Thread: The Microwave oven an "Antique"?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default The Microwave oven an "Antique"?

Again your (plural) thoughts . . .

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmangle For This Useful Post:

DB44 (22-10-17),Tiny (23-10-17),tristen (22-10-17)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

An interesting concept. I wonder how they manage to target each food item correctly when you turn it on. Does the device have a scanner that says, "that's fish, oh, and there's an egg over there, looks like cake for dessert....."
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

cmangle (22-10-17)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    An interesting concept. I wonder how they manage to target each food item correctly when you turn it on. Does the device have a scanner that says, "that's fish, oh, and there's an egg over there, looks like cake for dessert....."
    The device measures how much energy is absorbed and this gives the transmitter feedback to regulate and direct the energy correctly. Unlike a magnetron it will radiate from 4 different sides or corners or more, which can be independantly controlled.
    I think it would still be wise to use infrared temperature sensing and humidity measurement as well. I always knew my food was correctly reheated when I saw condensation inside my Microwave window.

Then we will have bar codes for the device to read on the product, once this becomes more mainstrean and meals are specifically produced for this.

...and then we will have 'Cloud Cooking' once it gets connected to the Internet, LOL.

A bit of a misnomer though. The standard Microwave Oven is a RF Oven too.
    They should call it a Solid State RF (or Microwave) Oven, as this is 'only' replacing a tube finally with transistors but the frequency will still be probably in the microwave range just a bit lower, so it will not interfere with Wifi.

Wonder why Miele took so long with this? Those Germans are getting slack
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-10-17 at 04:02 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I think much of the cooking schedules are done by the TIME it takes to cook a set amount of a certain material like Fish, Chicken and Red meats in known portions and if the stove can detect radiated heat and moisture as well to complete the cooking process.
    I base this idea on the instructions to either cook while frozen or defrost before doing so as that must play a part in the cooking.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I think much of the cooking schedules are done by the TIME it takes to cook a set amount of a certain material
    Trust me there is a lot more to it than just a set time.
    Up until now time was the only parameter we could adjust on a microwave including the power 'regulation' using a set time on/off period.
    That is way too inacurate to get reliable results, unless just defrosting and heating (not cooking) a prepared meal with the time suggestion on the box but still very vague because microwave power AND efficiency (they degrade over the years) varies largely.
    As said the only way I knew a meal was done was when the window got foggy.
    So measuring humidity is already a much better parameter than time.

These new ovens will probably have a weight sensor. Two things happen here. Once it starts to evaporate moisture it gets lighter and of course if the food is heavy the processor will know it needs more power and time to heat it. So the cooking procedure depends on measured WEIGHT, while it detects how much energy it absorbs and how fast the surface temperature rises.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned
    Thanks

How come a Microwave oven is antique?! Look, an 18 year old computer and an 18 year old microwave oven is not the same thing. Today's computer is way better than a computer from 18 years ago, but an 18 year old microwave oven do the same thing as a new one. So, a computer might be called an Antique but certainly not a microwave oven.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

if you have a microwave 18 years old it is an amana radar range?

My microwave lasts two maybe three years . . slamming the door is not a good thong!

Thanks

A magnetron lasts roughly 500 hours.
    Assuming 10 minutes average use a day that is about 8 years.
    So if you have an 18 y/o Microwave that still works, it could be called slightly 'antique'.
    If you have something from the 1960's hell yeah.

New Microwaves that last only 2-3 years are updated improved versions, like everything else you get these days ...from China.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

cmangle (23-10-17),Softek2 (23-10-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

It's not real cooking to my old fashioned mind.

Creating a good meal with some heat, timing and a few basic tools is more my style.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.