Thread: Banning Remembrance day Poppies?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default Banning Remembrance day Poppies?

Who the hell is this bloke? Is he for real?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Fortunately, nobody is taking any notice of the moron.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

allover (10-11-17),eaglem (11-11-17),RedXT (09-11-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Nobody took any notice of some of the other loons around and now we have 18c and a host of other social engineering laws we don't need or want, but the good'ol "she'll be right mate" has been our downfall.

Fvck'em...Remembrance Day is who we are as a nation, and how the best of us enabled the REST of us to be here....

I worry.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I suspect a bit of product placement here and fake news.
    If I was somebody selling flowers, what would I do?
    Hmmm...... Pay somebody who needs publicity, even bad publicity to suggest flanders poppies are outdated so people will be patriotically enraged.
    I'd tell everybody that young people don't care and muslims say it offends them because they fought with the Germans.

Send the article to a news clearing house and let several papers pick up in the scandal.
    How'd I do?
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (09-11-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    I suspect a bit of product placement here and fake news.
    If I was somebody selling flowers, what would I do?
    Hmmm...... Pay somebody who needs publicity, even bad publicity to suggest flanders poppies are outdated so people will be patriotically enraged.
    I'd tell everybody that young people don't care and muslims say it offends them because they fought with the Germans.

Send the article to a news clearing house and let several papers pick up in the scandal.
    How'd I do?
    I hope so...the alternatives are just depressing.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Remembrance Day and wearing the poppy, is pretty well established in many countries around the world, so it's unlikely his opinions will have much effect. But, I can sort of see where he's coming from, with respect to how the symbolism has been hijacked by nationalist types, a bit like wearing the Aussie flag as a cape.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Remembrance Day and wearing the poppy, is pretty well established in many countries around the world, so it's unlikely his opinions will have much effect. But, I can sort of see where he's coming from, with respect to how the symbolism has been hijacked by nationalist types, a bit like wearing the Aussie flag as a cape.
    Whats the problem with nationalist types? If they express their opinions openly so what? They have every right to do so, just as gay pride advocates do....

He just seems like a bigot to me who doesn't want to tolerate those who he doesn't like or agree with.

Thanks

Sounds like tall poppie syndrome to me where someone named after a bin wants to confiscate your history.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Remembrance Day isnt about who won or lost WW1 but those who served their Country in a time of War.

The Poppy was chosen as a representative flower as it grew profusely in the fields where Battles had not long been fought there and Soldiers died.

I see no problem with associations selling either Rosemary or Poppies with dedications to Armistice day so long as the monies collected goes to recognised agencies like Legacy.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (11-11-17),enf (09-11-17),lsemmens (10-11-17)

Banned

Thanks

The writer of the original proposal is not a real person, he is a character of a satirist, so don't take the article too seriously.

Dale Sure is a satirist. That’s not normally a profession that needs to be explained. But Dale is a Twitter impersonator and one that is so extraordinarily talented and plausible he has made it onto the Somerset section of the BBC website. Life is tough in liberal 21st Century Britain for aspiring comedians who are up against Dick Emery repeats on Comedy Gold (cable) and the formidable Mrs Brown’s Boys. So, Dale – quick-witted that he is – thinks outside of the box. In the dog eat dog world that is British comedy, Dale does not hang around for breaks. Public-school-educated Dale hides his natural conservatism and uses Twitter to groom his burgeoning liberal audience, who he bewitches to the point where, in the suburban semis and Barratt homes of remain-voting England, they gulp back their post-referendum antidepressants then hang on his every consoling word. Dale is the character Otto English – Marmite personified – loved by those few remaining diehard Remoaners and detested by Brexiteers. Otto seems abrasive, über-liberal and an EU lickspittle, glorifying Brussels and lionising Strasbourg. Here, one of the Country Squires interrogates Dale and, instead of finding a complete Dunt, finds an ardent Brexiteer with an undying passion for Britain and a disdain for those last, querulous anti-Brexiters. Remainers who satirist Dale has hoodwinked all these months and who – doe-eyed in the unfolding grimness of their reality – look up to him as one of their own. Dale’s their rebel, he’s their saviour. Until they read this interview, of course, when they will realise he only ever pretended to be one of their true Remainer Canutes and actually feels heartfelt pity towards them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Neddie For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Whats the problem with nationalist types? If they express their opinions openly so what? They have every right to do so, just as gay pride advocates do....

