Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Tasmanian Personal Diary - 1894 -1895

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I see it mentioned 'E' (George too) seems to often ring either from or IN the exchange which makes me wonder are these 'Freebies' as in those days the exchanges were manual and the operator would come across the line and asking if you wished to remain connected. Now whether this incurred an extra cost like making a Long Distance call did or not I dont know.

Interesting to know from where you could make a Local Call from back then and how did you pay for it? ( not from a Home Telephone) I know until around the 60's, you had to go to a specific Post Office to make Long Distance calls until STD was introduced and then they fitted those multiple coin box's in the street phones.
    With a manual public phone box, you asked the operator for the number, put your coins on the slot and when the call was connected, you pressed the button and the Coins rolled down into the box.
    That was in 1950, what did they have in 1895~1905?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-11-17 at 12:29 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Any news on falty ?

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
    My suspicion is that Falty is the other brother mentioned in the obituary for Ern

So it would be A J Braithwaite.

From what I can find, George and Ern are the only 2 children born in Victoria.

I will have to see what I can dig up

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I see it mentioned 'E' (George too) seems to often ring either from or IN the exchange which makes me wonder are these 'Freebies' as in those days the exchanges were manual and the operator would come across the line and asking if you wished to remain connected. Now whether this incurred an extra cost like making a Long Distance call did or not I dont know.

Interesting to know from where you could make a Local Call from back then and how did you pay for it? ( not from a Home Telephone) I know until around the 60's, you had to go to a specific Post Office to make Long Distance calls until STD was introduced and then they fitted those multiple coin box's in the street phones.
    With a manual public phone box, you asked the operator for the number, put your coins on the slot and when the call was connected, you pressed the button and the Coins rolled down into the box.
    That was in 1950, what did they have in 1895~1905?
    Some good questions Gordon, I also had the same thought about the calls he and E were making from the exchange. I dont reckon they were paying for them.

It is also interesting to note that George made calls from E's house home to Mother a few times as well.

Administrator
    Thanks

It would seem that John Braithwaite left Clara pregnant, and she returned to Tasmania with George and Ern, and then gave birth to Arthur James Braithwaite on the 7th April 1878. I can only presume this is Falty.
    He married at age 18 in Launceston then moved to New Zealand sometime after 1900 (date of last born child). You can only guess that as his father headed to New Zealand, he must have had some contact with him.

I have no idea how Falty came to be a nickname, I dont think it can be anyone else as Clara only had 3 children and they were all boys.

He would have been about 15 - 16 at the time of this diary, so it seems to fit in.

I will post another week up now..................

Administrator
    Thanks

Monday August 27th 94

Changed Ted today and walked in to work before 8.30 this morning. Road still very sloppy. At 1 oc had my lunch in the exchange with Ted and started to see Parker about 1.25. Took him up some "scraps" (papers). Returned to work at 2 oc. Mrs Evan's drove L and WW (Admin - possibly Winnie Weatherhead) and Olaf Kelly out to St Leonards in her trap this afternoon. H Peters relived me from work at 3 oc and I went home by 3.15 train. Found L and Win at home. Was introduced to Mrs Evans during afternoon. They all left for home again about 4.50. I came to town by 6.30 train as I was invited to an open night given by the ladies of gymnasium class at the Banqueting room of Albert Hall. Met E and Gertie at corner of Balfour and Wellington st. Gertie left E and I at corner of Balfour and Chas sts and went on down to Albert Hall with some other girl and E waited for me while I went in to Mrs W's to make arrangements for staying in all night. ted joined us on our way down, at office and we all arrived at hall about 7.50. The ladies went through the different drills and exercises till about 9.45. Both E and G took part and looked very nice. There was about 20 took part all in their costume. Shortly before 10 oc the dancing commenced. About 101.15 E, Gertie, Will Robinson, Prissy Lane, Bob and I started for home. ( I left Ted there until I returned again) Saw E home and then went back to Albert Hall. Met Ted at corner of Tamar and Cameron sts on my way down. We both went in and looked on for a few minutes but did not dance. Reached Mrs W's about 12 oc or a little before. I slept with ted and we both got to bed about 12.15

Tuesday August 28th 94

Got up about 7.15am. Came on duty at 8.30. At 4.50 met E in George St. Left her at corner of Balfour and Well st about 5.40. Had tea at Mrs W's and after that a music lesson. After that played with Parker, Laeta and Win till 8 0c when I left to catch 8.30 train. Met E just outside and walked with her down St John and Fredk St as far as Primitive Methodist Church. I left here there at what I thought between quarter and 20 past 8 and started to catch train, but found it was already 8.30 when I reached St John and Eliz st ! I was surprised and sorry to have missed it. Walked home and reached there about 10 oc Falty came out Elphin rd as far as Lyttleton st from the office with me having a telegram to deliver that way. E went to a birthday party at Mrs Kidds tonight - it was Rob Kidds birthday. Mrs Kidd apologised to E during the evening for not having inviting me.

