Thread: has anybody made a supercapacitor jump starter?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Default has anybody made a supercapacitor jump starter?

after a recent flat battery experience on my motorsickle , Ive been thinking about building a small supercapacitor based jump starter which i can leave on the bike just for such emergencies.

i dont know what size is required for a bike ( 700cc ) but been looking on youtube where people have made similar units using these -

what do you think guys?

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

The info in the following thread may help.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

admin (19-09-17)

Thanks

Seen one in jcar cat.

Thanks

thanks , the jaycar one is no longer available. I was thinking more a small capacity unit which takes little room and weighs little.

I may just end up getting a small gel cell bike battery and keep it trickle charged while riding.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If My bike ever had a flat battery I used . All my bikes had one, including my Kamikazi 1000 and 650 ChewSuzki. If worst comes to worst 3rd gear and a quick push down the road would get it going.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (16-09-17)

Thanks

i wish it had a kickstarter but no luck there. Cant even clutch start it - the fuel injection ECU needs signals from the start button and clutch switches before it engages the fuel pump relay.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

How about a new AGM bike battery?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-09-17 at 08:12 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    i wish it had a kickstarter but no luck there. Cant even clutch start it - the fuel injection ECU needs signals from the start button and clutch switches before it engages the fuel pump relay.
    yep, pretty much most of the late model bikes have switch trickery & they also drain the battery significantly when not ridden for 2 or more weeks due to the clocks & immobiliser circuits constant small current drain.

My wifes Ducati came with a Battery Maintainer & was told to use it when not ridden if you want it to start & the battery is a long job to get to if you want to jump start it so a charging harness was fitted by the dealer at pre-delivery.
    My Aprilia has the same advice in the owners manual, however didn't come with one. So I purchased one myself ($50) & fitted the included charging harness.
    Only takes 2 minutes to hook up both bikes to their maintainers after riding.

This is it: Battery fighter BFJ012, it can charge a low battery to 14.4V then it will kick back to 13.2V to maintain battery & prevent the bikes system drawing the battery down.
    Last edited by Tiny; 16-09-17 at 10:06 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

For light weight can,t beat li-Ion, made my own from 3 x 3 18650 cells. Fits into mteed 6v lantern case.

Thanks

Read 6v lantern Battery case!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Not sure what you expected from a capacitor bank. It will just discharge together with your battery.

Carrying a little separate Lithium Ion battery as a jump starter is the way to go but you should use LiFeP04 batteries like this:

They won't explode in the sun or for any other reasons and the low self discharge rate means even after a year it should still start as long as you only connect the extra battery with a jumpsstart lead or heavy duty switch/relay when the main one is dead.

If you want to use any type of lead acid batteries you are no better off than plugging a charger to your existing battery every time you get home, which would annoy me.

I don't understand what sort of bad designed tech is draining these little motorbike batteries that they are dead in 2 weeks from standing around.
    An RTC clock chip can run for several years on a tiny lithium button cell, and the best way to immobilise these high tech electrically hungry circuits would be to supply no power anywhere at all.
    A key with an RFID chip can be polled once it is inserted but otherwise everything should be electrically dead, so no wires can be shorted by a thief to bypass anything.

I wouldn't mess around with 18650 cells and they wouldn't have the required discharge rate >100A anyhow.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 16-09-17 at 11:19 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

tristen (17-09-17)

Thanks

Yes well I had the cells so I used them. Has started my car about a dozen times. On my 200 amp tester, drops to 10.6v, which is great for such a small pack. Yes I prefer lead acid boosters, and they are cheaper with more output- used a agm 12ah for years till it failed, like they &we do!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    If My bike ever had a flat battery I used .
    I thought the link may have been a photo of a wife pushing a husband on a motorbike

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-09-17),lsemmens (20-09-17),Tiny (19-09-17)