He just seems like a bigot to me who doesn't want to tolerate those who he doesn't like or agree with.
    I was being polite...

from the original linked story is this link:

LSemmens
    Thanks

Regardless of whether Otto is a real, or not, the persona behind Otto is real, and may be using Otto to hide his true self. The comment from nightblogger, "It's neither disrespectful to servicemen or women to NOT wear a poppy, nor is it an outdated tradition to choose to wear one......." spells it out rather succinctly.
    It's neither disrespectful to servicemen and women NOT to wear a poppy, nor is it an out-dated tradition to choose to wear one. Remembrance is bigger than the Poppy but I wear one to remember all the fallen in WW1/2 and since, to commit to defend peace for all people of all nations, and to support the welfare of our past and present Armed Forces. I don't believe this to be an out-dated tradition, nevertheless people should be free to make their own choice about wearing or not wearing a Poppy and not to do so implies no disrespect to the fallen, nor to current service personnel.
    Nightblogger

Why does the poll give an inexplicable choice in the vote? It's neither disrespectful to servicemen and women NOT to wear a poppy, nor is it an out-dated tradition to choose to wear one. Remembrance is bigger than the Poppy but I wear one to remember all the fallen in WW1/2 and since, to commit to defend peace for all people of all nations, and to support the welfare of our past and present Armed Forces. I don't believe this to be an out-dated tradition, nevertheless people should be free to make their own choice about wearing or not wearing a Poppy and not to do so implies no disrespect to the fallen, nor to current service personnel.

Nightblogger

Why does the poll give an inexplicable choice in the vote? It's neither disrespectful to servicemen and women NOT to wear a poppy, nor is it an out-dated tradition to choose to wear one. Remembrance is bigger than the Poppy but I wear one to remember all the fallen in WW1/2 and since, to commit to defend peace for all people of all nations, and to support the welfare of our past and present Armed Forces. I don't believe this to be an out-dated tradition, nevertheless people should be free to make their own choice about wearing or not wearing a Poppy and not to do so implies no disrespect to the fallen, nor to current service personnel.

Nightblogger

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I bought two today from a digger, so up your nose otto!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

eaglem (12-11-17),lsemmens (12-11-17)

Banned

Thanks

I wore a poppy today as I went to a remembrance day concert at the RSL. Otto's words meant nothing to me, just as anything Mr Bean, Norman Gunston, or Leo Wanker may have said, although in this forum I often see the sayings and sentiments of Alf Garnett propagated regularly by a number of members, who are supported in this by many others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Regardless of whether Otto is a real, or not, the persona behind Otto is real, and may be using Otto to hide his true self. The comment from nightblogger, "It's neither disrespectful to servicemen or women to NOT wear a poppy, nor is it an outdated tradition to choose to wear one......." spells it out rather succinctly.

It's neither disrespectful to servicemen and women NOT to wear a poppy, nor is it an out-dated tradition to choose to wear one. Remembrance is bigger than the Poppy but I wear one to remember all the fallen in WW1/2 and since, to commit to defend peace for all people of all nations, and to support the welfare of our past and present Armed Forces. I don't believe this to be an out-dated tradition, nevertheless people should be free to make their own choice about wearing or not wearing a Poppy and not to do so implies no disrespect to the fallen, nor to current service personnel.

Nightblogger

Nightblogger

Nightblogger

I think the white text was a bad choice.. ;-) And probably only needed to post the second bit once.. LOL

LSemmens
    Thanks

It did not show up for me when I pasted it, so I tried a couple more times. Whoops!

Thanks

Haha, yeah I guessed that's probably what happened.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Nobody took any notice of some of the other loons around and now we have 18c and a host of other social engineering laws we don't need or want, but the good'ol "she'll be right mate" has been our downfall.
    Yes, I can remember when I was a loon and no one took notice. It took a little while, but it happened.