets, or a combination of both.”

BP, Caltex and Mobil don’t say your bike will need such adjustment, so using Shell might well be something to be wary of.
    Like you have said, i never saw any hard evidence either way.
    Info came from bike shops and racers alike.

The only semi reliable info i heard, was a friend that works at the Geelong Shell refinery, who makes fuel for everyone from what i under stand.
    They sell the unadulterated raw fuel to each company (BP, Caltex, etc) well the near by ones anyway, then they add their own detergents and crap it was explained to me.

There are only seven refineries in Australia producing all of the nation’s unleaded fuel; the BP and Caltex refineries in Queensland, Shell and Caltex refineries in NSW, Mobil and Shell in Victoria and BP in West Australia.

You might think that if you filled up in a Mobil service station in Queensland you would get fuel from the Mobil refinery in Victoria. Nope. What you will get is fuel refined in either the BP or Caltex units Queensland but the refinery will add specific contents as per Mobil’s requirements.
    The same applies with other brands in the other States.
    This particular person would buy fuel from 1 particular servo in Geelong that sold unbranded fuel, it was just Pure PULP, with nothing else added.

I fill up at the APCO because it is a few cents cheaper generally, but i do wonder what the fuel is, doesn't seem to get me as far per tank as Caltex of BP

Some reading here:

Another point might, how fresh is the fuel?
    Apparently this makes a difference.

Can take between 9-18 weeks for fuel to arrive at a servo, depending on turnover.
    I guess that might account for something?

So perhaps the busiest servo fuel is the best?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-08-17 at 01:21 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (13-08-17),Tiny (13-08-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Another thing that occurred to me is that there might be differences at the pump in that they are adjusted differently. One particular set of bowsers may say the tank is full at a different point, appearing to alter the mileage.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Honestly, who know what fuel we get enf

There is a regional town i travel through each couple of weeks
    It had a Shell Servo, was very handy if you were running on low
    Then it closed (almost found out the hard way!)
    After 1 year, it opened again as a Caltex and with prices better than larger surrounds towns!! Woohoo!!!
    It was now my preferred fill up servo.

After 3 months it change to BP and price went up 13cents a litre!!!!
    To be on average 2 or 3 cents more than the larger surounding towns

I said to the lady when paying, what shame BP have bought in and fuel has gone up, no one will stop now.
    She said, its been the same truck filling our tanks for years now, its the same fuel....

So its got me stuffed.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-08-17 at 01:30 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Another thing that occurred to me is that there might be differences at the pump in that they are adjusted differently. One particular set of bowsers may say the tank is full at a different point, appearing to alter the mileage.
    I tell you, i am so close to measuring what APCO sell in a correct and checked 10litre container!
    I know its all meant to be above board and checked, but i do wonder.