Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Motherboard??? help

Thanks

Default Dead Motherboard??? help

Hi,

I was hoping for some help.

Machine is a Aldi Medion 6310d with a MS 7646 Motherboard.

The other day my PC just seemed to die - no image to the screen but still had power (lights and fans).

Attempting to reboot didnt work, nothing outputed to the screen and no beeps or anything. Again PSU seems to be working as fans and lights on the box are all OK.

I've tried removing Ram, Hard Drive and swapped slots around and again no beeps or anything.

I've tried reseating ram, videocard, cpu and again no beeps or anything.

I've tried resetting the cmos (jumper) and removed the batter and again no beeps or anything.

I'm now at the point where I'm thinking it must be a motherboard problem?? So I had the following questions i was hoping i could get help with!

1) anything else that i can check to confirm it is or isnt the motherboard?

2) Say it is the motherboard - are there any options for replacing the MS 7646? I havent been able to find replacement boards so ideally I dont want to buy a new machine.

3) Worst case, if i bought a new setup I'm not really keen to have to dig out all my emails, data, etc from the Hard Drive. Given that hard drive has a licensed copy of Windows 10 running what would happen if i set it up on either a new machine with different specs or whether I got a new motherboard?? will it boot? will it be licensed? etc?

any advice would be appreciated!!!!

cheers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

getting no beeps at all seems a little out of the ordinary

you say you removed ram cpu etc i would first

1: remove all ram except 1 piece
    2: install a spare video card
    3: start machine and attempt to enter bios

as for replacement boards it would only need to be a socket AM2 ddr3
    Last edited by fandtm666; 08-12-17 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

thanks for the quick reply! I agree the no beeps confuses me!!
    I'll try removing everything again and reseat but i feel like it wont make a difference.

I dont have a spare video card so trying another card isnt an option.

a replacment board would be for AM3 wouldnt it?? Would windows be ok if i replaced the motherboard but left all other hardware?

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i havnt done 1 of those brands, but these budget pc's have a very basic board, being am2 (not in production)
    id look at replacing with say a fm2 board & new cpu in case its the cpu or the board (or intel if your that way)
    but its ddr3 ram? cheering, new board & cpu from $70 each (or go quad core) win 10 should be ok, its a lot more forgiving now then the old xp & win 7 if changing chipsets
    my moneys on the board, but you cant buy cheap new am2 now so upgrade, just watch the new board size (its gotta fit)
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

xapi (10-12-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Actually, just remove everything, and try and boot, you should, then get a loooooong beep telling you, "you forgotten to plug anything in". As for W10, you might be lucky, but....
    I had a machine die on me and, as I had a spare with identical spec, I just swapped the HDD over and all runs well, except, it does tell me that my copy of W10 is not "genuine" because it has, obviously, determined that the mobo is different from when I first activated it. That machine is still running some months later and is still not "genuine". Given that it was only used as a print server (no longer needed) and that it only gets used infrequently as a computer, I cannot tell how up to date it is in regards windoze updates.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

thanks... is it really AM2? I looked at a manual online and it says AM3?

Thanks

hard to tell without serial number or pull heatsink off & read the cpu, it will say
    think ms 7646 refers to both a medion am2 desktop & a ms 7646 am3 board, regardless, its stuffed no?
    & maybe the cpu, buy both if you can $ it, saves heartache later on lol
    or get a 2nd hand job

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Do you have a spare PSU to test it with? I know you said it appears to work, but I would still check just to be sure.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Another thought comes to mind - I may not have a 'pc speaker' plugged into the motherboard and hence the no beeps.
    Before I totally give up anyone know where would the pc speaker plug in? I cant see it on the ms 7646 motherboard!

Thanks

your pushin the friendship now
    do it look like below? they look like a built in speaker, little black round thing near the battery. & guessing, am2 may have onboard graphics, am3 models may not. (manual says theres no speaker pins)
    so, if your has a blue vga port? use no graphics card, 1 stick of ram, clear cmos, boot it up again.
    or does it look like 1 of these

Thanks

yep as phil mentioned there is an on-board speaker all motherboards do for the post startup
    to notify of any issues

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Actually fandtm666, not all mobos do have a built in speaker. Some only have pins to connect a speaker to. It's some years since I've played with one that does not have an on board speaker, but they are out there.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (08-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Actually fandtm666, not all mobos do have a built in speaker. Some only have pins to connect a speaker to. It's some years since I've played with one that does not have an on board speaker, but they are out there.
    they say you learn something new every day and
    i have now thanks , i have honestly never seen one without
    the on-board speaker

