Thread: HP Pavillion 23" AIO won't power up, Motherboared PWR LED flashes briefly!

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default HP Pavillion 23" AIO won't power up, Motherboared PWR LED flashes briefly!

I'm hoping someone else has had this problem or has seen/heard of it before.
    I have an HP Pavilion 23-H TouchSmart All-In-One computer that won't power up. Initially I believe it took a power surge and cooked the mother board and power supply.
    I have replaced, Motherboard, CPU, and Ram Power supply.
    Whereas before when I first looked at this unit there was nothing happening, no lights, fans, boot up, NOTHING.
    VOM confirmed power supply was dead.
    I installed all of the above new replacement components and the ONLY sign of life is the onboard motherboard PWR LED briefly flashes. I'm assuming as in other motherboards this light needs to STAY lit. IT DOES NOT.
    This type of AIO computer was very problematic and was discontinued after 2yrs. One of the many problems was a faulty power on switch mounted on the upper left outside frame. But again VOM says micro switch is functioning correctly on this unit, but without motherboard power (as indicated by PWR LED) how can it boot up?

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

It seems to be a fairly common problem. See and others.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

cmangle (16-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    I'm hoping someone else has had this problem or has seen/heard of it before.
    I have an HP Pavilion 23-H TouchSmart All-In-One computer that won't power up. Initially I believe it took a power surge and cooked the mother board and power supply.
    I have replaced, Motherboard, CPU, and Ram Power supply.
    Whereas before when I first looked at this unit there was nothing happening, no lights, fans, boot up, NOTHING.
    VOM confirmed power supply was dead.
    I installed all of the above new replacement components and the ONLY sign of life is the onboard motherboard PWR LED briefly flashes. I'm assuming as in other motherboards this light needs to STAY lit. IT DOES NOT.
    This type of AIO computer was very problematic and was discontinued after 2yrs. One of the many problems was a faulty power on switch mounted on the upper left outside frame. But again VOM says micro switch is functioning correctly on this unit, but without motherboard power (as indicated by PWR LED) how can it boot up?
    First of were these replacement parts new if so why? Even in your description you replaced like 90% of it
    If everything is new and should be fully working - i have seen things like this before just try to get into bios by unpluging everything except for cpu mb and one stick of ram and make sure the ram is in slot one and keyboard of course
    If you can get into bios that way you know something is not in properly or still brocken
    then go from there

Thanks

Use the bare minimum to try to get into bios and then go from there
    Sounds like a few problems i have seen like something not seated right or still brocken

Banned

Thanks

I saw that, but the answer given by "ren22" worked only for him, I tries shorting the ON/OFF switch, changing the CMOS battery, checked Vs out with VOM from new PWR supply, 19.7vdc and still no boot. Its the momentary "ON" from the PWR LED on the motherboard right behind where the power supply "IN" jack is, that puzzles me! Why does it light up momentarily? Is there an on board short (on a brand new motherboard?) i unplugged EVERY cable going to the motherboard from all peripherals and still the same "monetary PWR LED flash" with no help from HP, It is a given, HP support SUCKS!

The generic answer given by them(HP Support) to ren222 is the SAME answer they give you to ANY problem you post!

I have gone through this with them(HP Support) before and as "ren22" said, I asked them "DID YOU READ MY POST?"? All of the info you ask for was included and none of what YOU(HP) replied has anything to do with my problem!

Thanks for the link though, and you're right this unit was very problematic which is why HP dropped this AIO line.

Last edited by cmangle; 16-09-17 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i got one too
    sitting in my wash basket
    seems it wont turn on, i forget now
    ive stole the hdd & ram now
    its a crappy 1.6 or something, no touchscreen so its worth is zero
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Banned

Thanks

To all who maybe able to help, the one thing that defeats the bad/defective POWER On/Off switch(as the cause) is that with that scenario, the PWR LED next to the power in jack is LIT.

For some reason with all NEW components, that same PWR LED only flashes momentarily and then goes out.

Is it safe/correct to assume that if the PWR LED is out, there is no power to the motherboard. So even if the bad/defective POWER on/of switch was functioning OK, it wouldn't have an energized motherboard to turn on?

Thanks

i had the pleasure of working on one of these units with pretty much the same diagnosis.... power led flashes once, fans spin up, then nothing.

after much re-seating and re-thermal pasting the customer decided to call it quits. he was able to re-use the lcd panel by combining it with a lcd controller from some-bay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _Dam0_ View Post
    i had the pleasure of working on one of these units with pretty much the same diagnosis.... power led flashes once, fans spin up, then nothing.

after much re-seating and re-thermal pasting the customer decided to call it quits. he was able to re-use the lcd panel by combining it with a lcd controller from some-bay
    Just reading your post I to have a HP Envy 23" AIO screen from old system and I was looking to do the same with this from fleabay it suits my model but apart from the touchscreen controller it has a backlight plug and board which was connected to the motherboard and I dont see anywhere to plug in into the ebay controller

I have sent the photo below to the ebay seller and asked the same question but being it comes from china Im not sure what the response will be.
    Has anyone else done this conversion

thanks thomo