Thread: Good antenna recommendation lower mountains sydney

Thanks

Default Good antenna recommendation lower mountains sydney

hi there
    looking for someone to come replace old antenna from an ex-rental we are moving into. Has an existing antenna and a foxtel dish. word from the real estate was that the antenna needs replacing and would like to get it sorted

location is glenbrook nsw

Any recommendations greatfully accepted

thank
    jay

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Glenbrook (NSW) is all humps, hollows and hills so until MTV passes on his advise I would suggest you have a look at what is around you and see what your neighbours have.
    I would totally recommend you 'Go for Broke' and replace the cable and connections along with the antenna.
    Also Check the mast out and its mountings as it will be a waste to replace everything else and then have the mast fall down later.

You say the place is an ex-rental so maybe the antenna wasnt upgraded when the Digital change over occurred and if thats the case, it may well be time to replace it and get a trouble free service from it for many years to come.

ps, worked at Glenbrook station circa 1960 when Harold Clark won the Best Gardens awards, had magnificent Stag Horns and Elk Horns (ferns) along the sides of the building.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

tx123 (02-10-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Gordon,

Jay is seeking an installer, not a recommendation of antenna (which the thread title says).

You're correct though, there are so many variables with location and mounting, seeing what immediate neighbours are using may be a guide, however, often neighbours haven't upgraded antennas, and what works best for a neighbour may not necessarily work best for the person next door.

Indeed, if the existing installation is old, replacing coax etc may also be worthwhile.

Jay is wise to have a professional installer check it out and make recommendations.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (29-09-17),tx123 (02-10-17)

Thanks

I'm in Glenbrook, & would have been glad to assist, except I've packed all my gear up this long weekend as I prepare to return further south where it's wetter & cooler.

(Not a property in King St by any chance? I'm not far from there & noticed it was sold recently)

Check under "TV & Antenna Services" in the Local Service Directory of the Blue Mountains Gazette, the free local rag delivered on Wednesdays. There's usually 4 bods advertising in it on a regular basis.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

tx123 (02-10-17)

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, yeah I'd prefer to get everything sorted out whilst I move in rather than finding out and having to wait. Based on condition of the rest of the house I'm expecting the antenna is pre digital era. Don't trust my skills up on the roof so happy to let a professional up there.

Antennaman thanks for the recommendations I'll take a look in the paper.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Sorry for my double dutch Irish comments, I KNEW what I was thinking but once it hit the keyboard it went its own merry way.
    As a word of warning re choosing an installer, I gather a well known company who does 'everything' advertises installations but one remark made was they sold the company line of products.
    While I am not suggesting what they sell isnt good enough to do the job, they may not be the known brands whose quality is indisputable, also their technical expertise may be less than others in that field.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!