Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian Personal Diary - 1894 -1895

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Admin - The entries are getting shorter and the dates can sometimes be a long way apart , entries 2 and 3 are a month apart.

Saturday November 3rd 94

Today I was excused from office this afternoon (I asked Mr Richardson to excuse me), so that when I went off to dinner at 12, I was free for the day. Started about 1.15 for Longford on Falty's byke and had a rather warm ride to perth. Here I called in at Mrs Heaps and had something to eat and drink and a good wash starting for Longford again at 3.20 feeling quite fresh. Saw E and Prissy at WH(?) and went for a short walk. Came back to Perth for tea and returned to Longford afterward. Left for home via Perth shortly after 9.30 and reached St Leonards at 11.15. It was nice and moonlight as I rode home. I, with E, went and had a look over the Longford Church in the afternoon and thought it very nice. It was one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever had.

November 7th 94 - Wednesday

Mr Wilkinson asked me this evening to be secretary for mission in the Parish of St Leonards.

Friday 7th December 94

Came in by 6.20 train tonight for music lesson. Spent from 8 till about 9.30 with E and then walked home via Young Town. Found out when too late the train usually leaving at 8.30 was detained till 10 pm. Bec is with us for a few more days at St Leonards.

3 pages of information about books he read and figures for Church monies

Monday December 17th 94

Went home by 5 and spent evening singing with Bec

Tuesday December 18th 94

Went for a walk round G Lane with B and got home about 9.50 or 10 oc. My last walk alone with her.

Wednesday December 19th 94

Misses Hall and Gee called on us tonight - Mother ill in bed ! They left for White Hills again about 11.30. It was after 3am before I got to sleep.

Thursday December 20th 94

Bec returned to Melbourne today and Ern accompanied her ! I was up at 6.20 this morning but did not come to work till 10 oc. Falty has gone down to meet them coming in by express.

Friday December 21st 94

Bec and Auntie Jessie arrived from Melbourne Wednesday Oct 31st, so Bec has had nearly 2 months holiday in Tasmania. It was the following Saturday Nov 3rd that I rode to Longford to see E. They left for Deloraine on November 8th. Falty and I spent the evening reading last night.

Sunday 23rd Dec 94

Parker arrived at St Leonards from Epping by mail train this morning. Spent morning and had dinner with us at home. During morning we went down and had a long (I think he meant look - Admin) at the new alter cloth and linen at Mr Wilkinsons. After dinner we both rode in to town. In evening Mrs W, Parker and I went to St Johns. Started for home on byke about 9.30.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (22-11-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I thought he was losing his job in December?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I thought he was losing his job in December?
    Obviously something has happened and he hasn't mentioned it.

He must have sorted something out with his conversation with "Mr McD".

I think Dec 18 he was thinking about banging his cousin after that previous night of singing....my last walk alone with her.

Administrator
    Thanks

Maybe Ted Weatherhead leaving almost straightaway worked in his favour ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Monday 24th December 94

New alter cloth fixed up in church today ready for tomorrows service (Xmas Day). On duty morning and evening today. Parker started early this morning for Epping on his byke.

Tuesday 25th December 94

Off duty all day - Went to morning service at St Leonards. Alter cloth presented to church in memory of Mr Weatherhead used for the first time at this service. In afternoon mother and Mr Ford went to Perth and I came in to town and spent afternoon and evening at Mrs W's. In evening, Laeta, Win and I walked over to ask Mary Cook to come to St Leonards with us tomorrow. Stayed in all night.

Wednesday 26th December 94 Boxing Day

Parker came up from Epping again this morning by the mail train unexpectedly. He came to help in railway work at Launceston on account of extra trains for the day.Laeta, Win, Mary Cook and I went out by 10.20 train and returned to town by excursion leaving St Leonards at 6.24 in evening. Got off duty about 10.20 pm and stayed in all night.

Thursday December 27th 94

Parker returned to Epping by 8.30 train this morning. He leaves there again for Latrobe where he stays till the new year when he will return to Epping again.

Monday December 31st 94

Was transferred from operating to mechanical staff in office.

Tuesday Jan 1st 95 (New Years Day)

Mother and Mr Ford left by 7.30 train for Ross. I went in by 9.30 train and went up to see E. We both left to catch 3.15 train for St Leonards but found when we reached St Johns Church that we were too late. Walked out and arrived home at 5.10. Returned by excursion train leaving St Leonards at 6.15. I returned home again by 8.30 train. Ted looked after the office for mother today.

