Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High Court Rules Against 5 Dual-Citizenship Polies, Including Barnaby Joyce

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I guarantee if a member of the public were to be paid money by the government for something they were not entitled to apply for, regardless of whether the welfare recipient did so deliberately or not, they would be ordered to pay it all back.
    Corrected.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

post removed as as it was a repeat of an others.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 30-10-17 at 12:22 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It ain't only pollies that are guilty of this. How many blokes have been employed to do a job that they are not qualified to do? What happens when they are found out? They lose their jobs, and that is about it. In this case, we appear to be holding the pollies to a different standard than the rest of society. In their case, it wasn't that they were "inept" but that their "paperwork" was incorrect.
    Remember that guy that impersonated a doctor?? Actually there are many.
    Jail time for fake doctors, jail time for anyone who gets a high profile job by deception, knowingly.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    jail time for anyone who gets a high profile job by deception, knowingly.
    They certainly may be able to plead that it was not knowingly initially, but not after their case was referred to the High Court, all should have stood down right away till it was sorted out. There has to be some sort of penalty for that surely?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkhannah View Post
    If labor can get it right, and the liberals can get it right....
    Spoke too soon by the looks. All eyes to labor now...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

From the Australian:

Senate President Stephen Parry has informed the government he believes he is a British citizen and may need to resign his position.

The Australian can reveal Tasmanian Senator Parry — who holds one of the most senior parliamentary positions — has become the eighth MP caught up in the citizenship scandal.

The disclosure by Senator Parry will reignite demands for an audit of all MPs and Senators and fuel government fears there may be other undisclosed MPs who are also dual citizens, triggering further by-elections and destabilising the government.
    I have a feeling this is just the start. I wonder when he found out?

Thanks

I wonder just how far Turnbull will be prepared to go to cling to power for a while longer. He's already got one by-election in the House of Reps with Barnaby Joyce. I wonder if any Liberals in marginals are ineligible? Any of our politicians no matter the party who are ineligible and don't disclose it in the next day or so should be prosecuted for fraud if possible. The Libs are the big potential losers here. It wouldn't surprise me to see Labor end up with a majority and form Government at the end of this process.
    Last edited by DB44; 31-10-17 at 06:23 PM.

Banned

Thanks

He has said that if what is obvious, given the facts he has revealed, he will resign. How can he resign if he was never validly elected? Off to the firing squad for him.

It really means that there needs to be a proper audit of all siting politicians and significant tightening of vetting of all future candidates.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Neddie For This Useful Post:

DB44 (31-10-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    I wonder just how far Turnbull will be prepared to go to cling to power for a while longer. He's already got one by-election in the House of Reps with Barnaby Joyce. I wonder if any Liberals in marginals are ineligible? Any of our politicians no matter the party who are ineligible and don't disclose it in the next day or so should be prosecuted for fraud if possible. The Libs are the big potential losers here. It wouldn't surprise me to see Labor end up with a majority and form Government at the end of this process.
    What the coalition need is Craig Thomson...Oh yeah...forgot, he was Labors fingernail clutch wasn't he.

Look, I don't see a real problem here. If Turnbull loses government, then so what? Labor were going to win the next election anyway. It's their turn.

And given that even now Turnbull STILL outpoints Shorten in popularity, we'll see what happens to the ALP earlier, which I have no objection to.

Endless one term governments people, that's what we are in for. That's what we nearly had with Rudd and Abbott....and there'll be more of the same as the 300,000 or so swinging voters get more agitated with their incompetence.

Sad times, but interesting.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (31-10-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

This latest one just beggars belief.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    What the coalition need is Craig Thomson...Oh yeah...forgot, he was Labors fingernail clutch wasn't he.

Look, I don't see a real problem here. If Turnbull loses government, then so what? Labor were going to win the next election anyway. It's their turn.

And given that even now Turnbull STILL outpoints Shorten in popularity, we'll see what happens to the ALP earlier, which I have no objection to.

Endless one term governments people, that's what we are in for. That's what we nearly had with Rudd and Abbott....and there'll be more of the same as the 300,000 or so swinging voters get more agitated with their incompetence.

Sad times, but interesting.
    The Dismissal Dossier Volume 2...

Shorten thanks the queen for sacking the PM, wins the election and declares a republic

Banned

Thanks

Bit of trivia I found on the web -

under recent and little-noticed changes to New Zealand law, Australian citizens now don’t need a visa to live, study or work in the Land of the Long White Cloud. That’s right: Any Australian citizen is entitled to live, study and work there.

That means we’re ALL entitled to the rights and privileges of a subject of New Zealand — not a citizen, with the attached rights and privileges such as voting — but to be a subject of that country, living there, subject to New Zealand law, working or studying. And there’s no doubt that New Zealand is a “foreign power” — you only have to watch the All Blacks do the haka to realise that.

What does this mean?

New Zealand law has made every Australian citizen incapable of being elected to, or serving in, the Australian Parliament. It’s not just Barnaby Joyce: It’s everyone

• The Following User Says Thank You to Neddie For This Useful Post:

Tiny (03-11-17)

Thanks

Every pollie needs to be audited now....

All politicians have to be treated as liars 1st until proven otherwise...

All these supposed background checks before entering politics are a load of bs...
    Last edited by knowabit1; 01-11-17 at 11:00 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to knowabit1 For This Useful Post:

DB44 (01-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    The Dismissal Dossier Volume 2...

Shorten thanks the queen for sacking the PM, wins the election and declares a republic
    No need for an election. When Kerr sacked Whitlam he appointed Fraser as PM on condition an election was called. Fraser could not have governed because he didn't have the numbers in Parliament. If Shorten gets a majority in Parliament then Labor can govern. Mind you, he probably should call an election because the LIbs under Turnbull may as well give up.

He can't "declare" a republic effectively unless he has the army behind him and carries out a coup.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Aaaaaah integrity....it's a wonderous thing..............

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

DB44 (02-11-17)

Banned

Thanks

The ABC understands Mr Parry saw similarities in his own situation and spoke to a Cabinet minister.
    This minister is believed to have suggested he not go public because advice from the Solicitor-General was that other Coalition members like Barnaby Joyce and Matt Canavan would be cleared of citizenship problems.
    Read the story .
    So he relied on the advice of the Solicitor General to the Government regarding other politicians, to keep stum? Was it not the former Solicitor General who was replaced when he wouldn't go along with the Government?

Perhaps now is the time that the rules are changed to ensure a completely independent Solicitor General is appointed, if the current one gets it so wrong, apparently just to please the Government, who now look like shonky mugs.

Edited to clarify post.
    Last edited by Neddie; 02-11-17 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks

Politicians already on the nose and making it worse. Canberra is almost an integrity free zone. My prediction is that they will be forced to have an audit at some stage. Otherwise they will be enduring a death of a thousand cuts as more and more of what can now only be called fraudsters are caught out. The position of dual citizens in the Parliament is now untenable. They signed a false declaration to nominate. If they had a good excuse then they don't know. They know they are not entitled to occupy their positions yet they continue to do so. The rats that now remain make Parry look like a saint, and should be prosecuted if they don't come clean very shortly.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Neddie (03-11-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I don't think a taxpayer-funded audit is necessary.

Each pollie should be forced to do their own research, at their own cost (well... that is technically taxpayer-funded anyway)... a bit like a mandatory medical, to ensure they are complying with the constitutional law regarding their eligibility for the position.

Given they all know and understand now of how the High Court of Australia has ruled on this matter, any pollie who then, after making a declaration of no other foreign citizenship howsoever earned, is found to subsequently hold citizenship other than Australian, should be stripped of any entitlements earned during their unlawful time served in public office.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DB44 View Post
    No need for an election. When Kerr sacked Whitlam he appointed Fraser as PM on condition an election was called. Fraser could not have governed because he didn't have the numbers in Parliament. If Shorten gets a majority in Parliament then Labor can govern. Mind you, he probably should call an election because the LIbs under Turnbull may as well give up.

He can't "declare" a republic effectively unless he has the army behind him and carries out a coup.
    This is a good point though.
    Lets say that the ALP has the numbers to pull the plug on the government.
    Which is the better choice? Gamble on bi-elections or a general election. Or if you knew you had a good chance of gaining ground, force a double dissolution.

I would think that bi-elections as far as any party is concerned is a recipe for trouble. More so if you're the party in power.
    The ALP's current position is that they are not likely to gain any major ground. They're on the nose a bit with immigration and refugees and the economy is relatively stable. I would expect greater wages rises under Labor, but they're not likely to change or decrease immigration.

If I was the ALP, I'd probably let it ride. See what happens to the New England electorate and the other bi-elections and not be too quick to jump into the hot seat.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I don't think a taxpayer-funded audit is necessary.
    I agree, it could be very simple, something along these lines.

The audit could be similar to a tax audit. The onus is on the person being audited to produce the documents requested by the auditor. For example the politicians could be required to produce their birth certificate, the parents birth certificates, and any confirmation of renunciation of foreign citizenship, to an auditor, then once inspected any further documents required by the auditor, eg where politician foreign born, or parents foreign born, a statement from the foreign government regarding that countries citizenship rules at the relevant dates. They may also need to produce their grandparents birth certificates if the auditor deems it necessary once the citizenship rules are inspected.

The onus is then on the politician to obtain and produce the documents within the required time, and all the government need do is provide the auditor to inspect them.
    Last edited by Neddie; 03-11-17 at 12:43 AM.

• Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast