Thread: RACV Total Care - Anyone here got it?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default RACV Total Care - Anyone here got it?

I've just been reading the Terms and Conditions of RACV Total Care
    An interesting policy

At first glance, seems to good to be true
    But when you read the fine print, there is the usual limitations and restrictions.
    IE: If you run out of fuel, they will bring fuel to your car, YES, but (Limit 5 litres and only in Victoria)

There is also clauses for denying a tow or service call, based on where your vehicle is and if it is deemed an unsafe location

But one attractive point is you are "Covered" in any vehicle your are driving at the time, whether you own it or not.
    You can even nominate 1 vehicle which your not even driving yourself or own, EG: a Daughters Vehicle or Wife.

Flat bed towing is limited to 100ks, no matter if Metro or Regional.
    Im not really a fan of the RACV after a Home Insurance issue with flooding.
    But they seem the only company to offer a Vehicle Policy like this.

Any thoughts?
    Experiences?

More here:
    Last edited by ol' boy; 30-08-17 at 11:53 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I dont think its worth it.

A major factor is the reliability of modern cars.......how many cars do you see broken down on the side of the road these days ?

Running out of fuel is personal laziness and if you dont live metro, 5 litres wont get you far.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I agree, i haven't need anyone for at least 25 years.
    And the last 2 times i've seen friends need a tray truck (one was yesterday) was just after a Mechanic had serviced their car
    One from no engine oil, killed engine
    One from for mates Diesel Van that after spending $2200 to get Serviced, would not re-start once he got it home. (yesty)

Both time a Tray Truck was used.

But as far as a break down when you are far away, say the snow, looks like the best you get a 100k tray truck to the nearest workshop
    Then maybe a taxi fare or hire car home
    Thats if the RA Guy can't get it going road side.

Still, it is interesting how they cover ANY car your are driving at the time, even if its not yours
    I read some posts on the net where a guys have used that function of the policy a few times for mates cars that have stopped.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 30-08-17 at 03:02 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I have Extra Care (the level below Total Care).

Vehicle only a few years old... hole in the radiator, lost coolant and required a flat top tow to a repairer on the opposite side of the city.

Most newer cars have so much electronics that if something minor happens with them, the car shuts down.

Older cars... there's a lot of those still on the road.

A mate has used the Total Care feature a few times of a breakdown in a car he was driving that was not his. (other family members and friends)

I do a lot of travelling, at all hours of the day and night, so I find it comforting to know I'm covered for most circumstances.

Being a long-term member also provides fairly decent discount as well.

Up to the individual, but I wouldn't go without some level of roadside assist.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (30-08-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Our car is 10 this year so it's a yes here. Having said that we have always been members and pay the extra for the outside metro, don't ask me what it includes but we do go away when we can.

On a side note, if you have teenagers that have jut got their license you may find they can join for free. Here in WA anyway they get the first year free and the next couple of years half price. It's not advertised as much as standard membership but it's on the website. May be the same in other states.

Thanks

Member of rac ovr 35 yrsgot ultimate cover last two times cost each was over 300 bucks no worries quickly flat bed home.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

we have the RACQ equivalent called Ultra Care or something like that. Last year we broke down in my partners car , with caravan in tow , and couldnt be fixed roadside. We were almost 550k from home. The car was worth nothing so were prepared to abandon it but we still had our Engel and numerous other stuff in it , plus the van . Couldnt hire a 4WD to get home ( no towbars ) Called the RACQ , they did a short tow to a mechanic who had to diagnose it as unrepairable , then towed it from there all the way home that same day on a tilt tray with the van behind . The cost to us was nil , but that one tow used $1500 worth of our $3000 annual allowance. A non RACQ would have cost us about $1000 for the same distance , plus extra for the van.

like any insurance , you may never ever need it but one day you never know. We do a lot of distance touring with the van these days.

like others have said it does apply to other non owned cars but would you give your allowance to someone else ? depends on who it is i guess!!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

enf (31-08-17),ol' boy (30-08-17),trublu (06-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I have total care. Used it a couple of times and had the boat brought home as well on one occasion. Covers me if on a bike as well. Lots of trekking to Melb lately so nice to have as it includes accomodation as well if req.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (01-09-17)