Wednesday August 29th 94

Was on duty at 12 oc today. Came in by 7.30am train and worked for H peters from 8.30 till 11.30. Spoke to E on telephone before 8.30 this morning. On from 12 till 5.30 and from 6 till 9. Was in reading room of Mechanics Institute between 5.30 and 6 tonight. Walked home after 9 oc and arrived there about 10.20. Mother and Maggie Taylor came to town by 11.30 train today. Mother went to see the Doctor and also called at Mrs W's to see Parker.

Thursday August 30th 94

Came in by 7.30 train this morning and on duty at 8.30. Spoke to E on telephone again this morning before 8.30. Went up to see Parker for a few minutes in dinner hour. He has received a letter from Mr Whittle, the S M at Epping who thinks he might be retrenched if he does not return to work at once. As it is impossible for him to return for at least another fortnight it has worried him a good lot. Went home by 5 oc train, had tea, and returned again by 6.30 train. Reached Mrs W's about 7. Wrote a letter to Mr Whittle (explaining Parkers condition and regret at not being able to return to work at present) before leaving again about 8.10 to catch 8.30 train (posted the letter on mail (8.30) train). Ern met me on St Leonards station and walked up with me. Practiced for half an hour on piano before going to bed. Mr Cook arrived at Mrs W's about 7.40 this evening - he was there when I left.

Friday August 31st 94

Did not get up till after 9 this morning. Practiced on piano for half an hour before 10.30. came in by 11.30 train and on duty at 12 oc. At 5.30 went up to Mrs W's to see Parker and returned to work at 6.5. Walked home after 9 and reached there about 10.15.

Saturday September 1st 94

Came in by 7.30 train. Spoke to E on telephone before 8.30 (I have not seen her now since last Tuesday night and did not speak to her at all yesterday). Was excused this afternoon so I was off duty from 1 oc. At 1.45 went up to Mrs W's. Played chess with Laurie till about 3.30. The doctor came to see him then and I went down to Mrs R's to see E. Found Mr Nad Mrs R were out. Stayed for about an hour or a little more and then returned to Parker. Mr and Mrs R had not returned when I left. Had tea with Parker and after that a music lesson. Played chess again until near 8 and then left to catch 8.30 train. Ern came out by 8.30 train too. E and Gertie went to Gymnasium tonight and were met afterwards by Will Robinson. I did not see Gertie this afternoon when I was at her place. Only Charlie and the baby with Jessie were left at home with E.

Sunday September 2nd 94

Rode in to work on byke this morning and arrived at office at 7.55. Got in to office and was speaking to E on telephone till about 8.20. Rode straight home after 9.30 and reached there about 10.15. Got washed and dressed before dinner but did not go to morning service. After dinner had class with Falty and Ern - the first we have had for a long time now. After that I was reading poetry to Falty till close on 5 oc. Mother and Mr Ford went out for a short walk. At 5 went up for a ride on byke as far as stone wall on town road and returned in time for tea. After tea started a letter to Clara Webb. Went to church. Mr Wilkinson preached. Wrote a little more when I returned from church made up mails and got to bed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (09-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

I will get another weeks entries up over the week end.

Its funny how Gordon mentioned all the calls George has been making from the exchange, in the week just gone he did it 4 times. Its pretty obvious he isnt paying.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

That was one of the benefits of working for the company. All of my calls from work (when I was with Telecom) were not charged, either.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    That was one of the benefits of working for the company. All of my calls from work (when I was with Telecom) were not charged, either.
    My father in law was a Telecom technician. He gave us a personal over ride code that was dialled before making STD calls Everyone used to say "this must be costing you a fortune ringing before 7 PM"

Administrator
    Thanks

Monday September 3rd 94

Walked in to work this morning and came on duty at 8.30. Did not leave office between 1 oc and quarter to 2 but finished writing and posted letter to Clara Webb. Off duty for day at 4.50. Went up to Mrs W's, calling in at Mrs R's on my way up. Saw and spoke to E for 5 or 10 minutes. I went to see if she had finished the book "Pillars of the house" I lent but she had not so I did not get it. Had tea at Mrs W's and stayed in all night sleeping with Ted. It was raining very hard a good part of the evening. Parkers leg gave him a great deal of pain this eveing. Was playing chess with him part of evening. Got to bed a little before 11 oc. Mrs W slept in Parker's room so that she could attend to anything he should want - I'm afraid she did not get much sleep.

