Thread: why is there nothing like this

Thanks

Default why is there nothing like this

Hi
    I am seeing a lot of M3u8 streems for standard channels however i am noticing there is nothing like that for main content providers like Foxtel (likely due to licencing) why is there nothing available for providers like foxtel to stream to people over IP. I find it very annoying, what i would like is to be able to select for example Discovery, nat geo, TV1 Fox8 and Syfy and only have them streamed directly to my kodi box. surely there is a way they can lock it down so that only the people paying for it have access to it.

I can stream 4k video without interruptions no issue.

With the NBN surely they can see the positive aspect of this.

Look Here ->

Thanks

That would be an ideal situation and surely it can be done easily, they might actually keep some customers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

It conflicts with their current business practice of bundling. I dumped Foxtel some years ago and don't miss them. There are only a handful of their channels I would want, and even these are so commercial-ridden I would think twice about it. They have presumably done their homework and think it would lose them revenue overall. I can easily see households that would subscribe only for the main sports channels, for instance. A lot of families they are getting $130 plus a month from now may well drastically reduce their spend when they don't have to subscribe to 3 or more "packages" to get all the channels they want.

Who knows what direction Foxtel will take in the future. As far as I'm concerned it offers a third rate ad-ridden network of mainly repeats at a huge cost compared to its competitors. The only possible reason to subscribe is for sports most of which are available elsewhere anyway.

So far as I'm aware, no cable or satellite provider in the world has yet abandoned bundling. The closest seems to be directvnow in the US who offer online packages from about $US40 per month, still bundled but with some of its better channels. I suspect this is an experiment to see to what extent it cannibalises their cable/satellite business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    It conflicts with their current business practice of bundling. I dumped Foxtel some years ago and don't miss them. There are only a handful of their channels I would want, and even these are so commercial-ridden I would think twice about it. They have presumably done their homework and think it would lose them revenue overall. I can easily see households that would subscribe only for the main sports channels, for instance. A lot of families they are getting $130 plus a month from now may well drastically reduce their spend when they don't have to subscribe to 3 or more "packages" to get all the channels they want.

Who knows what direction Foxtel will take in the future. As far as I'm concerned it offers a third rate ad-ridden network of mainly repeats at a huge cost compared to its competitors. The only possible reason to subscribe is for sports most of which are available elsewhere anyway.

So far as I'm aware, no cable or satellite provider in the world has yet abandoned bundling. The closest seems to be directvnow in the US who offer online packages from about $US40 per month, still bundled but with some of its better channels. I suspect this is an experiment to see to what extent it cannibalises their cable/satellite business.
    What stops people over here signing up for their content?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    What stops people over here signing up for their content?
    Nothing if you want to and are prepared to take the appropriate steps to bypass the geo-restrictions. You would need a suitable VPN though I don't see why a DNS service wouldn't work just fine also. You also need to accept that that prime time over there is mid to late morning over here, so it depends what you want to watch. Also, of course, if you want Aussie Sports it's probably not the best solution. And, of course, you need to pay in US dollars, which will of course vary with the exchange rate, though the package is still much better than offered here.

See
    Last edited by DB44; 02-10-17 at 08:19 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Foxtel have very expensive infrastructure set up to supply their content by Cable & Satellite (& this is mid 1990's technology)

expensive cable runs though the city streets & satellite dishes & LNB's & cabling running though peoples houses ..... as well as a range of STB's

all of the above costs are passed on to their customers at subsidized rates .... hoping that over time they will get their money back & make a profit .....

I heard a guy say on another forum that Foxtel have got to have a certain number of Satellite & Cable customers to pass the "break even" mark, to be able to afford to build & maintain & run the infrastructure

So Foxtel are trying to steer you towards having an IQ2 or IQ3 STB & a full package Satellite or cable service (their premium services)

& Foxtel have been trying to steer customers away from getting their foxtel content any other way .... hence the Lack of anything good in the Foxtel streaming services in the past, Lack of HD for a long time, lack of number of channels & content etc...

Also Foxtel police the pirating scene more than any other because they want you to get it only from them & preferably only by their premium services either Cable or Satellite

So if anyone made streams of Foxtel individual channels available I suspect the Foxtel Piracy squad would be chasing you .....

Of course the coming of Netflx & Apple & Google & Amazon (full service soon) has changed the scene .... & Foxtel have been forced to make changes lately to compete
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 03-10-17 at 10:15 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (04-10-17),tristen (04-10-17)

Thanks

Good post Osirus. Foxtel made a huge investment and probably not a very good one. They were not alone in failing to see altogether or at least underestimating the effect of the internet on their business model. Like cable and satellite companies all over the world they are experimenting to come up with a business model that is viable in the longer term. Directv is at least conducting a worthwhile experiment. Foxtel still seems to be trying to lock-up the content. I must admit to wondering why they thought it would be a good idea to pay a fortune for exclusive Australian rights to Game of Thrones, which I understand is the most pirated show in history. I don't actually know how well it turned out, but I doubt it was a great success for them. Unless they come up with some effective strategy their business is on borrowed time. It's not going to collapse tomorrow, but it will continue to decline.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (04-10-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

They probably paid a fortune for Game of Thrones to keep HBO Go from coming to Australia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete123 View Post
    They probably paid a fortune for Game of Thrones to keep HBO Go from coming to Australia.
    May well be some truth in this. Since HBO has a lot of its own content it may well be feasible for it to come to Australia without being extorted by rights-holders.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Commercial Television in any form must be a financial nightmare trying to guess what will be the next big seller to convince the advertisers to pay out their advertising dollar on.
    There has been more than one so called extravaganza that hasnt lasted as long as the Trailers made promoting the show and no one wants to have THEIR name linked to a flop.

Its all well and good to suggest the upmpteen different ways now coming available to distribute this material but before it can happen, is it wanted, will customers pay for any need equipment, Copy Right, Security etc all must be put in place first.

Technology has moved at a break neck speed over the last few years with what seems a good idea this morning being brushed aside after Lunch as superseded !!

People in city areas forget that some of the technology is still only available in small areas despite there may be large numbers to receive it.
    Mobile phone 'Black spots' are prime examples of this problem.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!