Thread: External speakers to a Windows 10 notebook.

Thanks

Smile External speakers to a Windows 10 notebook.

Hi everybody,

I have in the last couple of months bought a HP windows 10 notebook.

I have been watching some music on youtube on the notebook and am wondering what speakers people would recommend setting up externally for the computer.

I borrowed some altech lansing speakers sometime ago that I plugged into a laptop that worked pretty nicely as external speakers.

Any ideas - usb speakers!

Thanks everybody.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Altec Lansing systems are very good indeed, as are Bose and Bang and Olufsen...and many others

However audio fidelity can be very subjective. What one listener finds suitable/enjoyable another can find lacking or even objectionable.

Many years ago I was called to the home of a customer, who complained that the top-of-the-range system my employer had sold him was faulty.
    In order to demonstrate what he meant, he commenced to play a recording of Beethoven's violin concerto on his very expensive sound system.
    When I asked what was wrong with the resulting sound quality, he complained that the sound 'hurt' his ears.

To my ears the reproduction was excellent.

I then asked him to play the same music for a second time, but I surreptitiously adjusted the controls to employ a high degree of treble cut.
    The resulting sound turned out to be much more to his liking.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the music or its reproduction. He simply had purchased a very expensive, high quality system, which he did not need or appreciate. A far less expensive system of lower sound quality would have suited his taste far better.

I use a pair of good quality Sennheiser headphones for listening to music on my computer.

In my opinion this is much better than what is typically used these days, unless you are located in a room with good acoustics and using a high quality hi-fi system connected to an high quality, high efficiency speaker system. In addition to high quality reproduction the model I chose also restricts the intrusion of other outside sounds and noise very effectively.

All that said, the ultimate proof of the pudding is in the listening. It is an highly subjective (personal) experience.

Taking a selection of your own music with you, go to a dealer who is prepared to let you try a range of different audio systems at your leisure in a quiet listening environment. Don't be rushed....take your time. Settle on the brand and model which suits 'your' particular ears.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

David071 (25-09-17),lsemmens (25-09-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The sky's the limit on price.

Whilst Altec Lansing, Bose, B&O etc are all highly-regarded and excellent products, it's highly likely you will find some excellent speakers you will like the sound of, at much cheaper prices.

Even Logitec and SoundBlaster (Creative Technology) have several models to choose from.

Forget about brand names and price (initially) and choose what sounds good to you.... then see if the price tag sounds equally as good.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

David071 (25-09-17),tristen (24-09-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

mine are like these

i dont need big sound nowadays, these are great for computer,music, vids ect
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

David071 (25-09-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Tristen has hit the nail right on the head. Most homes do not have the luxury of a dedicated listening room and, thus, could not derive the maximum benefit from a decent sound system. I find it rather amusing that people spend gigadollars on sound for a car which, in some ways is a good acoustic environment but has so many outside distractions you cannot truly appreciate it.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I bought a secondhand set of altec-lansing speakers today - and A GREAT IMPROVEMENT IN THE SOUND off the HP notebook and through the Television.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Good for you.

You sound as if you are going to enjoy your purchase.

Happy listening.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

David071 (25-09-17)