Thread: Adding an outdoor temperature sensor to Paradox TM50

Thanks

Default Adding an outdoor temperature sensor to Paradox TM50

Hi. For no other reason except nerdiness, I'd like to add an outdoor temperature sensor to my alarm system so I can see what the temp is outside. I have a paradox system with TM50 touchscreen pad. The manual says that I can wire an outdoor temperature sensor into the panel using the blue wire.

My question is - where can I buy a temperature sensor? And is it really as simple as just attaching one wire directly to the TM50? I don't need to wire anything to the panel? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It was designed that way very sensibly. The keypad is typically closer to 'outdoors' e.g. next to your front door, than an alarm control panel which ideally should be located as far from outdoor areas as is possible.

The bad news: The sensor, if you can find one, will need to be mounted in a shady spot and at a particular height otherwise you'll get dodgy temperature readings and the next thing you know people are trying to shut down entire industries, ground planes, revert to the pre-industrial era. It's a whole thing...

See: for mounting tips.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

csx25 (13-11-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The panel is right near my front door so I could mount the sensor really easily under the eaves somewhere near there. It will be close enough accuracy wise for me! Any idea where I could get a sensor?

Thanks

Hi again. So it's next to impossible to find any instructions or even reference to what type of temperature sensor is required. But I finally found something on a product page of paradox:
    "1x Zone/temperature input to connect a detection device or any external Temperature Sensor (10K OHM Thermistor)"

So it says "any 10K OHM Thermistor. I looked up 'thermistor' on Jaycar and found the following part: CAT.NO: RN3432

Next question is: How the hell do I wire this thermistor up to the panel? Sure I need more than that single part? A resistor as well maybe? And I'm guessing that soldering is required?

Thanks

Thanks

You don't wire it to the control panel. You wire it to the keypad.