Saturday January 5th 95

Went home by 12.40 train and returned to town again by 2.40 train. Spent afternoon and evening with E. Left for 8.30 train shortly after 8. R M came in while I was there for a few minutes about tea time.

Sunday January 6th 95

Walked in to town this afternoon and met E at corner of Elizabeth and Welman sts about 3.55. Ted and I walked home after church.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (28-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Was transferred from operating to mechanical staff in office

Thats gotta be a promotion you would think.

I reckon he stuffed his New Years Day romance....no Mother, no Mr Ford, he and E plan on getting the 3.15 to St Leonards and miss it
    They then have to walk there and arrive exhausted at 6.15 and then have to catch the 6.30 back.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am going to have to get a map of the general area to help sort out where they rode a 'Byke' or traveled in a Train as they seem to run as frequently as a bus or Tram service does in a Town.

I dont wish to make any suggestions anything improper may have occurred during certain periods of time but just hark back to to your own courting days and remember what could be achieved in very short spaces of time.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I am going to have to get a map of the general area to help sort out where they rode a 'Byke' or traveled in a Train as they seem to run as frequently as a bus or Tram service does in a Town.

I dont wish to make any suggestions anything improper may have occurred during certain periods of time but just hark back to to your own courting days and remember what could be achieved in very short spaces of time.
    Just click on the sentence I just typed. The outlined area is St Leonards.

You should be able to zoom in and out of you have a wheel on the top of your mouse, or just use the + and - buttons in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

That St Leonards area is pretty big, and I haven't been able to find out if the post office is still at the same place. From a Street View search, the post office is small agency and the building certainly looks old enough. Its at 324 St Leonards Rd, St Leonards, but I think its too close to Launceston distance wise (based on what we have read). Others may disagree, I only roughly know the area.

gordon_s1942 (05-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Friday January 11th 95

Lent J Leeming the book "artemus ward"

Tuesday January 22nd 95

Mother, Emily and I went to the Cataract Gorge in evening to hear the St Kilda Choir. It was nicely illuminated. Reached Mrs W's about 11.30 and stayed in all night.

Saturday January 26th 95

Off duty all day - Came to town by express train and went up to see E. Took her out to St Leonards by 5 oc train (we missed the 3.15) and returned to town again by an excursion arriving at launceston at 8.50. Missed 10.30 train for home and ran most of the way to St Leonards arriving there about 11.20

Monday January 28th 95

Practically off duty at 2.30 this afternoon, although I had to be within call in case of any telephone faults. Went up to R's and spent the afternoon with E. Went home by 5.35 train and rode in again later on reaching E's about 8.30. Mrs and Miss W was there till about 9.45. I stayed till near 11 oc and then rode home.

Wednesday January 30th 95

Mr R and family returns from Hobart today. In evening, Mr Ford and I attended meeting at institute for the election of church wardens and a representative in synod of St Leonard parish.

Administrator
    Thanks

Definitely a promotion as per my previous comment in post 186 and his Jan 28th entry. He has gone from an operator to a mechanical technician, fixing faults.

A sliding doors moment......he ends up getting the flick after receiving notice and has to leave town and look for work and never marries Emily

Administrator
    Thanks

I will get back to this in this next day or 2. In the meantime, something of interest.

My great great grandfather William Thompson 1878 - 1909, as you can see by the dates, died young (aged 31). He left a wife and 6 young children, one who was born just a month before he died. I dont know what he died of, but I suspect it was cancer or similar as he died in hospital after a "long and trying illness". The child that was a month old was adopted out to my great great grandmother's sister - the childs name was Phyllis. Her brother (my great grandfather) named his first child (my grandmother) Phyllis after his sister.

Anyway, being widowed in 1909 In Tasmania with 6 young children was about as bad as it got. But the local community rallied around my great great grandmother and held a series of benefit concerts in the Greater Launceston district to aid her. Locals who could sing, dance or do anything appeared free of charge, and all the entrance fees went to the family.

I happened to glance through some old newspaper clips the other day, and what do you know ? The Weatherhead's were involved From the article, it appears to be Charles Weatherhead, who is Parker's brother and would have been aged 30 at the time of the concert. Here is his obituary....he was a choir singer which matches what we see in both articles I have uploaded here.

What a nice personal involvement to find after this long story........that the Weatherheads personally assisted my family at a time of crisis. See the article about one of the concerts below that mentioned his name, presumably he was in St Georges Choir at the time.

