Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Why I am Voting NO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

Tony doesn't get everything right, though. Yes, I think there will be more getup style advocacy on the right. But I don't think it has come about from the same sex marriage issue. It has been happening for a while and is essentially a reaction to the years of political correctness and intolerance. We have seen this in Trump, in Brexit, in the fracturing of the Coalition, the rise of Pauline Hanson and numerous other guises. So far it has been a healthy thing. We are actually talking about issues where the left ideologues would have suppressed any debate even a few years ago. The fact that we even had a vote and a public debate on same sex marriage, flawed as that vote may be, is a huge defeat for their cause. Same sex marriage need not be the disaster some of us fear, provided that the rights of others are respected. Unfortunately history and overseas experience suggests that this will only be the beginning. Proper safeguards in the law can make this the minimalist change that so many argued it would be, though the campaign now to have very minimal safeguards does not bode well.
    Last edited by DB44; 16-11-17 at 11:20 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I heard a comment that Tony Abbotts electorate had a resounding 'YES' vote which shows just how much his own prejudices over rode the wishes of his electorate.
    I am not naive enough to believe that any politician is there purely to represent the electorate unless it suits them shows just how little respect he has for his electorate.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Neddie (16-11-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I heard a comment that Tony Abbotts electorate had a resounding 'YES' vote which shows just how much his own prejudices over rode the wishes of his electorate.
    I am not naive enough to believe that any politician is there purely to represent the electorate unless it suits them shows just how little respect he has for his electorate.
    So, I assume you feel the same about the ALP politicians whos electorates were a resounding NO?

Or is it just that your bigoted hatred of Abbott is such that you feel compelled to single him out, and conveniently forget the soon to be ALP hypocrisy and contempt for their electorates on the same grounds.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Banned

Thanks

Mr Abbott does seem to have moved away from his roots, perhaps they have moved away from him, whatever the case perhaps he will be more at home in the Cory Bernardi conservatives.

However they will need to look for a different cause because it seems the SSM cause is about to become lost to them.

Thanks

city slickers are all gay everyone i know in the country area voted no.
    guess it will be good for the Muslims they can now marry their BRO and do them 5 times a day and marry up to 6 BRO's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eeprommemory View Post
    city slickers are all gay everyone i know in the country area voted no.
    guess it will be good for the Muslims they can now marry their BRO and do them 5 times a day and marry up to 6 BRO's.
    Even the ones without sisters?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Why I am Voting NO

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    61% may well have been true for those that voted, but it is not 61% of the country, or 61% of those eligible to vote - only for those that voted.

Which, as with any survey, is all that counts. The survey was never going to capture all Australians - hell, even compulsory elections don’t do that.

The 20.5% of eligible people who didn’t return their form or who chose to abstain (such as myself) agreed, by virtue of their actions, that they would be satisfied with whatever result the majority ended up choosing. If one didn’t return their form, and are now not satisfied with the result, then they can only blame themselves.

The fact is more than 79% of eligible people returned a correctly filled in form, and of those people more than 61% voted one way. That can only be seen as a clear majority.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Why I am Voting NO

Quote Originally Posted by Neddie View Post
    That may not be quite correct:

There are various laws that make it an offence to refuse service without a valid reason.

For details see .
    Your link though does seem to disagree with this. It confirmed you can refuse anybody business, as long as it not on the basis of those discriminatory grounds.

Clearly if you refuse service on the basis of race, disability, sex, etc you are in the wrong. Which, by the way, is what the baker did (and how this discussion came about).

It’s been suggested in this thread that a business should be allowed to refuse service to somebody on the basis that they are homosexual. Clearly this shouldn’t occur, and gay marriage doesn’t change anything in that respect.

Refusal on any non-discriminatory grounds though are perfectly lawful.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 17-11-17 at 10:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Your link though does seem to disagree with this. It confirmed you can refuse anybody business, as long as it not on the basis of those discriminatory grounds.

Clearly if you refuse service on the basis of race, disability, sex, etc you are in the wrong. Which, by the way, is what the baker did (and how this discussion came about).

It’s been suggested in this thread that a business should be allowed to refuse service to somebody on the basis that they are homosexual. Clearly this shouldn’t occur, and gay marriage doesn’t change anything in that respect.

Refusal on any non-discriminatory grounds though are perfectly lawful.
    No. On the basis that they are "marrying" someone of the same sex. It is perfectly possible for a baker to have no bias whatsoever against homosexuals but a moral objection to same sex marriage. I'm sure there are not too many bakers who would refuse to sell a chocolate eclair to a gay person.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I see that the Yes brigade unfurled a new painting on decision day, insulting Tony Abbott and George Pell. I take my hat off to the people that painted over it......it seems the Yes crowd just cant get enough of insulting people.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (20-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    So, I assume you feel the same about the ALP politicians whos electorates were a resounding NO?

Or is it just that your bigoted hatred of Abbott is such that you feel compelled to single him out, and conveniently forget the soon to be ALP hypocrisy and contempt for their electorates on the same grounds.
    Its amazing with Abbott isnt it ? He has been perfectly behaved through out and was very gracious at the result congratulating the Yes camp. But it never seems to be enough apparently.

The 9 Labor seats that went the other way seem to hardly get a mention. I think they will come election day though.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (17-11-17)

Banned

Thanks

After speaking strongly for the Yes camp, Frances Abbott, the former PMs daughter defects to the conventional side.

It took just two weeks for Frances Abbott to know she'd found "the one" in Sam Loch, and on Sunday, the former prime minister's daughter took to Instagram to let the world know.
    Abbott's surprise engagement to the Australian Olympic rower comes after a whirlwind romance, with the pair reportedly together for just a fortnight.
    see

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

After speaking strongly for the Yes camp, Frances Abbott, the former PMs daughter defects to the conventional side.

see
    How does getting married constitute defecting? I don't understand. The vast majority of YES voters are not gay....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-11-17)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    The vast majority of YES voters are not gay....
    I know, it's called irony, you know ..... A joke.

Thanks

Good one Neddie. It's nice to see a leftist with a sense of humour on such sacred issues.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

I think it is lost on them Neddie
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

Neddie (20-11-17)

• Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617