Tuesday September 4th 94

Went out to St Leonards by 8.30 am train. Practiced on piano for half an hour. Returned to town by 11.30 train. Renewed family ticket at library and paid Barclay 15/ off Falty's byke before going on duty at 12 oc. Met E near the Building Society Office in Cameron St about 5.40 (not by arrangement !) and walked up George and down Frederick St with her. Left her a few minutes before 6 oc at corner of St John and Canning St's. Returned to work at 6.5. Walked home after 9. At least I got a ride from the old toll gate in Sam Hunts cart. He and Mrs H were driving home and I was very glad to get the lift as the roads were very wet and sloppy after the rain. Reached home about 10 oc. Started reading today. We were paid yesterday. All the staff including Ted who were off this evening had to put in 2 or 3 hours over at the Real estates offices on the demand books etc. The other staff had to do the same last night but I escaped then !

Wednesday September 5th 94

Came in by 7.30 train and on duty at 8.30. Spoke to E for a few minutes on telephone before 8.30. At 4.50 went up to Mrs W's. I took one of the demand books up with me and worked at it in parker's bedroom before tea. Had tea with him and afterwards a music lesson. Mrs W was playing chess with P for a little time after tea. Went home by 8.30 train.

Thursday September 6th 94

Got up about 7 oc and work away on demands book till about 8.30. ted rang me up on telephone about 8.45 and told me we had both received notice to leave at the end of the current year ! It was rather a surprise to me ! Came in by 9.30 train and went straight up to Mrs W's. Finished the demand book in P's room and then made the news of our dismissal known to him and Mrs W. She was glad we have got until the end of the year and so am I. came on duty at 12. At 5.30 paid Bourkes 1 pound and spent the rest of the time till 6 in Mechanics Institute. Mr Bretts was OC tonight on account of Charlie Leeming been ill and he let me away in time to catch the 8.30 train.I asked him to do this. Ern met me near the St Leonards railway station - got to bed somewhere about 11 oc.

Friday September 7th 94

Came in by 7.30 am train and on duty at 8.30. Spoke to E for a minute or so on telephone before 8.30. During the morning had a talk to Mr Allison in his office as to the best thing to do now that I have notice to leave at end of this year. I am to speak to him again later on. At 1 oc rode down to police station to see Mr C but as he was not there I came back and paid Brandwood 15/ on acct of Parker. met Mr Coulter at his office when I returned about 1.25 and had a talk to him till about 1.50. Came on duty again at 1.55. At 4.55 went round to taits and had a shave . From there to St Johns parsonage to see Mrs Kelly to show her a letter mother received from Augusta the other day. Had a chat to her and Mr Parnell and finally arrived at Mrs W's about 6 oc. Had tea with Parker and after that played chess with him first and Win after till about 8.10 when I left to catch 8.30 train. Ern met me on my way up from the station near the big bridge. Spoke to E on telephone from home just after I reached there for a few minutes. It was late before I got to sleep.

Saturday September 8th 94

Did nothing in particular this morning before leaving home for town. Came in by 11.30 train. Met E accidently in Brisbane St about 11.45. She went in to National Bank and we then walked along Brisbane st down George St. I left her at corner of Cimitiere and St John St about 12. Also saw Mr Ford in Brisbane St. Came on duty at 12.5. Spent from 5.30 till 6 in Mechanics this evening. Ted went off duty at 5 oc and says he is not going to return to office to work again ! It has been a very wet day and is still raining at 7.50 as I write this. Mr Brett was OC this evening and let me away in time to catch 8.30 train. It was a very rough and rainy night.

Sunday September 9th 94

Came in by 7.30 train.Mr J J McDonald came through from Hobart by this train also. Saw him on Launceston platform and made arrangements to meet him at the office between 10 and 11 tomorrow and ask his advice about my notice. Spoke to E on telephone before 8.30. After 9.20 went up to Mrs W's and after having a little of something to eat and drink went to 10 oc Holy Communion service at St Johns by myself. After that returned to Mrs W's. Neither Ted nor I went to morning service at 11 oc. Mrs W stayed at home too. Stayed in to dinner. About 3.40 went out and met E at corner of Charles and Frederick St as she came from Sunday School. We walked up Charles St and met Ted at corner of Charles and Balfour sts. Then we all went up for a walk past hospital and along another street getting on to road near the reservoir, then back past scotch burial ground and down Balfour St in to Well st. We left E at her door about 4.55. Stayed in to tea. Ted and I started to go to St Johns Church in evening but as it was late Ted would not go in so we turned back after getting as far as St Johns and Frederick Sts corner and walked out to St Leonards via Young Town reaching home about 8.45. Mrs W went to the mission house tonight. Ted had a talk to mother and Mr Ford on the retrenchment and stayed at St Leonard's all night. Parker is still in bed with his leg and did not seem to like to let us leave him this afternoon, ele we might have walked out during the afternoon.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (14-11-17),shred (13-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Ted is Mrs W's son and Parker's brother.

Edward Compton Weatherhead
    1876–1959

BIRTH APR 1876 • Scarborough, Yorkshire North Riding
    DEATH 05 OCT 1959 • Burnie, Tasmania, Australia

He was....wait for it.......a postmaster.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Had tea at Mrs W's and stayed in all night sleeping with Ted.
    In this day and age, that could mean something quite different!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    In this day and age, that could mean something quite different!
    Yes, no lbgt / gay agenda back then, no Greenies either....
    In fact, faggotry in Tasmania was illegal until recently.....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Thanks

Thursday September 6th 94

Got up about 7 oc and work away on demands book till about 8.30. ted rang me up on telephone about 8.45 and told me we had both received notice to leave at the end of the current year !
    Along further is the comment of another being told of their 'Dismissal'.

Any details as to what this is about as it doesnt jibe with the long term History of George advancing to become a Superintendent and retiring after 50 years.
    I was wondering if this is the era when there was a Depression, Banks closed, Shearers went on strike and 'Banjo' Patterson wrote Waltzing Matilda and George, along with others was being prewarned of the intention to shed staff due to the economical situation at the time?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-11-17 at 04:15 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Three and a half months notice.....

Administrator
    Thanks

It may have been temporary without a given end date.

Ted is threatening to stomp off, but he also becomes a post master.

Premium Member

Thanks

Unless someone else has more knowledge of those Times or 'Our George' explains more in his Diaries, I wonder did the Post and Telegraphs issue these notices firstly to 'Last On', Singles etc in the event the economic situation worsening.
    During the 1930's Depression, one NSW Railwayman told me it was 'Last on, First Off, Junior staff, Single men then those married did one week on, one week off, this of course depended on what you did was important to keep the place running. Unskilled, general duties were the first to go.

Administrator
    Thanks

I'll try and get another week up tomorrow, I have over typed already today.

The amount of bigger entries will soon drop off as we are heading to the end. As previously mentioned, sometimes he doesn't post for almost 2 weeks.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok, better late than never as they say.

Monday September 10th 94

Ted left for town early (he having decided to continue at the office for today) and being on at 8.30am. Mother and I went in by 9.30 train - mother to see Dr Thompson as she is not very well and I to see Mr J J Mc D about this retrenchment. He did not turn up at office as he promised, so I borrowed Falty's byke and rode up to Mrs W's and arriving there about 10.45 I suppose. Mother was there when I arrived. Left there again about 11.35 and rode to police office but found Mr C, whom I wished to see engaged on a case so I could not see him. Went to office and arranged with Mr Brett (OC) that I should not come on till 12.30 (instead of 12). Rode round to P Office again and waited till about 12.30 when I saw and spoke to Mr C. Went on duty at office at 1oc. Ted left office at 1 oc for good, having decided to retire at once. At 5 oc went up to Mrs W's again and returned to office at 5.55. Miss Hesketh returned to work today after an illness of about 6 weeks or over. Sent a note to Mr Allison this afternoon saying I wished to take my 3 week leave of absence from tomorrow (Tues 11 Sept 94). Mr Brett let me away in time to catch 8.30 train.

Tuesday September 11th 94

Got measured for an new suit today.Mr Irvine manger of WSSCO(?) has promised me a saloon ticket at steerage rates to Melbourne. Went up to Mrs R's for few minutes this morning. Saw E at her door about 5.30 again. Spent evening at Mrs W's playing whiulst with P, L and Win. E called for me about 8.10 as I was leaving to catch 8.30 train. Walked down Charles as far as Frederick St with her and came home by 8.30 train. Mrs W had a very bad headache this evening.

Sunday October 14th 94

Mother, Mr F, Parker and Ted Weatherhead, Ern and myself went to evening service at St Leonards. The church was crowded. This bishop confirmed about 5 boys and 1 man and 4 girls including Jack Hall and Mr Gerrard. It was a very impressive service and I think most there could not but appreciate it. Wrote to Auntie Jessie for mother before going to bed saying she would be glad to see her and Bec over when they come. Started class again with Falty and Ern this afternoon

shred (19-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

We are getting down to very sporadic entries from now on. Good to see on that last entry he confirms Parker and Ted as Weatherheads

lsemmens (19-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks

Friday October 19th 94

Mrs Evans drove Parker home from St Leonards today. He has been staying with us since the Monday before last and seems to have enjoyed himself. E went down the river to Rosevears today with the Christian Endeavourers in the Centennial and returned to wharf about 6.45 pm.

Saturday October 27th 94

Ted left for low head today to relieve Mr Long the operator there for a fortnight. I went home by 5 and returned on 6.30 train and spent the eveing with Parker staying in all night.

Monday October 29th 94

Parker left for Epping on 8.30 am train, after his long illness.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-11-17),shred (19-11-17)

• Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast