Thread: Bypassing captive portals (including mobile phone carriers)

Thanks

Lightbulb Bypassing captive portals (including mobile phone carriers)

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd post in here about Iodine DNS tunnelling, which lets you connect to the internet through a tunnel over DNS. Basically, if you're in a situation where you're connected to a network (either WiFi or even mobile data) and you're able to resolve a domain to an IP (or access the page to top up your credit, for example) then this will work.

I've put up a tutorial on my blog if anyone's interested over here:

If anyone wants to try it without setting up a server or domain, please feel free to PM me and I will let you use mine

Cheers,
    Dave

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krypt0n For This Useful Post:

crazy (02-11-17),DB44 (02-11-17),ol' boy (02-11-17)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Not that I condone unauthorised access to any network, there are lots of ways to circumvent captive portals some of which are easy, and others that require a bit more work... I've accessed networks by simply MAC spoofing, tunnels, and brute force; and that is why whenever I supply a captive portal to a client I make sure I fully understand the products and networking procedures I am using and installing. Unfortunately, a lot of people expect big name products to be secure out of the box (Cisco for example).

So good luck getting into one of mine :P
    Last edited by Gitch; 01-11-17 at 11:01 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Interesting

I used to noticed, that with my mobile carrier, when your credit was up and you got the "Recharge Screen"
    The app Viber would still send messages, all be it a lot slower.
    That worked for years, but in the year, changes by my carrier have stopped this from working.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Yeah it depends on how the provider limits the service... Back in the day, when knowledge was a lot this handed out ISP's and the like simply redirected DNS requests to their default page and reduced the service to allow minimum bandwidth (only allowing a slow connection to make the payment). Then, as knowledge became easier to obtain, they introduced other methods to limit access such as port restrictions, DNS diversions, and later IP restriction and control.

Pretty much like the restrictions on Pirate Sites. At the moment, it's really easy to circumvent - won't be long until that will become harder and people will find other solutions