Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 gauge speaker wire

Thanks

Default 16 gauge speaker wire

Hi every one

Does anyone know what the average maximum voltage and amperage for a 16 gauge speker wire would be
    Thanks for any help

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Lots of variables to consider here like speaker impedance, amplifier power output, length of wire between amp and speaker etc.
    For general purpose domestic use, 16 gauge should be satisfactory for runs less than 15 metres.
    If you're running 100 watts into 4 ohm speakers you'll need heavier cable to reduce losses in the cable

Thanks

Also the max voltage of a wire is a property of its insulation.
    If the wire doesn't have the max voltage written on it, I wouldn't use it for any more than say 50 volts for safety.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skepticist View Post
    Lots of variables to consider here like speaker impedance, amplifier power output, length of wire between amp and speaker etc.
    For general purpose domestic use, 16 gauge should be satisfactory for runs less than 15 metres.
    If you're running 100 watts into 4 ohm speakers you'll need heavier cable to reduce losses in the cable

Let me clarify what i want to do with it - I know i can ue it for speaker wire thats what it was made for what i want to do is use it as a low voltage power cable around 12v max but wasn't sure how much amps i could use on it before it would over heat and melt the insulation
    Thanks for the speaker info though

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Still many variables in speaker wire, in particular the type and thickness of insulation.

You haven't been specific of the type of load and installation environment.

These factors can have a big impact on rating.

I would rate 16 gauge speaker wire for 12VDC to be around 5 amps, but only short runs of up to 4 metres.

Any length beyond that and voltage will start to drop significantly under load.

However, that largely depends on the type of load and where the cabling is to be installed.

Eg: speaker wire should never be used as power cabling for automotive use, especially not in an engine bay due to the heat (and vibration).

The same goes for LV lighting in home ceilings due to high ambient temperatures.

The bottom line is, speaker wire typically has soft, thin insulation which is simply not suitable for power cabling, other than perhaps some short hookups.

Best to use the correct type of cable for the job... especially where fire risk is involved.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (27-09-17),sergei (27-09-17),tristen (26-09-17),TVguy (26-09-17),Uncle Fester (26-09-17)

Thanks

Hi everyone

I tried to do a quick reply before but it looks like it didn't show up on the post for some reason?

Thanks for all the replies - most things i also suspected but wasn't realy sure what the actual figures to work with were because it's one of the things not listed anywhere and you have to do a bit of reasearch to get an answer always kept it safe while working with speaker wire for a power cord only at 12v max and did keep it under 5 amps
    I did email the company about a month ago but only heard back this morning and it looks like for their 16# speaker wire it's safe to work at 12v 10amps so going by those figures i can work out the rest of the sums if i need to run at a higher or lower voltage
    Thanks again

Administrator
    Thanks

sergei,

What load are you connecting it to and in what environment?

Thanks

I'm hving trouble replying to posts just checking if this works

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sergei View Post
    It's obviously working.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seems I possibly assumed incorrectly that the speaker wire was to be used for speakers.
    The insulation is actually very good electrically on this cable IE its breakdown voltage is in the 10s of kVs but where it falls down is the mechanical strength - it tends to be too soft and easily punctured for any mains voltage applications.
    A modern power amplifier can have an output around 100V pk-pk so the cable is at least good enough for that as long as the cable doesn't get hot (insulation turns to jelly)

Thanks

Yes that's true Skepticist....the wire's rating is not only its electrical insulation property but also its mechanical insulation property.

Administrator
    Thanks

sergei,

All your posts are currently being moderated automatically, because you have changed your email address in your profile and not activated your account via the email sent to your new email address.

Until you do that, your posts will not automatically appear in threads.

Check any spam filters and folders you may have for the activation email.

This information has already been conveyed to you in the support ticket you raised.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

sergei (01-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Knowing what type of wire you are actually talking about might be helpful too. Can you post a link to the wire?

Thanks

Cool i can reply now - and some replies are showing
    Hi thanks for the replies i did email the company and recently they replied took about a month for them to respond and it turns out the recommendation they give to be used safely is 12v 10 amps and from those figures i can work around other needs

bob_m_54 - apart from the 16 guage speaker rating not much more info is needed to see what the wire is
    Speaker wire usualy is "ofc" copper and has soft vinyl insulation - even if it wasn't ofc the figures would be to close

Premium Member
    Thanks

1.5 m solid core double insulated cable is the best,as used in lightfittings installations.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
    1.5 m solid core double insulated cable is the best,as used in lightfittings installations.
    That depends on what exactly the OP is using it for, which despite asking him several times, he hasn't answered.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (02-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That depends on what exactly the OP is using it for, which despite asking him several times, he hasn't answered.
    i thought i did but had a look at the post that actualy showed and it didn't have it
    The op is projects and general low voltage wiring the reason i needed to know was i have mini amp that i'm installing in my mame project and the voltage is 12v and the amps is just under 10amps so the stuff i already have on a roll with suit - just an off topic question no one can answer there are crimp terminal connectors everywhere you look but i haven't seen any of them list the amps they can take and people at the shop always go by the wire size but i don't think that will always be the case - they said i can use a realy thing brass crimp for a 25 amp cable as long as it fits around it - I know if i did that the connector will heat up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Cool i can reply now - and some replies are showing
    Hi thanks for the replies i did email the company and recently they replied took about a month for them to respond and it turns out the recommendation they give to be used safely is 12v 10 amps and from those figures i can work around other needs

bob_m_54 - apart from the 16 guage speaker rating not much more info is needed to see what the wire is
    Speaker wire usualy is "ofc" copper and has soft vinyl insulation - even if it wasn't ofc the figures would be to close
    It's more about the insulation than the conductor type. There are many different types of "speaker wire" available, with different conductors and insulation types. But I suggest if the "technical" description of your wire just says "16 gauge speaker wire" it is probably just the cheap "figure 8" style cable with soft PVC insulation. So depending on the use, as has also been asked before, you're best keeping it down to 12V @ a couple of amps (maybe) and in a protected environment where it won't be subjected to UV radiation, oils greases and chemicals, fumes, heat or mechanical abrasion. Probably best to use it as speaker cable on a modest indoor system.

Thanks

i thought i did but had a look at the post that actualy showed and it didn't have it
    The op is projects and general low voltage wiring the reason i needed to know was i have mini amp that i'm installing in my mame project and the voltage is 12v and the amps is just under 10amps so the stuff i already have on a roll with suit - just an off topic question no one can answer there are crimp terminal connectors everywhere you look but i haven't seen any of them list the amps they can take and people at the shop always go by the wire size but i don't think that will always be the case - they said i can use a realy thing brass crimp for a 25 amp cable as long as it fits around it - I know if i did that the connector will heat up

Thanks

Seems like the spam filter is still filter out my posts - lets see if this gets in? just a test post

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast