Thread: Google Site Ratings - How do you turn off

Banned
    Thanks

Default Google Site Ratings - How do you turn off

I have a Samsung (android) and like most people I have wifi on, GPS on and have google and google maps enabled. The problem is that when I travel around the phone (google) is constantly asking me the rate and provide reviews of places and businesses I visit. Today it wanted me rate my visit to my local Supercheap store and Bunnings.

I have gone into Google Maps settings and cannot find how I turn this pest off. Obviously I can turn GPS and WiFi off so google will not know where I am but I want to leave these on.

Any ideas how I turn this pest off.

Garry

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Never happens for me. Are you sure you don't have some nasties on your phone? (I have an S7)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Two likely suspects.

Google Maps... check your settings... turn off Notifications.

And/or Google Now > Settings > Notifications > Your Feed > Places

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garrycol View Post
    ...and like most people I have wifi on....

Any ideas how I turn this pest off.

Garry
    ...and that is your sole problem, not GPS.

The only time I have wifi on is at home for a short time to download data or if I really have to read the news using Opera on my phone.
    OTG I prefer to switch on data for a short time if I need some information rather than wifi, because these days so called free Wifi is not actually free, you sign over your whole life to whoever knows who, who is tracking you.

I have pretty much everything that has Google in front of it disabled on my phone, including maps.

I use this:

The interface is very customisable (unlike paid GPS navigators) and the free maps are really good now.
    I personally find them better and more informative than Google maps and most important I have entire Australia(or any part of the World if I want) offline, instantly available with no spam and also where there is no Wifi.

I also have the entire Wikipedia offline on my phone:

and every language dictionary that I might need offline available with text to speak function:

+ I can play every game with no ads because I am one of those strange people who always have Wifi off

So it is up to you if you like spam or want to take back control over your devices.

BTW I only have Asus zoom phone that costed US$200 and has 128GB of internal storage, plus I could add an external 128 SD card for the 1000s of ebooks, emags, music videos, etc but I haven't needed that yet. Wikipedia only uses 58Gig.
    Before that I had a Samsung note, that was considerably preloaded with online hungry junkware, bahhh, good riddance.

Of course I don't use Facebook. Anybody who really needs to contact me can use the Phone
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

allover (02-09-17),tristen (01-09-17)

Banned
    Thanks

I have turned off notifications for all Google stuff and that seems to have done the trick but it means I might not get advised of something important. My Wifi only connects to my home Wifi automatically so having that on is not an issue. I do not have Google Now on the phone - I use the Wifi, google maps and the GPS all the time so am not turning the off - I just thought there would have been something specific in settings somewhere rather than the blanket action of turning notifications off.

I will just turn them back on every now and then to get updates etc.

Thanks

Garry

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

a quick search on duckduckgo also revealed this:
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

allover (02-09-17),joezep (02-09-17)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for that - while I dont quite have the same list of menus I did find the right spot in the settings and disabled all the sections in 'My Contributions' so hopefully no asks to rate places I have been too. I have turned "global" google notifications back on so hopefully I will get their messages but not the place rating requests.

That was exactly what I was after.

Thanks

Garry