Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NBN Changeovers

Thanks

yep i love talking to people overseas ( not ) which is one of the reasons i went with
    aussie broadband because they have their call center here in auss.

On a side note people wonder why its all gone to crap , i had a meeting with
    the nbn installers who are installing the nbn into the basement on a building
    i look after and we had aa few verbals about where it would be installed etc
    and once i got my way we went upstairs to the pit on the street and this is
    what i was confronted with. Open pipes water piss's into the building etc

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,757 Times in 4,835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    .... Open pipes water piss's into the building etc
    We're starting to go OT, but in regard to pits, there are regulations that require conduits to premises to be sealed to prevent water ingress.

As we know though, regulations aren't always followed.

Thanks

Belong IS Telstra!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    yep i love talking to people overseas ( not ) which is one of the reasons i went with
    aussie broadband because they have their call center here in auss.

On a side note people wonder why its all gone to crap , i had a meeting with
    the nbn installers who are installing the nbn into the basement on a building
    i look after and we had aa few verbals about where it would be installed etc
    and once i got my way we went upstairs to the pit on the street and this is
    what i was confronted with. Open pipes water piss's into the building etc

Looks like the pit in my court, fills with water in winter and drops out with the summer heat - roll on NBN.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,110 Times in 5,223 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Belong IS Telstra!
    Yes, I know that. Thats why I went with them, I want Telstra's network but am happy to pay less as I don't require half of what Telstra's bundle offers and their standalone options werent great. I am providing a honest head to head comparison between the service of the 2 in regards to getting connected. As previously mentioned, another mates Telstra service was connected with no problems from an online signup and his speeds are almost right on 25/1.

Personally I dont care too much about support as I basically never have to speak to them.Whether this changes with NBN, we will see. My ADSL has been rock solid since it was upgraded years ago from a Rim cabinet to a Top Hat. I dont think too many people would be getting these sort of numbers 4.5 kms from the exchange. And the cabinet is at least 400 meters away.

Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate(kbps) 1097 20091
    Max Rate(kbps) 1090 21540

I received an SMS this morning from Belong stating that my NBN Co appointment is scheduled for tomorrow between 7AM and 2 PM.

I ended up finding the new cabinet the other day, and did a rough distance check using the cars trip meter from the cabinet to my property. My guess is a bit over 300 meters, my mate whos order I only recently put in is also my next door neighbour, so it will provide a good comparison in regards to speed.

Of some interest upon sign up......when I signed my mate up via Telstra, he was offered speeds up to 50 (he just wanted standard speed). I just put his address in to Belongs website, and like me, Belong are only offering low speed offerings, guaranteed 12 or 15 at peak times.

Its obvious that Belong are taking a very conservative approach to what they offer, I am presuming many companies are after the ACCC smacked them all recently over this matter. Realistically its the smart thing to do, connect you first and see what your line speed is.

Edit : It seems Belong are refusing to offer full speeds on FTTN only. Its likely my stay with them will be brief as if I am 300-325 meters from the node, I could expect maybe 70 down. But I will get connected first and examine modem stats and see what they say.

Thanks

i am about 50 - 70 mtrs further than yourself and i am rock solid at 85Mbps

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,110 Times in 5,223 Posts

ADSL went off this morning at about 9 am. Didnt bother waiting for Belong to send notification, plugged modem in. Up and running.

I am connected at 28000 and 6400. Modem shows that "attainable" rate is about 80/40, which is slightly better than I expected, so I will have to see whats Belong's attitude is like.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123