Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 gauge speaker wire

Thanks

My posting answers are all over the place lets see if this one goes through without being filtered as spam

bob_m_54 not sure if you saw my other posts if they got in b4 your post but i did mention the insulator and the way i was going to use it and had some luck finaly with a reply from the company giving me a safe usage rating at 12v/10amp - generaly speaker wire only has vinyl insulation at around 16 gauge even the thicker wire has it to only real power cables have better insulation because it's speaker wire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    My posting answers are all over the place lets see if this one goes through without being filtered as spam

bob_m_54 not sure if you saw my other posts if they got in b4 your post but i did mention the insulator and the way i was going to use it and had some luck finaly with a reply from the company giving me a safe usage rating at 12v/10amp - generaly speaker wire only has vinyl insulation at around 16 gauge even the thicker wire has it to only real power cables have better insulation because it's speaker wire
    Yes, sorry, you did say "soft vinyl insulation" in the post where you quoted me, I missed that. To be honest, if the wire is carrying just under 10A I'd probably go a size up to 14 guage, it's cheap enough anyway. As for crimp connectors, it will depend on the style you use.

And just FYI speaker cable can come with other insulation types besides soft PVC. Teflon or silicone aren't uncommon, even Bunnings sell silicone composite cable down to 18 gauge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Yes, sorry, you did say "soft vinyl insulation" in the post where you quoted me, I missed that. To be honest, if the wire is carrying just under 10A I'd probably go a size up to 14 guage, it's cheap enough anyway. As for crimp connectors, it will depend on the style you use.

And just FYI speaker cable can come with other insulation types besides soft PVC. Teflon or silicone aren't uncommon, even Bunnings sell silicone composite cable down to 18 gauge
    Thanks for the reply i have seen various speaker wire insulation but the general ones for home use and car use are generaly soft vinyl only the ones that need more protection like the ones from the elements outside are have other - the stuff i have now is suitable for what i'm going to use it for and looks like 10 amp rating already -
    the crimps have lead me down a path that no one knows the real ratings for them, I have had people tell me if it fits the wire it will be safe and my reply was "so if i put some foil around it that should be safe to right?" and pointed out the blade terminal crimp looked like a figure 8 and pointed out the bottle neck plus it's not as thick and tinned brass while showing him the 25 amp cable i wanted to put it on - people should say they don't know
    here is an example of what they look like

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Perhaps the document at will help to

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

sergei (08-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Keep us posted Sergei, and let us know how it goes.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12