Thread: NDiS166 tuneup

Thanks

Default NDiS166 tuneup

Is anyone familiar with an NDiS166 machine ?
    I want to convert it to use as a desktop computer but there's a couple of minor things I need help with.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The unit is a Fanless Digital Signage Player as you have no doubt discovered.

If you list the 'minor things' you need help with perhaps somebody can attempt to help, otherwise we are all in the dark.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-09-17)

Thanks

Yes I'm aware of what it is. It has some pretty good specs i5 cpu etc. so I reckon it would make a good semi-portable computer.
    The issues are I think just 2 which are related to software that starts up with the machine.
    They slow down startup and I don't think I need them if running it as just a computer. In fact they cause the machine to boot twice just for 1 startup.
    So if I'm correct, it's like it has 2 firmware bios, 1 for the computer(as usual) and 1 for the startup software that is I think Intel AMT/ME. Don't know much about it but I think it's based on low level remote computer control.
    I can't figure out how to turn it off and I don't see any advantage for me to keep it.
    Last edited by loopyloo; 27-09-17 at 11:12 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    ...The issues are I think just 2 which are related to software that starts up with the machine.
    They slow down startup and I don't think I need them if running it as just a computer. In fact they cause the machine to boot twice just for 1 startup.
    So if I'm correct, it's like it has 2 firmware bios, 1 for the computer(as usual) and 1 for the startup software that is I think Intel AMT/ME. Don't know much about it but I think it's based on low level remote computer control.
    I can't figure out how to turn it off and I don't see any advantage for me to keep it.
    The Nexcom website indicates that the unit can run on a variety of operating systems..."Operating System Win7 / Win8 / XP / WES7 / WE8S / WES2009 / Linux".

Perhaps the slow startup is due to the initial boot into the operating system followed by loading of the 'digital signage' application.

Have a look at the BIOS following the guide beginning on page 55 of the Owner's Manual (available at ) in an effort to see what can be disabled/enabled.

First things first...

If you connect an USB keyboard and mouse do they work?

According to the manual, the unit has HDMI Type A Connector, VGA Connector and DVI-I Connector.

Does a monitor work?

What's on the display at bootup?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    The Nexcom website indicates that the unit can run on a variety of operating systems..."Operating System Win7 / Win8 / XP / WES7 / WE8S / WES2009 / Linux".

Perhaps the slow startup is due to the initial boot into the operating system followed by loading of the 'digital signage' application.

Have a look at the BIOS following the guide beginning on page 55 of the Owner's Manual (available at ) in an effort to see what can be disabled/enabled.

First things first...

If you connect an USB keyboard and mouse do they work?

According to the manual, the unit has HDMI Type A Connector, VGA Connector and DVI-I Connector.

Does a monitor work?

What's on the display at bootup?
    Sorry I didn't come back sooner, been away.
    Everything works fine, I've installed win7 sp3 onto it.
    The only problem is getting rid of those startup programs if possible so it can startup fast.
    I'll have to take some photos or a vid to show what's on the startup screens. The manual gives description of how to disable the programs but the options don't appear in the bios setup as the manual describes.
    I'll come back with more later.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-10-17)