A big thank you to the Weatherhead family. The funds raised allowed my great grandmother to head for the mainland (Victoria, South Melbourne) with 5 children, including her eldest child, my great grandfather Frank Thompson.

Frank Thompson got married and had 3 children, my grandmother Phyllis the eldest. When Frank was 41 (and my grandmother 20 and still living at home), he was killed in a triple shooting homicide while at work in Little Lonsdale St Melbourne.

lsemmens (05-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

And another of the benefit concerts was held in the Mechanics Institute which our young bloke likes to frequent.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Photograph - Primitive Methodist Church - 48 Frederick Street - Launceston, 1890's. From 1943 Launceston City Mission.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (05-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Photograph - Primitive Methodist Church - 48 Frederick Street - Launceston, 1890's. From 1943 Launceston City Mission.

Its still looking in pretty good shape

Geez its getting tempting to move to Tasmania Cooler weather, less people, my missus even wants to move there. My problem is they wont accept 2 of my 5 Parrots under quarantine laws, otherwise I would probably have moved by now.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Tuesday January 22nd 95

Mother, Emily and I went to the Cataract Gorge in evening to hear the St Kilda Choir. It was nicely illuminated. Reached Mrs W's about 11.30 and stayed in all night.

Duck reach power station was commissioned in 1895, I wonder if the concert had anything to do with that ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Duck reach power station was commissioned in 1895, I wonder if the concert had anything to do with that ?
    In the last page of the diary, mother and Mr Ford go there for a picnic, so not far off

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Frank Thompson got married and had 3 children, my grandmother Phyllis the eldest. When Frank was 41 (and my grandmother 20 and still living at home), he was killed in a triple shooting homicide while at work in Little Lonsdale St Melbourne.
    Now here is a hell of an intriguing history branch to follow.............was he an innocent victim or a participant, was it robbery or the settlement of a dispute................
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Now here is a hell of an intriguing history branch to follow.............was he an innocent victim or a participant, was it robbery or the settlement of a dispute................
    Already done Gordon, I wrote almost a book on the event including police/medical reports/news reports including crime scene photos. My great grandfather was an innocent party. This event destroyed my grandmothers family, which is why I never knew any of my fathers family history until I started doing some digging after my grandfather died. My father and his sister grew up with no extended family at all.....no cousins, aunts, uncles, grand parents - nothing.

gordon_s1942 (06-12-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Tuesday February 5th 95

Wrote to JJ McD thanking him for my increased salary last night. Emily leaves for her holiday in Hobart this morning by 10.25 train in company with Miss Lithgow and Miss Ferrall.

Wednesday Evening February 6th 95

Wrote to Parker at Latrobe.

Tuesday February 19th 95

Uncle Fred and May returned to Ross today. They have been staying with us a week today. Auntie Jessie came down from Deloraine on Saturday and returned there yesterday afternoon (Monday)

Monday 25th February 95

E returned from Hobart by express on Saturday. Met her for first time since her return at 4.45 tonight. Stayed in town to tea and music lesson at Mrs W's.

Wednesday February 27th 95

Am reading a biographical sketch of Tennyson's life by Jennings and like it very much. It is Winnie Weatherhead's birthday today. Wrote to Auntie Harriet last Sunday afternoon (Admin : Harriet Coburg Propsting b. 1847 Knightsbridge, Middlesex, England - d 1919, Hawthorn, Victoria). Received short note from Parker today who is relieving at Evandale Junction at present.

Thursday February 28th 95

Launceston Regatta Day. Ted came up from Low Head yesterday. Saw him for a few minutes this morning. Got off duty for day at about 10.30am and went out by 12.40 train. Was very surprised to meet Gertie and ER on St Leonards station. They were out with Miss Ferralls picnic party. They came up and had dinner at home. and returned to picnic about 3 oc. Falty and I had a game of cricket together till about 5 oc. Mother and I started for town about 6.10. Bon and E picked her up at the station in the cart and she drove in to town. Gertie came in the train with me. After seeing her home, I went and spent rest of evening with mother at Mrs W's. We both went home by 10 oc train. Mother enjoyed the outing. E fell down while playing rounders at the picnic and hurt her side on a stone.

Administrator
    Thanks

Our man George mentioned a while ago when he got notice that he had a chat with JJ McDonald who I think was one of the bosses. It looks like he saved his job and got a promotion and a pay rise to boot. Good stuff George

• Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast