Thread: Using R12 in place of R134

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Default Using R12 in place of R134

A question for an auto refrigeration tech or similar.

I have a car which is currently charged with R134 and needs gas.
    I know you cannot mix the two types so my plan is to evacuate the system so its 100% clear of R134 and drop in R12.

As the system is running R134 the oil in the system is synthetic which works with R12 and R134.
    I've heard the system will run a lot better on R12 as its more efficient than R134.

I did something similar with my refrigerator. it's compressor failed and I replace the compressor which was pre filled with synthetic oil and the filter dryer vacuumed it out and dropped in R12 and it runs very well and has done for years now.
    I have two small recharge cans of R134 so I could just drop in more R134 into the car system.

I still have a large bottle of R12 from before it was banned and you needed a license to buy it. I have real R12 not R12A which is hydrocarbon based. PS I am not interested in selling the R12 sorry.
    Last edited by SystemRat; 19-10-17 at 05:50 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You seem to be asking for approval to do something you have good knowledge of and the ability to do but you know is illegal.
    So I dont think its right for you to ask anyone to do so.
    I believe Ammonia is one of the best gas's to be used for refrigeration but because of its high pollution level and that it can cause injury if the system is damaged and the gas released uncontrollably, its no longer used today.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Thanks I was not looking for approval I was looking for advice on compatibility. i am not sure but re the legality's I bought the gas while it was legal and you did not need a license to obtain it.
    I am not selling it nor do I intended to vent it to the atmosphere.
    I am leaning towards using the R134 at present but I need to see if there is a sight glass on the system or if it needs a specific charge or gauge reading.
    Topping it up seems an easier option.
    It's odd that in the US you can walk in and buy recharge kits for R134 or the hydrocarbon based gas off the shelf but here in Oz you need a refrigeration license and course to buy the same.

Thanks

Anything goes in us, in oz we have ozone hole over Antarctic. My xperience mix gases, works just as well or better.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Top it up with hychill or LPG, no licence required.....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Mission accomplished.
    I choose the easy way and used an R134a refill can and it was just enough to clear the sight glass :-)
    Nice cool car ahead of the predicted hot weather here in the peoples republic of Victoria.

Had did a quick check of the hoses and fittings which look clear of leaks. Not sure if my old R12 / R22 leak detector works on R134 I was more interested in getting the can content into the system than risking venting it other than a line purge.
    Last edited by SystemRat; 24-10-17 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

does anybody actually bother recovering aircon gases any more ? i saw wrecking yards just cut the hoses from dead cars and let it vent.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

They should recover it. It's an offence to vent it to the atmosphere, and even an offence to have in your possesion R-12 without a license.
    Companies or persons who acquire, possess or dispose of these substances are required to hold a Refrigerant Trading Authorisation.

Thanks

Did you check the head pressure ? a car fitted with R134a is not like r12 you dont fill it until the bubbles go in the sight glass you fill by weight i would seriously put a set of gauges on it and check the head pressure is not to high

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Thanks for that. I have a set of gauges and the newer style port adapters and will give it a try.
    I've also got a drop charger but i had trouble with that leaking in the past so that could need some work.
    Last edited by SystemRat; 11-11-17 at 03:54 PM.