Thread: LoRa - A venture into the unknown...

Thanks

Default LoRa - A venture into the unknown...

Evening All,

So with the GSM (2G) networks no longer available, and me being lazy and not organised to roll out replacement devices prior to the cutoff dates... I've started redesigning a couple of existing projects for a few clients. Started at looking to use 3G and 4G modules (as they are remote devices) and then started reading into LoRa - sounding like the perfect solution for me.

Anyway, whilst I think I understand the concept of devices - I still have lots to learn... Especially when it comes to either signing up to use somebody else Gateway, or using it within a private network.

So, is anybody using LoRa / LoRaWAN?? I'd love to hear about your setup...

Gitch

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi, You can count me in as well. From what I can gather so fat, the data rates are very limited. Having said that it might be an ideal platform for MQTT devices over longer distances. there is a bit happening in NZ from observations but nothing here AFIK.

Thanks

I bought a couple of RFM96W modules from Tronixlabs:

It's pretty easy to get going if you've played with Arduinos and other microcontrollers in the past. I haven't tested the range - other than "more than adequate" for comms around my home. As softek2 said: it's only suitable for very small messages like "gate is open"; "water tank is 60% full" things like that. Its low bit rate means you can't use it to surf the Internet or transfer large files. One of the big advantages is very low power use - there are applications like remote reading of water meters, where a system can run for 10+ years from a single A size lithium cell.

To get useful range across a city, you need a network of repeaters in strategic locations. That's starting to happen, but these networks are not open for public use - they're for public utilities and others who presumably contribute towards the upkeep of the repeaters. I guess it's only a matter of time before groups of enthusiasts start putting up their own infrastructure though.

Thanks

Only need to send about 1 or 2 bytes when my action happens. Always seemed overkill having a SIM (which originally had a 1MB minimum per connection)

To get useful range across a city, you need a network of repeaters in strategic locations. That's starting to happen, but these networks are not open for public use - they're for public utilities and others who presumably contribute towards the upkeep of the repeaters. I guess it's only a matter of time before groups of enthusiasts start putting up their own infrastructure though.

That was bit I was getting lost with, so there are private and public gateways.