Thread: Bosch Solution 16 Domestic Question

Thanks

Default Bosch Solution 16 Domestic Question

Good evening,

Was wondering if anyone could shed light on if the Solution 16 (unsure of software version) can report AC Fails/Restores to self-monitored phones. Looking at installing a Ness-style 3G module, as my grandmother is currently on an oxygen pump essentially 24/7 and we need to monitor whether her flat has power or not. Thought this would also be a good opportunity to investigate having her system dial out to either me or her son in the event of anything.

Also, if anyone has any knowledge on what the phone calls sound like or what information they contain, that'd be great. SMS would be ideal but I don't believe the 16 or 880 panels support this.

If the panel can't do this, does anyone have any other solutions (pardon the pun) that don't require either replacement of the system (except, with say, a newer version of the "classic" Solution 16/880) or central-station monitoring, as her son resists many changes to wiring. Keep in mind she's 82 and won't be able to re-learn a new panel like a Ness or even the Solution 16plus.

Cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Actually, just had an idea but wondering if such a device exists.

The Sol16 can dial out with Contact ID, and could be programmed to generate AC Fail/Restore via CID. Are there any modules available on the market that can convert CID via a short phone line from the alarm dialer, out to SMS via 3G. I would hope something would exist like this, as it appears to be "simple" enough to implement. I've seen an Arduino project that seems to be able to do it but I'm a bit skeptical about using an Arduino for a task like this.

The reason we need AC Fails notified is because if the outage lasts over approximately 20 minutes, my grandmother would need to be placed on an emergency supply such as a generator or taken to a hospital to be put on a backup oxygen supply.

Would really appreciate any assistance

Thanks

You are focusing on the wrong problem.

She needs a personal emergency response system (PERS) aka medical monitoring. Pendant etc. which would allow her to call for help in case of accident and also monitors AC failure. The monitoring centre could prioritise this signal (AC fails are typically not urgent) due to the life-support equipment.

We do this for a number of customers for whom electrical outage represents a possible threat to life.

What you are proposing seems like a great hack, and whilst I love a good hack as much as the next guy they aren't appropriate to life-safety systems.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

minitechie_94 (27-10-17),tristen (27-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    You are focusing on the wrong problem.

She needs a personal emergency response system (PERS) aka medical monitoring. Pendant etc. which would allow her to call for help in case of accident and also monitors AC failure. The monitoring centre could prioritise this signal (AC fails are typically not urgent) due to the life-support equipment.

We do this for a number of customers for whom electrical outage represents a possible threat to life.

What you are proposing seems like a great hack, and whilst I love a good hack as much as the next guy they aren't appropriate to life-safety systems.
    Probably should have mentioned she does have a pendant with an autodialling "emergency" phone already, but I don't believe it dials out in an AC failure. Could you recommend some brands or models that monitor power failures (and obviously has a backup battery).

Also, yes it is a hack to monitor a "threat to life", but just for clarity, and so I don't look like a clown, the threat only exists for prolonged (20+ min) outages. The reason I suggested using the Solution as the "hub" of the monitoring is that many times during the day, no one but her is in the house (in her flat), and having the ability to also potentially receive fire alarms (if they occur) would be ideal. Currently we have a Brooks 240VAC that is interconnected to her flat, but obviously this doesn't connect to the Solution and would require a security system smoke.

Unfortunately, her son is refusing to face the situation of her health and me and her daughter-in-law/my mother are having to do the leg-work in these situations, and are trying to avoid big changes to appease her son. I thank you for your reply, Dan.

Thanks

Those 'monitor it yourself' medical systems sold on radio are an absolute load of horseshit and another fatality waiting to happen when friends and family don't answer or don't know how to respond, much less transmit patient information etc. to first-responders. Or the NBN rolls out.

I don't believe they report AC fail as 'friends and family' won't care. That's if they even have a reliable battery backup. Most don't, as again, they can't report a battery failure the way a Contact-ID reporting device would.

Typically in this situation the only way you would be alerted to a power failure is several days later when neighbours notice a strange odour.

Your friends need to seriously rethink this situation. Hope this helps.

Banned
    Thanks

A medical alarm with a 24x7 assistance can be of great help like with back to base monitoring 24x7. Harvey Norman Security provides Medilink, an emergency alarm system with monitoring. Check out with them.

• 31-10-17, 06:41 PM

Reason
    Self promotion by non premium members is not permitted, as per forum rules.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kerrys View Post
    A medical alarm with a 24x7 assistance can be of great help like with back to base monitoring 24x7. Harvey Norman Security provides Medilink, an emergency alarm system with monitoring. Check out with them.
    So which HN store/s are you affiliated with kerrys?

If HN wish to advertise on Austech, you need to pay.

Back on topic now please.