Thread: Google Chrome will not open to home page

Thanks

Default Google Chrome will not open to home page

I updated windows 10 on my Toshiba Portage Ultrabook
    Now Google Chrome will not open to the home page
    It opens locked on " new tab"
    Settings menu is locked
    Will not search any URL typed in the search bar or open a bookmark .
    I have uninstalled and re installed 3 times
    Any body have a fix for this ??

Cheers

Ramp

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Do you mean you updated to W10 from W7/8 or just allowed W10 to install a periodic update??

Since the settings menu is locked a reset is unlikely to be of any help.

I'd run Malwarebytes to eliminate any chance sketchy background addons or processes that may be causing the problem.

You could then try to uninstall Chrome again & then go to the registry, search & remove all registry entries related to Chrome & then reinstall after a reboot.

Personally I'd just install another browser like Opera, as I've recently switched to it & it really leaves the others begging.

I found in the past sometimes Firefox or Chrome just seem to get flaky so I change browsers, then after not using the old chrome or FF for a while they seem to heal themselves with an update.

PS; Opera will import all your bookmarks from other browsers if you like. Give it a try.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

PS; Opera will import all your bookmarks from other browsers if you like. Give it a try.
    Do you know why Opera has the words "Chrome Start Page" ?

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Do you know why Opera has the words "Chrome Start Page" ?

Yours says that; mine doesn't. lol.
    I don't have the rotten fruit version.

Yes I know that Opera is based on the Blink layout engine as Chrome does, for windows, apple & linux, however it is a way different browser to chrome in Windows, when it comes to features & functionality.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Don't pick on my fruit
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Opera had switched to chromium since ages and it has lost me.

Vivaldi is like Opera used to be, where the user still has better control over functionality and privacy.

I won't touch google chrome with a 10 foot pole.
    I have also read quite often lately about chrome having problems on different platforms after updates.
    For those where it works they can continue to swear by it but where it doesn't this offers an opportunity to try and discover something new.

I never swore by any browser and I currently have Qupzilla, Vivaldi, Firefox and Opera all running on my Mac which I use for different special purposes. One of them is solely used for banking.
    Another is used separately where I might encounter dodgy sites. Another is the only one that has Flash sometimes enabled.
    The fourth one is Qupzilla that I use most of time, because it is lightning fast although still has a few minor bugs.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-09-17 at 07:13 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    I never swore by any browser and I currently have Qupzilla, Vivaldi, Firefox and Opera all running on my Mac which I use for different special purposes. One of them is solely used for banking.
    Another is used separately where I might encounter dodgy sites. Another is the only one that has Flash sometimes enabled.
    The fourth one is Qupzilla that I use most of time, because it is lightning fast although still has a few minor bugs.
    & there you go, you are on the Apple Mac platform, the OP is using W10 as I am.
    I have Chrome, Opera, FireFox, IE & Edge.
    Opera on W10 is no way the same as chrome in functionality & stability, it uses chromium coding in it's base, however it differs quite remarkably in the way it performs, especially on difficult sites to visit. Opera with its inbuilt free VPN (toggle on or off at ease) if you need it; as well as a built in toggle on off add blocker that will remember sites. Chalk & cheese.
    Privacy is just a matter of settings!
    Cheers, Tiny

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

Opera on Windows is the same as Opera on a MAC, both chromium.

As I mentioned above, I have read that GOOGLE Chrome has been misbehaving on multiple platforms.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...