Premium Member
    Thanks

look at intel boards for speaker pins

Premium Member
    Thanks

as stated above try another psu in it make sure it is big enough to boot the computer lights and fans running means nothing they pull very little power

check for swollen or leaking capacitors

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

xapi (10-12-17)

Thanks

actually most new board have pins & not built in speaker, the ones that ive used anyway, & if its pins, its only pin 1 & 4 that work, (2 & 3 are a n-c) & you must have the + pin the right way, or it wont beep.

he really should just get new board & cpu if he can $ it

heres a mb for $66 & the cpu is $60 odd, all delivered 150,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by metallima View Post
    2) Say it is the motherboard - are there any options for replacing the MS 7646? I havent been able to find replacement boards so ideally I dont want to buy a new machine.

3) Worst case, if i bought a new setup I'm not really keen to have to dig out all my emails, data, etc from the Hard Drive. Given that hard drive has a licensed copy of Windows 10 running what would happen if i set it up on either a new machine with different specs or whether I got a new motherboard?? will it boot? will it be licensed? etc?
    CPU failure is very rare, motherboards bugger up all the time especially the low end ones. It's almost certainly the MO.

My experience with Win 10 is that hardware replacement doesn't matter except with the motherboard. CPU, RAM, Hard Drive are not a concern licence-wise. The good news is that Win 10 will still run unlicensed and with only a few relatively minor nobbles, the even better news is that M$ may well give you a licence if you ring them and say that your MO burnt out and you bought a replacement. Or, if you don't mind a bit of dodgy dealing you could always use a KMS solution, google around. It would be too expensive to buy a new correctly-spec'ed MO for your older CPU i'd think anyway. You could shop around for a secondhand MO that will take your CPU and RAM etc.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen if you buy a new box with an OEM installed Win 10 and swap out the drives. Modern UEFI machines have the licence permanently in "BIOS" at manufacture so in theory it may still remain licensed even with your present drive installed as the system drive if it's "like for like", e.g. both Home or both Pro OS. Regardless, getting info off the old drive onto the new one is really no problem and that includes emails. It's just a bit time consuming.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    CPU failure is very rare, motherboards bugger up all the time especially the low end ones. It's almost certainly the MO.

My experience with Win 10 is that hardware replacement doesn't matter except with the motherboard. CPU, RAM, Hard Drive are not a concern licence-wise. The good news is that Win 10 will still run unlicensed and with only a few relatively minor nobbles, the even better news is that M$ may well give you a licence if you ring them and say that your MO burnt out and you bought a replacement. Or, if you don't mind a bit of dodgy dealing you could always use a KMS solution, google around. It would be too expensive to buy a new correctly-spec'ed MO for your older CPU i'd think anyway. You could shop around for a secondhand MO that will take your CPU and RAM etc.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen if you buy a new box with an OEM installed Win 10 and swap out the drives. Modern UEFI machines have the licence permanently in "BIOS" at manufacture so in theory it may still remain licensed even with your present drive installed as the system drive if it's "like for like", e.g. both Home or both Pro OS. Regardless, getting info off the old drive onto the new one is really no problem and that includes emails. It's just a bit time consuming.
    If his current version of W10 isn't recognised, then nothing has changed at the link below, until December 31st, still free;
    )
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 10-12-17 at 09:58 AM.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

That's only applicable for machines which have a presently licensed OS that is eligible for upgrade to Win 10, i.e. Win 7, 8 or 8.1. Provided you say you use assistive technology then you can download the files from there. To qualify legally just using an onscreen keyboard is enough and M$ know it's a crock but want as many as possible upgrading to 10. I wouldn't even be surprised if they extend the deadline past the end of this year if they feel there's been insufficient take-up.

If you have an older qualifying OS and you've already got a copy of a Win 10 installation you don't even need to download from there. Additionally, installing Win 7 on a UEFI MO in legacy BIOS mode with a 'Loader' [e.g. Daz's] to activate it and jumping thru a few other hoops lets you then get a digital licence for Win 10 online. It's not something i'd do because it's illegal, i just happen to know about it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

i always do m/b cpu and ram when upgrading because of a faulty m/b

• 10-12-17, 04:16 PM

Reason
    OT

• 10-12-17, 04:31 PM

Reason
    OT

• 10-12-17, 04:35 PM

Reason
    OT